Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many certificates haven't you bought yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many certificates haven't you bought yet?

When I started this lark I decided apart from those certs required to solve mysteries, I would also buy all the certificates for my directline ancestors, whether I thought I needed them or not, for completeness.

*places begging bowl in front of thread*

The trouble is, there have always been more mysteries to solve and getting those certs has tended to take precedence over the rather more boring ones........

So, 20 years after starting, I have gone through my tree today and I need nearly £120 to get the remaining direct line certs :(

How many certs do you have on your "required" list???

*rattles bowl in hopeful manner*

*rattles second begging bowl*

I realised the other day that I hadn't bought any of my grandparents birth certificates I knew who they all were and who their parents were, and where they came from so ignored those certs in favour of the mystery ones. All were born before 1901 which was helpful.

Also wondering if there's any point in buying an uncle's birth cert - he only lived an hour according to the death cert.

There are lots of death certificates I haven't got too.
    Barbara

Comment

My list consists of three marriage certs and 14 death certs :(

Comment

I have 3 direct line birth certificates missing - 1 grandmother, but I have a baptism certificate with all the relevant info: One gr-grandmother, but she landed from Venus, so no chance of finding her, but have her sister's : Similarly a gr-gr-grandfather, where there is 2 choices, but again have a siblings.
        Don't think I'm missing any direct marriage certs, but have a few 1st or 2nd marriages to get, and one I found the other day for a umpteenth gr-uncle which will confim a father's name (hopefully).
        Death certs - I keep finding more to get - just got 6 last week. Have 10 on my list at the moment

This only relates to my family - on my hubby's side, I've barely scratched the surface.
        Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

I think I worked it out a few month's ago that I still need to spend about £210 to complete my BMD Certs in the direct line.

"Scribbles on a piece of cardboard and sits on the pavement by a begging BUCKET."
          Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

I think my total to get all of OH and mines direct line certs is about 9 certs.
            I do have it written down but not with me at the mo.

The main reason I haven't got them is not the money, but the fact I can't find them for sure in the indexes.

Comment

*Hands Grampa Jim a can of Carlsberg Special Brew*

Comment

Apart from
                • James Newman's death cert - he had the bad taste to die in the same quarter as another James Newman
                • Henry Sworn's dc (which I'm sure I've got, but cannot locate)
                • John Hawkins's dc - too common a name and I've no idea where or when he died
                I think I have all the C19th names but I don't have full house on the C20th ones.

My wish list for the non-essential ones is huge, though. I keep hoping that MAGPIE when complete will see certs come down in price, because I'd like to know witnesses at siblings weddings and what all the extended family died of.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Having read this thread I have realised that I need to get TOOOOOOOOOOOO many to think about. What has been nice is that along the way I have found some living relatives mainly 3rd cousins and we have been sharing our certs has helped with the costs.
                  *places begging wheelbarrow on pavement with big sign*
                  Nichola

Comment

I have three direct line ones still to get - if only I could find them! As this will require doggedly sending for cert after cert in the hope that I hit the correct one then it will be an expensive job.

*starts arranging Charity Fete*

OC

Comment

lol Merry - I could answer that question with hundreds!

On my Direct line, I have quite a few. I only have 1 death cert, so there's at least 15 more of those to get. I have a few marriage certs, so about 10 of those. As for births - about 16 lol

So, if anyone has a spare £300+, it would be gladly received here :D
                      Tracy

Comment

masses lol, and that's just my side. OH doesn't show a huge amount of interest in his so I will only get a cert if it might prompt more than a "oh yes yawn" from him.

*lobs buttons and rusty washers in receptacles and hands Jim a blanket to sit on*
                        Rose

Comment

There are probably loads of my direct line ones that I haven't got, but I'm not particularly bothered about getting them unless they are going to tell me something. The one I would like the most is a German one and would be very difficult to get.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh you lucky people!!

I just wish I had your problems - Mum was illegitimate and so can't "do" maternal grandfather's line. Paternal grandmother appeared from nowhere so her line's a dead end too.

Having said that, my paternal grandfather was born in Scotland so I've been able to get loads of certs. for £6 per group.

Cath.
                            Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                              There are probably loads of my direct line ones that I haven't got, but I'm not particularly bothered about getting them unless they are going to tell me something.

Ah yes, but you don't know what they will tell you unless you get them!! lol

Comment

Being a permanently skint student I only order a cert if I'm pretty certain it's going to tell me something significant that I don't already know - by that criterion I've more or less completed my set on my maternal lines, as I've traced all of them back to before 1837. The paternal ones are trickier due to the preponderance of ridiculously common Welsh surnames, but thanks to KiteRunner's help on WDWTYA I've just ordered another batch on that side.
                                Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Sorry, but what is MAGPIE- and how much money will it save me !!??

Louise

Comment

I don't have my grandparents' birth certs either, but I do have their marriage certs.

*Joins,everyone with the begging bowls sat on the pavement*
                                    Lynn

Comment

I supose I'm cheating, my cousin is doing my Mums side & I'm leaving him to it, so only have Dads side & I have all the direct line certs back to 1837.
                                      I also have 5 of my Grandads 6 siblings birth certs & marriage certs.
                                      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

I'm just in the process of checking, but think I have ALL the Scottish side as far back as 1855, thanks to SP.

I have gone much further sideways with the Scottish contingent as it is so cheap to get the info (£1.20 if you are clever) and this has answered a lot of puzzles.

It is more or less an instant decision to get these,(and an instant result!) whereas with the English side I tend to think "ooh, seven quid, no, I don't need that one yet".

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X