Death certs for females.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death certs for females.........

As I have not yet ordered any death certs for a female ancestor, could someone tell me if by any remote chance......they give you the maiden name as well as the married name?

I need to find out exactly HOW her maiden name was spelt.......as there is some confusion over her maiden name on the marriage cert.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

I'm afraid that the only way you'd get a woman's maiden name on a UK death cert would be by the accident of her death being notified by someone related and with the right surname - preferably a brother, say.

Christine

PS - And spelling of names hasn't always been as rigorously defined as it is now. With a larger population, the only way you can retrieve records is to use something like alpha-order to store the info, in which case spelling becomes critical.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine.....no such luck I'm afraid, and I see what you mean about the spelling. Her name is so common especially from where she originated, it can be spelt any number of ways....... back to the drawing board!
      Thanks for the reply Christine.
      Jen

Comment

I have a death cert but it is an original from the registrar at the time of registering from 1971 that has her maiden name on and also a very recent one that has a maiden name on but again an original.

But I am not sure about modern certs that you order from the GRO I haven't order a death past 1900. But the older ones certainly don't.

Again of course it does depend who registers it as Christine said they may not have known it.

Comment

I am just looking at my GT Grandmothers death cert from GRO. No maiden name, just her last married name, she married twice. Thats the only detail on there.

George
          Researching Drury, Tinley, Watson, Pavier. Mainly Nottinghamshire

Comment

She died in 1897, and the original must no longer exist, so all in all doesn't look promising then.
            Thanks for all your replies, you've been most helpful.
            Jen

Comment

I think maiden surnames have been recorded on death certs since about 1969
              Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

That's useful to know Helen thanks.
                Jen

Comment

helen is right.

As for your lady, you could ask the relevant local register office what they think the name is. Have you tried finding earlier references in censuses using names that seem likely?

Alternatively you could try a birth cert for one of her children and see if that is any clearer.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell thankyou.......I thought I had exhausted every avenue. Isn't it funny how you always manage to overlook the most obvious answer? She was my g grandmother x2 so I will start with great grandfathers birth cert. He was born in 1858 so hopefully, it may have been spelt the correct way.

The name is Hares BTW but on her wedding cert they spelt it Haers!!!
                    Jen

Comment

I have mentioned this before, but my married surname is four letters long.

I receive letters addressed to Mrs ****, including official letters and letters from my bank, which vary those four letters in a bewildering number of ways, including extending it to five, which is a very common spelling these days, but not in my ex's family line.

If that can happen today, just think of the possibilities 150 years ago when spelling wasn't a fixed thing anyway.

I have also collected 31 variant spellings of my main family name, Holden, including lots without the H at the front. In this case, I do know how it should be spelled because there are historic documents, but if there weren't then it would be anybody's guess!

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X