Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you have an ancestor in the First Fleet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you have an ancestor in the First Fleet?

If so you might be interested in the First Fleet Memorial Park, which we discovered in NSW last weekend. I have posted photo's of it in the Photography thread.

We discovered the First Fleet Memorial Park quite by accident, and found it an exceptionally well created memorial to those brave people who ventured out to Australia with the First and Second Fleets - both voluntarily, and those incarcerated with little choice as to their future.

Just off the Highway about 50 kms south of Tamworth in country NSW (north west of Sydney) at a small village named Wallabadah, we came across this gem. It had been the idea of stone mason, Ray Collins, who had discovered his ancestors had been convicts arriving with the First Fleet. Their surname then had been Cross, but in an effort to hide their convict ancestry, it had been changed to Collins. This did not deter Ray Collins, who was proud of his convict ancestry, and he wanted to preserve and immortalise those people who colonised this vast country.

With the help of a nephew Shannon Collins, who designed the gardens, Ray approached many of the local councils, only to have them agree it was a great idea, but baulked at the committment. Finally the village of Wallabadah came to his aid, supplying the land on the banks of Quirindi Creek which had previously been an unprofitable caravan park.

Ray hand carved the tablets with the names of the passengers, crew, convicts and civillians who came over on the eleven ships of the First Fleet. There are eleven circular gardens which represent the ships of the First Fleet. Each has a main tablet bearing the name and picture of the ship, surrounded by the many tablets full of the names of the people on board.

The Second Fleet Garden, consists of two gardens also with stone tablets arranged by ships.

There are large signs telling the stories, and adding interesting facts such as extracts from logs, lists of the livestock brought on board, and descriptions of the early arrival in Australia.

To anyone who has ancestors from this era, this is a wonderful tribute to their fortitude and resilience. Ray Collins has produced a masterpiece. A secluded, peaceful garden where the history of the arrival of Australia's European settlers and their stories can be absorbed and appreciated.

They supplied a list of the names of people mentioned, so if you have an ancestor who may be included, you might like to post or PM their name and I will check through the list for you.
    On our next visit to Tamworth toward the end of the year, we could photograph the tablet for you.

First Fleet Wiki page:
    http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/First_Fleet#.27.27.27First_Fleet_Memorial_Park_-_NSW.2C_Australia.27.27.27
    Last edited by Guest; 24-06-09, 08:08. Reason: First Fleet Wiki Page

Val...

I know you found my Caroline Laycock.....but I was wondering if there was my gggg grandfather from the Scarborough (2nd Fleet) Mark Turner??

I must visit...it's really just down the road now.

Comment

Sorry Libby - Mark Taylor isn't on the list - however I did read that the Second Fleet info isn't quite completed. So maybe he will be added later.

Comment

You were lucky to come across the First Fleet Memorial Park Val. It looks very interesting and your photos are great.

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Hi
            I have a William Windley b 1799 Essex, died 1885 Kiama, NSW He maried Martha Nicholls b 1809 on jan 1829 in Newcastle, NSW

William was transported 19 jul 1818 on the General Sewart
            arriving in Sydney 31 dec 1818

Also his brother John Windley b 1801, Essex d 1824 NSW - where not sure. He was on the Commandel II arrived in Australa 24 Jul 1819

Thanks

Comment

No sign of Elizabeth I'm afraid Penelope.

Jackdaw I'm afraid I can't help with your Windley's, or Martha Nicholls either.
              Although there was a John Nicholls on the list - not sure if he was crew or convict though. I thought the spelling of Nicholls was significant, so if you are happy to wait, I will check the name out next time we head to Tamworth - possibly at the end of November for a 60th birthday celebration.

Comment

I think we are going in about three weeks, so if anyone wants me to look for them, I'm happy to.

Comment

Would rather pop over and look for myself

but I'm Happy to wait

Comment

Hi Libby
                    Just by chance I was sitting and having a google when I did a search on Caroline Laycock and came across this post. I am a descendant of Caroline & Mark Turner. My line is as follows
                    Mark Turner & Caroline Laycock's son William B: 1794 married Elizabeth Hobbs in 1815.
                    Their son Mark Turner B: 1819 married Catherine Toohill in 1841.
                    Their daughter Eliza Jane Turner B:1850 married William Conway in 1870.
                    Their Son Allan Robert Conway B:1881 married Maud Ann Stafford in 1907.
                    Their daughter MKC married MJFH n in 1941.
                    Their daughter DKH gave birth to me, (out of wedlock, father unknown) in xxxx.
                    I married D in 2011. We both have children from previous relationships.
                    I would love to know your branches & where it is that we connect.
                    Look forward to your reply.
                    Sharon

Even though they are your details, I have had to remove the recent names as per our Ts and Cs regarding living people. If any of them are deceased, the names can be restored. Caroline
                    Last edited by Caroline; 17-01-16, 08:38. Reason: Names removed

Comment

Hello CarolineLaycock and welcome to FTF.

My line is through Caroline Laycock and Mark Turner via their daughter Eleanor Turner who married Robert Batman, then Euphemia Maria Norris Batman (Maria) who married Andrew Thomas Moore, then Arthur Moore who married Josepha/Sophia Dettrich, then Alexander Moore who married Doris Moselle Grant, then to my father Edward James Moore who married Jocelyn Bowler, then me....

All the above named have passed away.

Comment

Working...
                      X