Is this a non starter? Canada connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a non starter? Canada connections

I have an aunt, born 1911 and now passed away.

She married a Canadian Airman but no one knows if the marriage was in the UK or not, from searching the bmd it looks as if it could well have been abroad (Canada). I do know she went to Canada and had children, as far as i know her husband has also passed away and the children now live in America.

Is there anyway to trace the marriage and/or the children? At some point my aunt did research the family tree. Seeing as i cannot find her mentioned on any internet trees anywhere i guess her descendants did not take a huge interest, perhaps her research is lost for good but you never know.

Is there anyway i can look into the Canadian connections from the 1940's onwards? I can't even be sure of her married surname or whereabouts in Canada, i have two possible names but they might be way off the mark.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

If her children now live in the States, might she have died there rather than Canada? If you know some possible surnames, have you tried the US Social Services index?

Comment

There are some BMD's but not all provinces or years are covered on Ancestry Worlwide. If you have a name I could look for you.
      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Never gave that a thought to be honest.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

One of mine married in scotland and so looked on the war brides site and found her on a passenger list.

Canadian War Brides of World War Two, the authoritative website containing accurate reliable information on the history of the Canadian War Brides

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks JBee

I have seen that site before, for some reason i just didn't seem to get on with it at all before and it isn't much different now:D I just find it a swine to navigate.

I just wish i knew the name, (Quinnan or Quinlan are the two mentioned) everything is based on family rumour at the mo although i do have a photograph of the couple.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

What's her christian name?

Need to put in both christian and surname - so will give it a try.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

There are 94 Quinlans born in 1911 on the Social Security death indexes. I can't see any Quinnans. Do you have an exact dob for her, or a first name?

Comment

Sorry, was away elsewhere; I might have confused the issue with the surname slightly.

My aunt was born Elsie Hay 29/06/1911 Lincoln, her hubby is Douglas Quinlan/Quinnan dob unknown.

Family rumour is they married in Canada and i haven't found anything in the uk index to disprove the rumour.

I guess she must have been in the WAAF or similiar, nothing much stands out to me in the picture i have of the couple but the link is below

Family Tree Maker's Genealogy Site: Photo

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

No matches for Elsie Quinlan with dob within three years of the 1991 one.

There is this:

Douglas QUINLAN
                    Birth Date: 22 Sep 1904
                    Death Date: Jan 1976
                    Social Security Number: 557-05-7686
                    State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: California

Death Residence Localities
                    ZIP Code: 94530
                    Localities: El Cerrito, Contra Costa, California

but it's probably a red herring.....

Comment

Thanks Merry

I just seem to hit dead ends with this (Hay) family line, if they married they moved across the world, if they stayed put they remained single.

Elsie was one of nine children, just six lived through to adulthood and apart from the odd thing here and there you would think they never even let slip to siblings they had children.

Not one single cousin i have contacted can name another cousin from the family or all the aunts/uncles.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

No couldn't find Elsie Hay or Elsie Quinnan/Quinlan

However on this site they say you can contact them if you can't find who you're looking for.

Warbrides

Comment

The only Douglas Quinlan I can find in 1911 Canadian census is aged 6, living in Toronto, Ontario with his parents Charles and Dorothy and sister Wanda.

Don't know if this helps at all.

I can't find any Douglas Quinnan or any other similar spelling of the name in the 1911 census.
                          Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 29-01-08, 21:15.
                          My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I will have to have words around the family and see if anyone lets anything new slip out. It's like pulling teeth at times.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen,
                              As you have already said there does not seem to be much to go on in the photograph but looking at the it, it appears that Elsie is wearing the uniform of the Auxillery Territorial Service, other wise known as the ATS, and other than her rank chevron's she also has a formation sign below her shoulder tab. It also looks like she has a wedding band on her finger as well.

don

Comment

HI Glen

Just to point out that the following Death entry was regarding a man who was born in Michigan and was married by the time of the 1930 census

There is this:

Douglas QUINLAN
                                Birth Date: 22 Sep 1904
                                Death Date: Jan 1976
                                Social Security Number: 557-05-7686
                                State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: California

Death Residence Localities
                                ZIP Code: 94530
                                Localities: El Cerrito, Contra Costa, California
                                WendyP

Comment

Working...
                                X