Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I am on a roll, but could do with a push!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI all

This is a funny one I've been looiking into this one a little and found that a Thomas G Levy bn vcirca 1826 Chatham Kent married in 1874 for the second time to an Emmline Mary John? bn circa 1826 Hampshire they are on the 1881 together in Portsea.

Now that Official marriage index shows the marriage indeed as JOHN but I wonder if there was the chance it could have been misheard or misread and shoudl have been JOLIN as that would fit.

Or am I just trying to show at least a connection of an Emmeline Mary to a Levy?

WendyP

Comment

Oh Wendy, you are right! She is the right age for this one as well, I already had that marriage noted down as thomas George was my gg grandfather's brother. It looks like this lady has got her wires crossed. It is not as though it is a popular combination of names either.
      Lynn

Comment

In case you hadn't noticed, there are quite a few references to William on Google Book search:

Google Book Search

There are some tantalising snippets, including this one:

she entered into correspondence with a young blind man, named William Hanks Levy, who had lately married the matron of the ...

Some Eminent Women of Our Times ... - Google Book Search

Comment

Thanks Mary, I had seen a mention of his book but not that extract, I will have to have a look.

Well I am totally buzzing this morning, because I have had a reply from the owner of the Jolin website. she confirmed that she hadn't found a marriage to Emmeline, but that her information came from the descendent of Emmeline's sister, who had a memoriam that Emmeline had written about her husband, but I think it was her husban's cousin, as Thomas George Levy was William's cousin. It gives details of his mother & how he was blinded at her funeral. he was then raised by his grandmothre in rochester until her death in 1840 & went to live twith his father & 2nd wife, which fits with where I have him in 1841. It says his father & uncle were in the marines, although his father was a shoemaker, according to my records, his uncle who I am descended from was in the marines. I have got further details of his life as well. I am SO pleased.
          Lynn

Comment

I would like to add that I have looked for Emmeline Jolin on the census & can find no record of her anywhere, although I did find an Emmeline John in 1871, before her marriage to Thomas George Levy and I am now certain that she did not ever marry William.
            Lynn

Comment

Update

I had an email from my contact & she has looked & reckons that I am right about Emmeline marrying Thomas Levy, as the 1881 census show Emmeline's niece as living with them. Also the memoriam that she was sent was written by Mrs William Hanks Levy, but didn't say her name. The man who sent it must have assumed that as Emmeline married a Levy, that it must have been her who married William
              Lynn

Comment

Great news Lynn.
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, it is nice to be proved right.
                  Lynn

Comment

Working...
                  X