Parish Registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parish Registers

Anybody having problems finding parish registers for Paglesham in Essex. I am reading a book A History of Essex. The following is a quote from the book.

"By far the most profitable and widespread marshland activity was smuggling. Around 1800, the entire population of Paglesham was engaged in this 'free trade'. In one year they smuggled in 13,476 gallons of geneva and brandy, and £200-worth of silk at a time was hidden in three hollow elms near East Hall. The most famous Paglesham smuggler was 'Hard Apple' Blyth, churchwarden and grocer who wrapped up the butter and bacon in pages torn from the PARISH REGISTERS!!!!!

No wonder we have problems finding some baptisms, marriages and deaths lol.

Barbara

OMG :D
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Yes, it was not uncommon for churchwardens to view the parish registers as a source of wrapping "paper" for their business.

Others if they could not be bothered to transcribe a particular entry would simply tear the relevant page out and send that off.
      A few others viewed the old registers as rubbish and simply threw them away.
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Even now, our County Archivists weep at the amount of valuable history that goes into skips when public buildings are sold.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

I think I have whimpered on here before about the scandal (in my view) of my local town council who threw out volume after volume of old rates maps, tithe maps, building plans from the late 1800s and various other little local treasures.

In their defence, they did offer them to County Archives (refused) local Town archives (refused) County museum, town museum (refused) before they skipped the lot. They were NOT ALLOWED to sell them.

OC

Comment

Perhaps each council should have an unofficial local archivist. I'm sure there are people out there who would volunteer to store information donated to them.

When I was working for the civil service, I was made to do what they called 'thinning'. This was to shred all old paperwork about benefit claims to make room for new stuff. It wasn't really old, perhaps from the 1970's. At the time, I thought nothing of it but now I see how that info might help people in the future.
            Hail Spode!

Comment

Working...
            X