PL or PC next to female names 1841

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PL or PC next to female names 1841

Over on GR someone has asked what PL next to a females name means on the 1841. Someone has answered Personal Laundress ............ - so guys, what does it mean? It keeps ringing a bell, but ............. have a look on the census imageplease - every female virtually has these letters next to her:

Look up this boy for the right page:

James Kiff age 12 Hertfordshire (Smallford Hertfordshire) .

I wonder if they were straw plaiters?
    Heather

Comment

Parish labourer? (On loan from the workhouse)

OC

Comment

I have never seen this before, which makes me think it was something localised to an area I've not researched.

Comment

Hmm, must be an answer mustnt there. Too many to be parish labourers OC and they are in the home - so there must be something they do at home, or something to do with their status.

I guess if we look at the later census ............

Comment

If you go to the first page of the census there is some writing at the far left of page which says PL= Plait ???? all through
            The writing is vertical on the page.
            Elaine

Comment

Is it Plait trade ?
              Elaine

Comment

Straw-plaiting (for hats) was a trade in Beds/Bucks/Herts - think of Luton (don't let my Watford-supporting son see that I typed such a heresy! ;)).

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well doen guys, we think plaiters then? Ill go back and tell the OP

Comment

Working...
                  X