Best I could find

Births Dec 1868
    WOOLF Clara Lucy Whitechapel 1c 372

Comment

Originally posted by Jammy Dodger View Post
      Best I could find

Births Dec 1868
      WOOLF Clara Lucy Whitechapel 1c 372
      Yes, I looked at that one, but I couldn't find her in 1871. There's a marriage for that name, which I've not investigated, but there's also a marriage of a plain Lucy in Islington before 1891 and that bride fits for age too (found her after marriage to Ernest Binyon or Benyon) and she says she was born in Spitalfields. Why can't they be straightforward?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
        Have you got a scan of the cert? You can post up a portion on here and then others could offer their opinions!

What was Alfred's father's name? (I'm not going offtrack - really)
        Hi there, I've attached a copy of the marriage cert showing both fathers for Alfred & Mary and their occupations. Hope someone can help with deciphering their names and occupations. I think one of them is a 'Piano Forte Maker'.

I would really like to know the occuation of Charles O'Brien (bottom right).

Thank you.

Comment

That's really difficult, isn't it?!!!

*passes, in favour of everyone else*

Comment

Any capital Ws in the cert? I could make a case out for Waiter.

The writer looks as if he simply leaves blots all over the place, but the vowels look like ai, I assume the crossed upright is a t and the last two letter of Maker look identical.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
              Any capital Ws in the cert? I could make a case out for Waiter.
              I've checked the cert and can't see any Ws.

I also thought that the end of the word may have been 'ter' and looking at other letters on the cert the 1st one may be an 'S'. Would you agree that both father's are named Charles? any help with the other names for Charles Edmunds (the top one) would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Comment

It looks like Charles something James Edmunds. Having looked through the deaths and marriages on FreeBMD for Charles Edmunds in Middlesex, London and Surrey and looking at the ones with more than one forename, there's nothing that fits at all!! I've also been looking for Charles as a piano maker or associated occupation etc in 1861/71/81 with no luck.

Who were the marriage witnesses?

Comment

Could the second occupation be "Theater"?

Comment

could the top name be Charles Wm something?
                    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

TT can you put a bit more of the cert on here so we can compare words and letters etc.
                      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help and suggestions. I've added the remainder of the marriage certificate. I thought I was quite good at reading the writing on old certs, but this one has really got me stumped!!

Thanks Carole

Comment

Alfred's father is charles B? James Edmunds I think. The B is the same as bachelor and Bethnal
                          Jules

Comment

Looks to me like charles O'Brien's occupation is S**rater, the S looks the same as Spinster and the r looks the same as in charles. But this is really hard to decypher.

Alfred seems to be a cabinet bearer rather than cabinet maker... maybe I'm just not good at this LOL
                            Jules

Comment

I agree with your ideas Jules, but I think cabinet carver is what it says for Alfred Edmunds.

Comment

There's a Charles Benjamin Edmunds marrying in Shoreditch in 1840. I don#'t feel happy with that - he is a clerk in 1841. Will have a look for him in 1851.

Comment

That Charles Benjamin is a dealer in 1851 and 1861. He doed have a son called Alfred, but he is 7 (called Longman in 1851 which was Charles' wife's previous name - odd as they were married in 1840!) and 16 on those censuses which makes him older than on the later ones and closer in age to Mary O'Brien.

Not convinced, though Alfred wasn't a very common name.....

Of course it could be that Charles was trained to build pianos, but didn't do the job.

Comment

maybe you could contact the local record office to see they have the parish register? oh it's london, so that might not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                      I agree with your ideas Jules, but I think cabinet carver is what it says for Alfred Edmunds.
                                      Agreed, I thought carver earlier, then forgot what I thought I saw LOL (does that make sense?)
                                      Jules

Comment

(does that make sense?)
                                        definitely!

Comment

Hmmm......that Charles Benjamin.....

He died between 1861 and 1871 and the family are in Bethnal Green for both those censues, but I can't find his death reg yet.

In 1871 two of his sons - Francis and William aged 14 and 16 are both wood carvers. Coincidence?? (I wasn't really looking at the childrens occs before this, so I suppose I should go back :()

Comment

Working...
                                          X