Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deciphering a name

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Deciphering a name

    Can anyone read the first name on this I know the other one is Theodore. I know its male because they listed all the boys and then the girls irrespective of ages.

    This family is unbelievable even for that time, one of OH's ancestors family. The wife had 14 children between 1819 and 1838 which is by my reckoning 1 a year nearly! and they all lived in the same little terraced house in Bethnal Green which was probably 2 up and 2 down no doubt.

    Name decipher.jpg

    #2
    Maggie, can you give the census reference- it is sometimes easier to see the whole page to compare the writing.
    Elaine







    Comment


      #3
      Could it be Edgar?

      Comment


        #4
        It´s OK - have found it!

        I think it is Edgar - if you check the 'g' in George, three lines up, it is very similar.
        Elaine







        Comment


          #5
          Edgar was my first thought too.
          Jay

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Maggie, can you give the census reference- it is sometimes easier to see the whole page to compare the writing.
            Sorry I always forget.

            I was just about to edit it and the phone rang.

            Would never have thought of Edgar!

            Comment


              #7
              Thank you very much.

              Edgar it is then.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                It´s OK - have found it!

                I think it is Edgar - if you check the 'g' in George, three lines up, it is very similar.
                I just had a thought! How the blinking heck did you find the actual census with just that clip to go on

                Interestingly the parents and older children all seem to be weavers except for OH's ancestor William who's a Smithy and eventually becomes a Whitesmith.
                Last edited by maggie_4_7; 14-04-09, 06:42. Reason: Typo as usual - I hate typos, between typing and posting the gremlins always strike

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                  I just had a thought! How the blinking heck did you find the actual census with just that clip to go on
                  Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                  Can anyone read the first name on this I know the other one is Theodore.
                  The wife had 14 children between 1819 and 1838 ..... and they all lived in the same little terraced house in Bethnal Green
                  Had to be 1841 if the last child was born in 1838 - had to be Bethnal Green - so did a search for Theodore born 1835 (shows as age 6 in your clip) living in Bethnal Green!
                  Elaine







                  Comment


                    #10
                    Oh yes.

                    I expect there weren't many little boys named Theodore aged 6 in Bethnal Green in those days. :D

                    No idea how that name popped up yet!

                    I think they were certainly running out of names to name one daughter Elizabeth and another Eliza!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X