canterbury Diocese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canterbury Diocese

Im sure O.C. or Merry or someone else will know - when a marriage in Boyds has a note "Canterbury Diocese" I just assume this doesnt mean it happened in Kent area but that because the Archbishop of Canterbury is the primate the records would cover any area. Now I dont know why I think this, but Ive always assumed it - is that correct?

Yes, correct Heather.

I don't know much about the Canterbury Diocese, but I do know that other Diocese cover some astonishingly ungeographically related territory.

This goes back to ancient land holdings by the church, which weren't necessarily covered by geographical boundaries as we know them today.

For instance, someone who died in 1100 may have left all their estates in Lancashire to the Abbey of Canterbury, and those lands will be under the jurisdiction of Canterbury even today.

OC

Comment

Thanks O.C. its one of those things I sort of "know" but dont know and Im embarrassed to question. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Heather

this is a link to the extent of the dioceses of Canterbury and London, and peculiar jurisdiction of the archbishop of Canterbury:

Extent of diocese of Canterbury and London
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Not forgetting that there's the Diocese of Canterbury (relatively local), and the Archdiocese's half-share of the country with York having the other part.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X