Ann Mitchell - where'd she go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ann Mitchell - where'd she go?

Ann Coverly Mitchell, b. ~1837, in Stepney, d/o John Bidgood Mitchell and his wife Ann Coverly.
    * She's with them in the 1841 but not in 1851.
    * I think it's highly likely that her parents had significant financial problems, and Ann had died or was working out of the household by the 1851.

* I searched the GRO index of deaths with likely ages from 1841 to 1851 without success.

* There is a possible entry of Ann Mitchell in the 1851
    Ann Mitchell (16) servant (nurse, presumably for infant in household) in household of Lewis Hart in St Marylebone in Marylebone registration district in Middlesex.
    It says she was born in Marylebone, but I don't trust entries for servants and lodgers. Seems like they are often approximations.

* I was unable to find the same family in the 1861, but by 1871 they have a different young woman working in their household.

I did not locate a likely marriage, but I haven't looked again recently, so don't remember any details of that search.

Page on WikiTree:
    Is this your ancestor? Explore genealogy for Ann Coverly Mitchell born 1837 Middlesex, England, United Kingdom including ancestors + more in the free family tree community.

*** Can anyone find anything for Ann? Three of her brothers went in the military service, one eventually went to the US.

Those common names, so difficult to research!
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 03-04-24, 00:45.

I've had a look and can't find anything except what you already have, sorry.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I think this might be her in 1861
      Ann Mitchell
      Female
      Servant
      Spitalfields, Middlesex, England
      Edmonton
      St James
      Middlesex
      https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui.../10980073:8767
      but can't find anything with enough information after that.

Comment

Lin Fisher Thanks for looking. Those common names are tough!

Comment

Several of the children, including Ann, were baptised at St Dunstan & All Saints in 1844 with the address of Mile End Old Town, so I think this may be the correct 1851 census for her:

5 Thomas Terrace, Mile End Old Town - HO107, Piece 1553, Folio 758, Page 10
          C Jones 27 Commercial Traveller born Rother__, Surrey
          Francis Jones 30 wife b Finsbury Workhouse
          Pamela Jones 2 daur b Blackwall, Middlesex (?)
          Fanny Jones 4 daur b Stepney, Middx
          Pamela Williams 19 niece Visitor b Stepney, Middx
          Ann Mitchell 15 Servant b Stepney, Middx

Comment

teasie thanks for that find. I’ll have to give it a look when I can.

Comment

Working...
            X