Searching for a house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for a house

My husbands grt grandfather lived at a house called 'Portavia' on Coledown Hill, Plympton St Mary in 1939.

We'd love to know which house it is but the road is now numbered and all the house names are gone.

Is there a way of finding out which house this is?
    Queenbee

Not sure how you'd do this from afar unless the old electoral lists are online, but I have done a search similar to this in my local area by going to the main library and looking at old books of electoral lists and noting surnames of neighbours of OH's ancestors and comparing this through the years with known neighbours of 1939.
    The lists are shown in areas, so a larger town might have several areas or wards. Each ward has streets listed in alphabetical order.
    Lists weren't taken in the war years, but appeared again in 1946.
    By noting surnames in named houses, it is sometimes possible to match that with later lists, when numbers were used instead of house names.
    One of my other families dodged around in many houses within the same street.
    Using neighbours' names helps to confirm that you have the right house if the combination and location of names is correct.

Comment

That's great advice. The family lived there until 1968 at least. Thankfully they weren't the type to house hop! They actually named the house Portavia themselves.

Queenbee

Comment

I had the same problem last year, trying to find a house that used to have a name but was now a number. I found that the relevant village had a history page on Facebook and asked my question there and almost immediately received an answer. I see that there are 2 pages for Plympton on Facebook, Plympton Civic Society and Plympton Past and Present. You may need to join the group before you can post your question.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Ooh, I have found it on Google maps - Looks like it is No 43, but is stilled called Portavia . It is the yellow house.

Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

ozgirl you are a star!!!!

Husband and I drove diwn the road a couple of years ago to try and find it - but its quite a busy long road and not very suitable for slowly cruising down looking at every house. Well, not if you don't want the police called

but still great advice re Electoral roll and Facebook groups. Deff will keep that I mind for other properties
            Queenbee

Comment

I encountered a similar issue last year when searching for a house that transitioned from a named property to a numbered one. I discovered that the village in question had a dedicated history page on Facebook. I posted my inquiry there and received a prompt response. It seems there are two Facebook pages for Plympton: Plympton Civic Society and Plympton Past and Present. You might need to join the group before you can ask your question.

Comment

Working...
              X