Pocket Book Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket Book Maker

struggling to find what this is, all the references say they make pocket books! US call their wallets pocket books, and there are books that are called pocket books

it follows on from this tree
    I am now trying to 'complete' this chap. son of James Bell and wife Amelia Palmer https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/193937878/person/182528707791/facts only full sister Emma Amelua I think, then it looks as though Amelia died, as yet I cannot find death in London or Sheffield. I have found this 1851 census,

they are cabinet box makers and also pocket book makers. The business seems to follow the direction of wooden boxes, and another family member moves onto carboard boxes
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

I think it is a leather wallet, just found reference to one lost in 1836

" POCKET BOOK LOST. OST in SHEFFIELD, on Tuesday last, BLACK JiJ LEATHER POCKET BOOK, containing (alon? with several Memorandums) the following Bankers’ Receipts. and Scrips lor Shares: - SHEFFIELD AND ROTHERHAM RAILWAY. Serin Receipts for Shares Numbered ..."

seems an odd combination with the wooden boxes, maybe they lined them in leather so had same skills
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Just googled it and there is a chat on Roots Webb but they aren't really any the wiser but most seem to be in Islington. They seem to thing leather case maker goes with it as well.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I found that as well, but people seem to be unsure. There are too many modern versions of a pocket book to get good results. Thinking they are maybe more sizeable than a wallet, when you see how much he had in his that he lost, and I am guessing they are quite big pieces of paper.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Comment

I thought that they were elongated wallets? praps 8 inches long and maybe 4 or 5 inches wide? fold in half lengthways and typically inserted into an inside pocket?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

If you read the description here it gives a great insight for the history of them. Also if you think about it 'bank notes' back then were massive so they'd need something big to put them in?

Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

In the US, a wallet is also known as a pocket book.
              Jenny

Comment

Working...
              X