The mystery of Peter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mystery of Peter

I have traced my Greasley line back to George Greasley who lived in Leicester in late 1600's, married to Mary Ashwell. There are over 100 trees on Ancestry, and various other ones on FamilySearch who give George's father as Peter Greasley. According to many of the trees, Peter was born in Leicestershire in 1630 (some say in Shepshed) the son of William Greasley. Peter died in 1737, and must have been a bit of a goer as he was having children up until the age of 112. I have been through all the baptisms for Shepshed in the 1600's (images on FMP) and William only had 3 children, none of them Peter. There is no baptism for a Peter Greasley anywhere in Leicestershire in the 1600's, although one did die in Shepshed in 1661. None of the trees have any sources for Peter's birth or for him fathering a George in 1658

Can anyone find any trace of this elusive person or should I just write him off as a random entry that has been copied by all and sundry.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Hi, Don't know if this is any help. Have found George marrying Mary in 1676 St Mary de Castro, Leicester and 2 burials in 1711 and 1715 in the same church. Not sure which one is yours, if any. Just to make sure I am on the right track.

The only George's bap I can find is 1661 in Shepshed to a Richard Greasley.

I think someone has decided it's Peter and everyone has copied it.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Hi Lin, yes that is my George marrying in 1676. As well as the George born in Shepshed in 1661, there is another one born there in 1646, whose father was another George. I think the one born in 1661 would not have been old enough to marry in 1676, but the other one is a possibility. The burials could be either him or his son George - unfortunately I haven't found any helpful wills!
      Linda

Comment

Could be worth following them through and see if any of them have brothers and sister with unusual names that you already have from George and Mary. A long shot but perhaps worth a try.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

There is a will for the George buried 1715, in which he describes himself as George Greisley, Framework Knitter of Leicester. He mentions brothers Thomas & Francis, mother Mary and sisters Ann, Mary Jane and Katherine. This suggests that he is the son of 'your' George, who is possibly deceased by then as I don't see him mentioned, although I'm only skimming it so I may have missed it.

There is a will for Peter Griesly/Greseley of Shepshed (1689) but I don't see a son named George mentioned.

The 1698 will of George Greasley, yeoman of Quorndon mentions a son named George but I don't think he's your George (he inherits his fathers house).

I don't have time at the moment to look at all of the Greasley (and variant) wills, but there may be something helpful within them.
          ‚Äč

Comment

Thanks for the will for George d 1715 Teasie - I must have missed that one, looking at so many ! Yes that is definitely the son as he mentions his uncle Josiah Ashwell, confirming his mother as Mary Ashwell. So it seems reasonably likely that George who died in 1711 was the father as when Mary died in 1722 she was a widow.

I also had a look at the one for Peter in 1689. I am trying to do a small tree for him and his descendants/ancestors to see if I can connect him somehow but not having much success.

The Francis Greasley mentioned in George's will is my 6xGGF.
            Linda

Comment

Working...
            X