Any help reading Brides name please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any help reading Brides name please?

I'm trying to figure out just what this brides surname is, she marries John Holder in Birmingham on the 12th September 1831

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...319698&hid=103 1166262422&_phsrc=bPF203&_phstart=default

Mary Ann & John Holders marriage 12 Sept 1831.jpg

there are two possibles and neither of which actually glean any other records, I can't find a bapt for her at all.

Any ideas are appreciated, thank you. ‚Äč
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

I'm fairly confident it starts with an H but after that I'm not sure :D
    Queenbee

Comment

Agree first letter is most likely 'H' - matches how it was written with "Holder" and "Hunt" witnesses
      Think there's a 'p', which matches the one in "September" and "Spinster"
      Probably "er" between those two letters.
      I think the last letter is 'l'? what could be extensions below really seem to belong to the 'S' in "Spinster" below, and 'p' from the same word.

But - I've not heard of Herpel? Hespel? Even in the "solemnized" line it's difficult to read. And it seems like such nice handwriting!

Comment

Did they have children?
        Although early after 1837, births were not always registered, may be the GRO might list children with mother's maiden name.

Comment

Agree with Sara, looks like Herpel or Hespel. What name does it sound like? Maybe an accent distortion?

Comment

Welll.................... I've found her MN and it isn't anything like you'd expect. I'm guessing that she has a fairly thick/broad accent West Midlands/Brummie accent [think Peaky Blinders] They had a daughter Sarah Ann born in 1840 and she died in 1845.

According to GRO her MN is HERBERT, which if you think about it could be misheard with a thick accent and the registrar not being 'of the area' just need to see if I can go back a a bit more now.
            Julie

Comment

I do wonder if the marriage is the original or a bishop's transcript. Perhaps finding the original would be clearer? To see if "Herbert" was badly copied?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                I do wonder if the marriage is the original or a bishop's transcript. Perhaps finding the original would be clearer? To see if "Herbert" was badly copied?
                Dunno, though I think that the mother Syderina was unmarried when she had Mary Ann, though I have yet to find a baptism for Mary Ann. Syderina married Joseph Stevens in 1815 when Mary Ann was about 3yrs old.
                Julie

Comment

Working...
                X