No announcement yet.

Attempting to find the father of Harold Arran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devoninheaven have you got the will now?

very odd to change birth cert isn't it.

NB I am often in Saffron Walden atm!
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 17-01-24, 00:13.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Devoninheaven View Post
      Thanks again everyone for being so helpful.

I do still struggle to wonder why a 71 year old would suddenly feel the urge to change her son's birth certificate unless the marriage of her son a few years prior triggered something that the 2 weren't aligned and it needed to be corrected.
      Maybe she wanted to 'meet her maker' with a clear conscience? was she religious at all?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Maybe she wanted to 'meet her maker' with a clear conscience? was she religious at all?
        that could be likely, explained all to the son and wanted to get it right for him

Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          The timeline looks to be a good summary. I'm curious to know what father's name Harold put on his marriage certificate? Perhaps the difference between the fathers on his birth and marriage certificates was causing some friction if your grandmother saw them both? It would certainly raise eyebrows!
          Anne
          On the Birth certificate it was Abel Blythe Arran - suspect it may have been Abel Blythe per Anthony's suggestion
          On the Marriage certificate it was Ernest Frederick Arran - no idea on this one, Norah was married to Frederick Abrahams, but he died in 1951. Feels like she just kept telling more lies to conceal the first

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Not too sure. Harold's wife, my grandmother, was told that he was an illegitimate child by Norah on the day of the wedding. They apparently famously did not get on at all. I must admit I do like the idea of the suggestion tho, but then why not when making the change in the birth certificate put the actual name, why only remove the name?

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              Devoninheaven have you got the will now?

very odd to change birth cert isn't it.

NB I am often in Saffron Walden atm!
              I did get Abel Blythe's Will:

I, ABEL BLYTHE of The Red House Galleywood Road Great Baddow in the County of Essex revoke all former Wills and testamentary dispositions made by me and by this my last Will made this 22nd day of March 1951. One thousand nine hundred and fifty-one devise and bequeath all my real and personal estate whatsoever and wheresoever unto my wife Any Gladys Blythe absolutely and appoint her sole Executrix of this my Will.​
              They didn't have any children between them and can't see any reference to another child prior to their marriage. But yes seems very much like that period in the 1950s, with the loss of her husband (Frederick) and her son getting married may have triggered something that she felt compelled to correct. But would have appreciated a slightly less subtle hint 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Devoninheaven View Post
                then why not when making the change in the birth certificate put the actual name, why only remove the name?
                Because the correction to remove the apparently "made up" father is something that can be done by two suitable informants who make statutory declarations, which it seems is what happened.

To add the real father's details, to an entry for unmarried parents, would need him to be present to agree and to sign as a joint informant.​
                Last edited by AntonyM; 19-01-24, 09:31.
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post

Because the correction to remove the apparently "made up" father is something that can be done by two suitable informants who make statutory declarations, which it seems is what happened.

To add the real father's details, to an entry for unmarried parents, would need him to be present to agree and to sign as a joint informant.​
                  Ah ok thank you - wasn't aware of that crucial point 😀

So conceivably the father could well have been Frederick before they got married. He died 1 year before Harold got married. Harold's wife and her family may well have challenged Norah to understand who the father was, they were told on the wedding day and came from a very traditional background. Norah maybe felt obliged to correct the birth certificate but couldn't fully due to Frederick passing away and therefore had to settle for second best and remove the apparent "made up" father. Of course all of this is only conjecture - will have a look into DNA tests in the off chance that it might narrow down.

Thanks again Anthony for your help - really wouldn't have made it through the tangled web this far!

Comment

Working...
                  X