Digitisation + destruction of English wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitisation + destruction of English wills

The UK government is proposing to digitise all English wills from 1858 onwards, as they cost £4.5 million in storage fees per year....

Fantastic, the wills are digitised.

Here's the fine print.....they propose to then destroy the originals to free up storage space?!?!?! But, of course they will retain "famous" or "important" wills, such as Dickens + the late Princess of Wales.

Genealogists, historians and amateur family archivists will be better able to access historic wills under proposals published today (15 December 2023).
    Last edited by kylejustin; 17-12-23, 18:36.

kind of makes sense that they will destroy them, otherwise they won't save the money. can't decide if I agree or not!
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I don't agree with destroying historical documents full stop. It's going to cost money to preserve historical documents. I think frankly, it's disgusting a handful of bureacrats think they have the right to destroy historical documents, let alone to "save money". Give them to the national archives.

Comment

Also, what about the precedent they will set with this?

Comment

The vast majority of government/official papers are already destroyed, and always have been. The things that get kept are a tiny fraction of what is produced.

So- when submitting comments to this consultation, make sure to emphasise why these particular documents are so important and should be retained.
          Last edited by AntonyM; 18-12-23, 10:37.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I, for one, would like to have the original rather than a copy of a 'digitised will'. What's the chance they would offer the opportunity to request the original be posted to a relative for the price of a stamp? None, probably!
            Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

I recently came across https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions and signed their petition, if anyone is interested. I was the 11437th to sign.
              Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

When I think of what happened to WW1 service records in fires caused by German bombing raids in WW2 I am all for digitization of old wills.

At least the digitized records would have a far better chance of survival if ever such a disaster happened again.
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
                X