Divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce

Can anyone tell me how to find divorce records on line, probably 1940/1950.
    thanks.
    Cath.

National archives:

"Each divorce suit created a case file. The National Archives holds case files for all divorces from the Supreme Court 1858-1937 – very few case files survive after 1937.​"

"The survival rate of divorce case files is:
    • 1858-1927: almost 100%
    • 1928-1937: 80%
    • After 1937: less than 0.2%"
    looks like newspapers are your best bet.

Comment

Thanks. Sadly local paper isn't on line and I don't know exact date and don't fancy wading through years of film for a branch of the family I'm just checking out. Easiest thing is probably to get the marriage certificate for second wedding.
      Cath.

Comment

Assuming England/Wales, then for post 1937 divorces the records, which means the decrees (not case papers) are still held by the court system.

You can order them here - but if you only have names the searches can be expensive.

How to order a copy of a decree absolute or a final order if you want to remarry or prove that you have divorced your former husband or wife or ended a civil partnership.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for that. I think I 'll have to pass on this one. Looks rather expensive for an odd offshoot.
          Cath.

Comment

Even professional researchers tend to only order divorce records (post 1937) when absolutely, or legally, necessary such as for probate work.

In most cases looking at a later marriage certificate will confirm them as divorced (probably).
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
            X