No announcement yet.

GRO Digital Images - now available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, you should get a refund , but then you will be advised to order a pdf or paper certificate if you still want the entry.

In most of the ones I got which had problems the missing info was so minor I didn't bother ordering another copy, so in practice got the entry for free.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

i've reported three of 36 instant images. they all had the top of the entries cut off, with the date missing. of the others, quite a few had the top or bottom of some words cut off. i haven't reported them as you can still read those words.

the reporting for is quite clunky and i've given them feedback that there needs to be a button next to each entry in your order, that says "report issue" or something like it. just to make it all easier.

Comment

That’s quite a big difference in procedure from the digital image service provided via ScotlandsPeople.
        If a certificate is defective in any way, eg. illegible due to a poor old image process, it is very easy to report it and the page will be rescanned and uploaded to the system. The customer gets an email with the new version usually in less than a week. The same procedure happens if the system has the wrong image page attached to a reference number. That one is not nearly so common as the first example but I have had both happen to me online and in Edinburgh SP centre.
        There are no issues with missing registration district information and parts chopped off at the edges eg. the certificate number or notes in the margins because the whole register page is scanned and is inserted in a pro forma which at the top has the year, person’s name and the NRS certificate reference number in bold type.

I have never understood why GRO can supply a paper copy of a certificate with all the registration information in a pro forma and the digital image of the actual entry inserted in the middle, yet if they send you a pdf or now the new digital image why they don’t provide the pro forma.

We also found a problem yesterday when searching for my cousin’s husband’s gt grandfather’s 1911 birth certificate. Ancestry and FMP both have images of the entry reference number in the index pages but the entry is not there on the GRO certificate ordering website.
        The ‘order a certificate or PDF’ section allows you to order manually entering the info of the person and choose that you know the GRO index reference. The ‘order a digital image’ section does not have this facility so if the entry is missing from the GRO online index then you cannot order a digital image.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          That’s quite a big difference in procedure from the digital image service provided via ScotlandsPeople.
          I have never understood why GRO can supply a paper copy of a certificate with all the registration information in a pro forma and the digital image of the actual entry inserted in the middle, yet if they send you a pdf or now the new digital image why they don’t provide the pro forma.
          I believe it is because the images were scanned as whole pages, containing multiple entries. The digital system then automatically crops it to where the image of the entry you have ordered "should" be. The production of PDFs and paper certificate has a human operator involved to correct the misalignment of the scans, and add the necessary extra info ......the digital system doesn't, which is why it is much cheaper.

We also found a problem yesterday when searching for my cousin’s husband’s gt grandfather’s 1911 birth certificate. Ancestry and FMP both have images of the entry reference number in the index pages but the entry is not there on the GRO certificate ordering website.
          This could be an indexing error or missing scan, but in most cases it is because the entry has been indexed under a different name as that used in the "old" indexes. The rules used for the on-line index are different, especially for those entries involving unmarried parents, and it is quite normal to see different results between the new and old systems when searching. What name are you searching for ?​
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk

Comment

is there a law preventing england doing as scotlandspeople does, getting the whole page rather than individual entries?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              is there a law preventing england doing as scotlandspeople does, getting the whole page rather than individual entries?
              I'm not sure of the details, but I believe it would take a change in legislation to allow it, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                This could be an indexing error or missing scan, but in most cases it is because the entry has been indexed under a different name as that used in the "old" indexes. The rules used for the on-line index are different, especially for those entries involving unmarried parents, and it is quite normal to see different results between the new and old systems when searching. What name are you searching for ?​
                DUNSTON, Thomas Henry
                Thomas H Dunston
                Jul-Aug-Sep
                Cockermouth, Cumberland, England
                Gibson
                10b

We tried all sorts and kept removing fields till we got down to nothing but year, surname, 1st forename. We tried using the two surname variant options as well as the exact but no joy.

Comment

I'm not sure of the details, but I believe it would take a change in legislation to allow it, yes.
                  If all the birth certificates available are “historic” ones of more than 100 years ago and the death ones (when completed)are of more than 50 years ago and so complies with the Data Protection Act 2018 which applies UK wide, there should not be a problem showing the whole page containing the required entry.

Comment

DUNSTON, Thomas Henry
                    Thomas H Dunston
                    Jul-Aug-Sep
                    Cockermouth, Cumberland, England
                    Gibson
                    10b

We tried all sorts and kept removing fields till we got down to nothing but year, surname, 1st forename. We tried using the two surname variant options as well as the exact but no joy.
                    It does seem to be a missing entry .... the other entries with the same vol/page reference are also not to be found in the GRO on-line index, which suggests the page has been missed ( or there is a problem with the quality of the scan).

You would have to use the normal ordering system, with the details you have, and select the paper or PDF option.
                    Last edited by AntonyM; 19-07-23, 10:01.

Comment

If all the birth certificates available are “historic” ones of more than 100 years ago and the death ones (when completed)are of more than 50 years ago and so complies with the Data Protection Act 2018 which applies UK wide, there should not be a problem showing the whole page containing the required entry.
                      It isn't an issue with data protection (or GDPR), which doesn't apply to BMD records anyway as they are available to anyone under statutory legislation, whether they are one week old or 150 years old, and whether the subject is living or not.

As I understand it a change to the legislation relating to registration would be required. No reason that couldn't happen, but I'm not aware of any suggestion that it is being considered at the moment, who knows what the future will bring.
                      Last edited by AntonyM; 19-07-23, 10:00.

Comment

It is GDPR that applies now to SP’s online service.
                        You can see right up to date for BMD certificates in Edinburgh SP and its satellite centres but they can’t be printed off, only transcribed and cameras are forbidden in the search rooms.
                        As regards general public access to BMDs, The Registrars General for Scotland have always considered it a privilege not a right but with the coming of pcs for searching right up to date, if they consider the service is being abused then they are free to withdraw it at any time. Modern records were excluded online at home. Since GDPR though, access to various things such as resumes of divorce decrees are no longer viewable even on SP terminals. If the court records still exist and are held at NRS, they can be viewed in the Historical Searchroom upstairs (Edinburgh). Many court records have sadly never made it due to terrible weeding procedures in the 70s to 90s. Way back in the early 2000s, I read the paper files of OH’s father’s 2nd divorce (court in Edinburgh) and sad to say, it contained an uncanny replica of his behaviour to OH’s mother in the first divorce in 1963. The records for that one are no longer extant (court in Linlithgow).
                        Beyond that, my legal knowledge stops
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 19-07-23, 12:22.

Comment

The digital download system has now been extended to cover death registrations up to 1957 ....

Comment

The digital download system has now been extended to cover death registrations up to 1957 ....
                            This was dangerous lol feels like christmas!

Comment

I'm probably being really dim here, but I've got a few of these images now which I've downloaded but I haven't found a way to print them off. Does anyone know how to?

Comment

Can you right click and select 'print'?
                                Alternatively save the image in another format eg jpeg. Or maybe paste it into a Word document?
                                Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne , but whatever i try it will only print about a quarter of the middle of the page.

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                                    Thanks Anne , but whatever i try it will only print about a quarter of the middle of the page.
                                    Sounds to me like you'll need to crop it... when you are looking at it is it really big? ie fills up the screen? or can you make it smaller like a letterbox? if it's opened up as a PDF you should be able to save that to your computer and then by using Adobe Acrobat free PDF reader you should be able to print from that??
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

JLB when you open it on your computer what are you looking at it with? ie what program? is it a PDF reader?
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

i had seen info on this but up until today not found any records that gave me that option. I paid for the record and got it instantly, but sadly it didnt have the info i had hoped (a mystery letter as middle name that is on a professional photo only of ancestor) but i think this will be useful.
                                        **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Is the site down or is it just me?
                                          People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                                          Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
                                          X