Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to father and son Richard Morgan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to father and son Richard Morgan?

Another query which has been on my back burner for many years

On 15 Nov 1793 Richard Morgan was married by lic to Mary Boulter at Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk. Mary was the daughter of Captain John Boulter and his wife Mary, nee Bane. Richard's bondsman was James Boulter, brother of the bride - both men were mariners and James Boulter was a witness at the marriage.
    The couple had a daughter, Mary Bowen Morgan, bp October 1796, but sadly buried in December 1796. Another daughter Mary Morgan was bp at Yarmouth in June 1798, and a son Richard Morgan in May 1800. (All events at Gt Yarmouth.)

The next known event was the death of Mary's father in December1815: his will was drawn up on 16 February 1814 and proved at Yarmouth on 4 January 1816. The bequests included:
    To wife MARY messuage in Gt Yarmouth in the Quay Austin Row for life. After her death, messuage to be divided into four: to son JAMES, to dau RACHEL, to dau ELIZABETH, to grandchildren RICHARD & MARY MORGAN.
    household goods to be sold and divided amongst my four children – MARY, JAMES, RACHEL & ELIZABETH.

John's widow Mary was buried at Yarmouth in 1824. Their son James was a mariner and died at Yarmouth in 1849. Daughter Elizabeth married in 1822, but was widowed the following year, daughter Rachel never married. In 1841 Elizabeth and Rachel lived together in Great Yarmouth - Elizabeth died in 1848 and Rachel in 1849. Their sister Mary Morgan was recorded in 1841 living alone in Gt Yarmouth, where she was buried in 1845.

I can find nothing further about this family - so what became of Mary's husband Richard Morgan, and of the two Morgan children post February 1814?

A gravestone was erected for Elizabeth (Mrs Springhall) and her spinster sister - neither had children. Their brother James had one surviving child, daughter Sarah, who married John Tyrell Alcock in 1833 and was widowed the following year whilst John was travelling to Spain. So, who sorted out the gravestone? Were the two Morgan children still around?
    I've lots of questions, but have never found any answers
    ​​​
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 05-06-23, 15:50.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I had a quick look in papers and wasn't fining anything.

I was getting in a muddle with all the Mary's and was on wrong one last night, I skipped a sentence I think!

Mary Boulter (Morgan) on own in 1841 d 1849
    parents:
    father John Boulter d 1815 (with a will) and mother Mary Bane d 1824

Siblings:
    James d1849
    Rachel d1848
    Elizabeth d1849

marries in 1793 to

***Richard Morgan b 1770s

They had 3 children (first Mary dies) life after 1814 unknown
    ***Mary Morgan b1798
    ***Richard Morgan b1800

the above marked with asterisks
    ​you have no 'end' to them and would like any more info?

Mary Boulter (Morgan) forgoes her share in house to her children if I am reading right?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Spot on, Carolyn!

From the will, written in 1814, I have assumed that the two Morgan children, Mary and Richard, were still living at that point. They were the only grandchildren of Captain John Boulter (mariner) and his wife Mary Boulter, nee Bane.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

OOps, deleted. Looking for Richard Boulter b 1800 Gt Yarmouth instead of Morgan
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-06-23, 11:57.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
          OOps, deleted. Looking for Richard Boulter b 1800 Gt Yarmouth instead of Morgan
          hee hee just like me and Mary's!
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
            Spot on, Carolyn!

From the will, written in 1814, I have assumed that the two Morgan children, Mary and Richard, were still living at that point. They were the only grandchildren of Captain John Boulter (mariner) and his wife Mary Boulter, nee Bane.
            and Mary Morgan just gets some furniture. Was there much that he left in will? would papers be interested, maybe property was sold at auction. Will have a wander around for "Austin Row" later.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Still having no luck with this family

Found a possible marriage for daughter Mary Morgan: Gt Yarmouth 15 Jan 1839; spinster, weaver, full age, of Blue Bell Row, d/o Richard Morgan waterman. Both bride, groom & witnesses marked. Groom was Robert Balls, bachelor, of full age, of Fullers "Hill" ?? a musician.
              I can't pick up on this couple in subsequent census returns to check if they COULD be mine.

I would have expected MY Mary Morgan to have been able to sign her name - both her parents had signed when they married.
              Richard Morgan was a sea captain and I have found shipping references (early 1800's) for him conveying goods to other European ports. However, he may have given up going to sea and, in later life, worked on smaller coastal or river craft. They remain a mystery
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

do you have any addresses on the will? where were Mary's sisters in 1841? sometimes addresses turn up something useful in papers.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks Carolyn.
                  Will was before 1857, so is deposited at the Norfolk record office. Only address given is that of Mary's father - Ostend (Austin) Row, the Quay, Great Yarmouth. Mary's mother (Mary Boulter nee Bane) was buried at Great Yarmouth in 1824, aged 80 years and of Yarmouth.
                  In 1841 Mary Morgan's brother, wife & daughter (James, Ann & Sarah Boulter) lived in Row 95 Gt Yarmouth; her sisters Rachel Boulter & Elizabeth Springhall (wid) lived together in St Peters Terrace Gt Yarmouth. (Both were of independent means.) A Mary Morgan's address was recorded as "Beach", she was 70 years old and of independent means.

I THINK Mary Morgan died Gt Yarm in 1845, Elizabeth (Mrs Springhall) in 1848, and James & sister Rachel Boulter in 1849.

There were other Morgans around in the Gt Yarmouth area at the time, so it is always possible that the 1841 census return & 1845 burial were for a different Mary Morgan, but in that case, where did Mary Morgan (nee Boulter) her husband Richard Morgan and their children Richard and Mary Morgan go??
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Still having no luck with this family

Found a possible marriage for daughter Mary Morgan: Gt Yarmouth 15 Jan 1839; spinster, weaver, full age, of Blue Bell Row, d/o Richard Morgan waterman. Both bride, groom & witnesses marked. Groom was Robert Balls, bachelor, of full age, of Fullers "Hill" ?? a musician.
                    I can't pick up on this couple in subsequent census returns to check if they COULD be mine.
                    I think that in 1841 they are at Row 120, St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth:

Robert Balls 25 Musician born in county
                    Mary Ann 25
                    + what appear to be lodgers:
                    Jane Miller 20
                    Georgina Corbitt 15
                    Ann Annis 15

in 1851 they are at Row 61, St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth:
                    Robert Balls 37 Violin Player b Yarmouth - Blind
                    Mary Ann Balls 38 wife b Yarmouth

Possibly connected is the marriage on 25 Dec 1838 of James Balls, Shoemaker of Fuller's Hill (father John, a Carpenter) to Susan Seeley. Both signed X, and I note that a Susan Balls was a witness to the marriage of Robert Balls & Mary Ann Morgan. Subsequent census puts James's Yob at c1807 and Susan at c1821.

Comment

Thanks Carolyn.
                      Will was before 1857, so is deposited at the Norfolk record office. Only address given is that of Mary's father - Ostend (Austin) Row, the Quay, Great Yarmouth.
                      I'm not familiar with the area at all, but there are some references to Row 60 being Ostend Row, if that helps or hinders anything!

https://nrocatalogue.norfolk.gov.uk/...-60-ostend-row

ADDED: Quick history lesson for me, and anyone else interested!

Last edited by teasie; 03-07-23, 15:18.

Comment

We visited the rows in Yarmouth several years ago as my 3 x gt grandmother lived in Row 37 which was bombed during WW2; her sister lived in Row 109 (Red Lion Row or Alley.)
                        Many of the rows are being revamped and an article appeared in the Mercury on 29th December 2021 about it. Red Lion Row is one of those being revamped.

https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co....-women-revamp/

Row 120 Duncan's Head Row and Row 61 - Popinjay Row are included too.

There is a painting of your Row 120 and a photo of my Row 109 here:

By Wayne Kett, Great Yarmouth Museums Curator The Great Yarmouth Rows hold a great fascination for many people, I know this first hand because part of my job involves answering public enquiries. Em…
                        Last edited by Katarzyna; 03-07-23, 17:02. Reason: Additional info
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you, ladies - that is BRILLIANT! Don't know why I couldn't spot them in census

Apparently Ostend Row was also called Austin Row because part of it was on the site of the former Augustinian Priory.

I know a little about the Rows because at one time Row 3 was called Boulters Row. One family of the parallel Quaker Boulter line were bakers and their shop was where Row 3 met Market Place. Apparently Boulter's Rusks were famous!

Seems pretty likely that the Balls/Morgan marriage is mine. Just the puzzle of the two Richards to sort out now! Perhaps one or both were lost at sea, or in foreign parts - consequently no Yarmouth burial
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

NB there is a Cubitt Springall mentioned in newspapers:

Aged 45, Captain Cubitt Springall, formerly of the Petty, of Yarmouth, in 1823, not sure if you have seen. Name like that had to do a search!

he had a fast ship for cargo
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

thank you ladies, some great links there. I kind of class Norfolk as our nearest coast, but only been to Yarmouth briefly, will have to visit.

they were certainly narrow.

I note the sisters are also on beach in 1841
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-07-23, 18:21.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                              X