Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help finding ancestor in the 1930 census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding ancestor in the 1930 census?

I'm trying to find a particular person in the 1930 census and I keep coming up blank. I was hoping someone may could help me find her?

Her name was Mabel Greenwood Hall (b.1885 in Colorado or Kansas). She was living in Winn Parish, Louisiana when her husband suddenly passed away in 1928, leaving her with young children to raise (10 total including her adult children). By 1940, she had moved to Caldwell Parish (lived there since 1935 according to the census). But I've lost track of her for about a 10-year gap. I've only been able to find three of her adult children (one in Caldwell Parish, one in Franklin Parish and one in Bossier Parish) in the 1930 census and she isn't living with or near them. I've also looked for her name spelled multiple different ways.

I'm not really sure how else to look for her or if I've simply overlooked her somehow. Any help finding her would be appreciated!

Not any luck so far, but some thoughts
    * some people did manage to miss enumeration
    * she might have remarried, at least for a short time. A widow with that many children may have been in pretty desperate circumstances, and probably didn't have a "safety net" to fall back on. And sometimes hasty marriages didn't last, and the woman went back to her previous surname.
    * she may have been a part of another household, and the enumerator missed that her surname was different than the rest of the household (e.g., she was living with a daughter)

Also, there are a bunch of records associated on ancestry with her 1940 census record. Did you look at the obit? Unfortunately, you need to pay Newspapers.com for it. (and I don't have a sub).

sort of FYI
    for other researchers, Mabel in the 1920
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

not easy finding so many peeps with common first and last names!

daughter Rosa in the 1930
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Just a quick note - I looked for Mabel in the 1930 on FS as well - no luck.

Comment

And trying to examine Caldwell LA more closely in the 1930, no joy. In the 1940 and 1950, she's living with son John. Trying to find son John in the 1930 brings no joy, either.
      Additionally, there are several family trees with her on Ancestry who can't find her in the 1930, except for the tree that branched out and married her off to Joseph Ball...really it doesn't work out.

Not sure if there are directories for that part of LA that might list her?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
        Not any luck so far, but some thoughts
        * some people did manage to miss enumeration
        * she might have remarried, at least for a short time. A widow with that many children may have been in pretty desperate circumstances, and probably didn't have a "safety net" to fall back on. And sometimes hasty marriages didn't last, and the woman went back to her previous surname.
        * she may have been a part of another household, and the enumerator missed that her surname was different than the rest of the household (e.g., she was living with a daughter)

Also, there are a bunch of records associated on ancestry with her 1940 census record. Did you look at the obit? Unfortunately, you need to pay Newspapers.com for it. (and I don't have a sub).

sort of FYI
        for other researchers, Mabel in the 1920
        https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui...108905197:6061

not easy finding so many peeps with common first and last names!

daughter Rosa in the 1930
        https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui.../34347379:6224

Just a quick note - I looked for Mabel in the 1930 on FS as well - no luck.
        Ah, thanks so much for looking! I was afraid of that... I'm not honestly sure where she went. It makes sense, though, that she likely would have been enumerated by a different surname. I may just see if I can search for any "Mabels" in the area and see what comes back. It would help if I knew exactly when she moved from Winn to Caldwell LOL But she did at least by 1935. I have a feeling she was likely still in Winn in 1930, however. Well, thank you for searching! I'll have to keep on looking as well to see if she comes up.

Oh really? I hadn't seen that tree before myself...and I've never heard the name Joseph Ball mentioned in the family before. Hm, food for thought!

Comment

Originally posted by StarQueen View Post

Oh really? I hadn't seen that tree before myself...and I've never heard the name Joseph Ball mentioned in the family before. Hm, food for thought!
          Really, it didn't work out...I think that Mabel went to another state and died there. Children were wrong, etc.

I did try looking for all Mabels in Caldwell 1930, as well as trying to locate John, but it's always worth another look.

Finding telephone books/directories for the era might give you an idea - you could try local library or genealogy/historical groups to see if they have any or know of the resource. It was the 30's - Great Depression, so she may have been double bunking/couch surfing/moving frequently. That could be an explanation if she wasn't enumerated.
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 04-06-23, 15:03.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

Really, it didn't work out...I think that Mabel went to another state and died there. Children were wrong, etc.

I did try looking for all Mabels in Caldwell 1930, as well as trying to locate John, but it's always worth another look.

Finding telephone books/directories for the era might give you an idea - you could try local library or genealogy/historical groups to see if they have any or know of the resource. It was the 30's - Great Depression, so she may have been double bunking/couch surfing/moving frequently. That could be an explanation if she wasn't enumerated.
            That makes sense. I've seen some other trees for the family which have the children being buried in states they never were. So some of the info is wrong, for sure.

I attempted looking for Mabels statewide but still came up with nothing. Maybe she moved to a different state for a while and then returned later on...

That's a great idea, I'll have to try that and see if I can find anything that way! That's true. And maybe she stayed with each of her adult children for a time before moving on to another. Maybe she was between moves when the census happened or just out at the time.

Comment

Working...
            X