Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• local newspapers

hi everyone

I have been trying hard to find archived local newspapers for the edmonton, tottenham and enfield areas covering the 1960/70
    I have tried british newspapers but they only cover until 1949.
    enfield local studies only have photos, tottenham archives dont seem to hold any publications, even though they say local newspapers, their reply was just, not held here.
    london/archives library has not replied.
    the national archives sends me back to british newspapers.

i am totally going round in circles.

any ideas or suggestions will be gratetully received.

many thanks
    Lorraine

My thoughts would be potentially the LMA would have them. Failing that, perhaps the newspapers themselves still have them, if still in existence.

Comment

FMP has an extensive newspaper collection- pretty much the only thing they update these days. Have you tried there?

Comment

Have you tried to local libraries? I have found that, in general, the local library holds more recent newspapers, often on microfilm. The archives do not usually have the more recent ones. Unfortunately it would probably mean a personal visit to the library and hours of trawling through microfilms because, unlike archives, libraries have no research services.
        Anne

Comment

I think I would research all of the titles that were in existence then and make a list, and do a more specific search.

Newspapers are coming on line all the time. And also some articles make it to neighbouring districts and even national, were you looking for a specific report? Or looking for some photos? You could try looking for a local FB group that is set up for people to submit photos.
          ​​​​​​
          newspapers.com are now including UK papers worth checking recently added every now and again.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

If you have time to spare, you could try searches for a specific name+place+decade. I've been amazed by what pops up as a result of blanket searches, often when people have either done something of merit, or been up to no good!
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              My thoughts would be potentially the LMA would have them. Failing that, perhaps the newspapers themselves still have them, if still in existence.
              i have been waiting 4 weeks now for a reply of any sort from LMA.
              the newspaper i need stopped publication in 1975, so no luck there

thank you for your help
              Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                FMP has an extensive newspaper collection- pretty much the only thing they update these days. Have you tried there?
                it says on FMP that it’s a partnership with british newspapers and they also only cover up to 1949 for the paper i need

thank you though
                Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                  Have you tried to local libraries? I have found that, in general, the local library holds more recent newspapers, often on microfilm. The archives do not usually have the more recent ones. Unfortunately it would probably mean a personal visit to the library and hours of trawling through microfilms because, unlike archives, libraries have no research services.
                  Anne
                  hi, yes i have tried, my library is also the local studies and archive but they only keep photos and not the articles, i tried the towns either side but to no avail

thank you
                  Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    I think I would research all of the titles that were in existence then and make a list, and do a more specific search.

Newspapers are coming on line all the time. And also some articles make it to neighbouring districts and even national, were you looking for a specific report? Or looking for some photos? You could try looking for a local FB group that is set up for people to submit photos.
                    ​​​​​​
                    newspapers.com are now including UK papers worth checking recently added every now and again.
                    hi
                    yes it is a specific newspaper, i can clearly recall my mum having the vapours after reading the article out but i never knew or understood what was happening, but 60+ years on, my brother announced that he had been bullied badly at primary school because of the article but cannot remember why and what the big secret was.

i will have a look at that site now, thank you

Lorraine

Comment

There are new newspapers every week on BNA, of you subscribe to FMP news you will get a weekly email with the new papers released.

Register for Findmypast, and then choose email preferences. No need to pay for registering. BNA might have newsletter too, not sure. They are the same papers on both site.

Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

If it is a specific paper, is it one still being published? If so they are very likely to have records of their publications. If it is not being published, maybe it was taken over by another publication, which may still hold the records.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                          If it is a specific paper, is it one still being published? If so they are very likely to have records of their publications. If it is not being published, maybe it was taken over by another publication, which may still hold the records.

Anne
                          thanks anne

Unfortunately no, it stopped publication around 1975, another paper did come out a few years later but didnt really take off and was last seen in early 80's

I am going to try the LMA again today, if they can confirm anything at all, i will have to make the journey and swallow the ULEZ and congestion charges (£27.50)

Lorraine

Comment

The newspaper reading room at the British Library should have it - what newspaper ?

( I don't think LMA have a newspaper collection ....)
                            Last edited by AntonyM; 22-05-23, 10:57.
                            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                              The newspaper reading room at the British Library should have it - what newspaper ?

( I don't think LMA have a newspaper collection ....)
                              hi

its the tottenham and edmonton weekly herald.

i was going purely on LMA website, it says outer london borough local newspapers, i have sent another info request online, see if i get a reply to this one.

thanks for the tip. i shall have a check on british library now

thank you

Lorraine

Comment

The BL has the Tottenham and Edmonton Weekly Herald from 1869 to 1970, then the Tottenham Weekly Herald from 1971 to 1976 ( I suspect there may have been a name change of the paper)...
                                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
                                X