Is Pashley actually Lashley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Pashley actually Lashley?

Hi, so I know I've posted lately about Sarah & Mary Pashley and if I thought they were sisters and trying to find their birth etcs going by the records I do have for them.

Sarah- possible 1794 death going by her 1823 death in Bishop Middleham Durham as Sarah Phillips

Mary - possible 1796 going by her death as Mary Williams in 1850 and a 1841 Census, both Sunderland.

This afternoon I've come across the baptism of a Sarah Lashley in Newcastle, 1785 to George Lashley.

There's a Mary Lashley in the same location, 1784 but father is John though and mother is Elizabeth.

There's also another Mary in 1768 to a William. Again same location.

Could Sarah and Mary Lashley be sisters or cousins?

I've found an unknown female Lashley in 1792 to a John & Elizabeth on Family Search and Durham Records Online is only bringing up the one Sarah Lashley.

I've found the marriage of George in 1773 to a Catherine Forrest and the marriage in 1783 of John Lashley to Elizabeth Arkley. George may have died in 1799 with an incorrect birth year transcribed. I cannot find any marriages of Sarah Lashley and may or may not have found one for Mary depending on which of the above Mary's married a Peacock
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Perhaps Sarah didn't originate from Durham/Northumberland?

Searching FmP for Sarah Pas*l* born 1795 +/- 5 years brings up a number of possibilities, including a Sarah Pashley baptised 14 Sep 1794 at Fishlake, Yorkshire d/o Robert Pashley & Sarah Atkinson, and another at Sheffield 6 Jun 1794 d/o Richard & Susannah. There are also a few others.

I think you need to try & rule those ones out first before looking at significantly different surnames such as Lashley.

Comment

I did rule those ones out. Most of the Yorkshire ones led to marriages & deaths apart from one possibility but with looking for the Durham area and transcription errors popping up on most of the records.

The library suggested that either it was a similar name or the records weren't online or that it could be a previous married name for one of them. I did find that Mary's daughter, another Mary emigrated to America and added Pashley to one of the children as a middle name.

I really think this could be a possibility as there's no marriage or death for a Sarah Lashley in the area.

Comment

I just don't see Pashley & Lashley becoming 'confused' for each other, and also her baptism is about 10 earlier than the YoB you initially gave based on her age at death.

The BT of the baptism is online and George is noted as a mariner, so they may not have been resident in Newcastle.

Comment

How weird is this? I have just found a possible marriage of my Rebecca Brown to Joseph Pashley! [these are in Derbyshire though!]
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            How weird is this? I have just found a possible marriage of my Rebecca Brown to Joseph Pashley! [these are in Derbyshire though!]
            I'm going crazy with it and I've followed as much as I can with a possible connection through Mary's husband and have a meeting with the library on Monday to look at it all together. I've gone through all the Yorkshire ones and found the marriages and deaths for them and it hasn't left any to go on in that route. The Williams name is popular in Sunderland and Durham as is Lashley but not Pashley.

Following through on the Lashley side I've got Sarah Lashleys mother in Sunderland at the time that Pashley turns up there. Hoping it is on the right track.

Comment

Officially solved it 😃 I thought I had the other day by thinking Sarah and Mary were cousins due to the father of Mary in the 1784 baptism having the name John and the potential father of Sarah being George and finding 2 brothers etc.

I was wrong. The 1785 Baptism of Sarah Lashley in Newcastle with a father named George, Mariner is indeed correct. In a newspaper article 2 nights ago I found an Elizabeth Lashley died in 1862, the daughter of the late George Lashley, seaman. South Shields

In 1785, South Shields on FamilySearch a George Lechley as it's transcribed married a Mary Lewman. Both are 26 and he's a Seaman.
              In 1786 a Mary Lesley, South Shields to a George & Mary.
              In 1789 an Elizabeth Lasley, South Shields to a George & Mary. The year of birth matched the age in the newspaper article.
              In 1790 an Ann, South Shields to George & Lewman maybe? Transcribed as Murron online.

No further trace of Mary & Sarah Lashley/Lesley/Lasley/Lechley
              Sarah had: William, John, Mary & Henry
              Mary had: Thomas, Elizabeth, William, Ann, Edward & Mary
              Ann had: Mary, John & James

Comment

Working...
              X