Mary Pashley/Parshley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Pashley/Parshley

Hi, I wondered if I could basically use a fresh brain to see if I may be on the right track? I posted a few weeks back about Sarah Pashley and narrowing her birth down because she's a brick wall that I've had for years. I had no luck narrowing a birth but upon trying to find other Pashley's in the Durham area I found a Mary Pashley/Parshley who married in the same church 6 years before her. Is it a possibility Mary could be Sarah's sister? My main connection for thinking so is the Surname, unknown birth for Sarah, and the fact that Sarah's husband William was also in the Paper Mill trade.

All information found has come from Durham Records Online because I cannot seem to find it on Ancestry.

Church: St. Margaret
    Denomination: Anglican
    7 Oct 1811 Edward Williams married Mary Pashley, both of this chapelry, by banns
    Witnesses: Francis Grayham; Elizabeth Wheatley​

Church: St. Margaret
    28 Jul 1811 Thomas Williams, born 6 Jul 1811, illegitimate son of Edward Williams (papermaker, native of Glanmire, County Cork) by Mary Parshley (native of Glanmire, County Cork)

Bishopwearmouth, Ballast Hills (HO107/310/6, Folio 22) Edward Williams, 50, journeyman papermaker, born in England outside County Durham
    Mary Williams, 45, born in England outside County Durham
    Edward Williams, 13, born in County Durham
    Mary Williams, 6, born in England outside County Durham ​
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

The baptism seems to indicate both parents were irish....any proof sarah was irish?

Comment

All I've been able to find for Sarah is her marriage to William Phillips in 1817, a baptism of the first son in 1818, a daughter in 1820 and a son in 1823 as well as her own death the same year which gives a birth year of 1793. It seems that Bishop Middleham/ Durham doesn't seem to have many baptism records online before 1818 because I cannot find William or Sarah's. I only know of William's birth due to a Papermaking book that I found in the local library.

Comment

I can't remember whether you'd ruled out any connection to the William Pashley baptised Sunderland 29 Dec 1814, s/o Sarah Pashley:

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

I came across that one earlier and after seeing Thomas's illegitimate record I did have the thought that it could be Sarah. it seems that Mary & Edward did move towards Sunderland way in one Census and if the information I've found for Thomas is any indication he himself stayed in Sunderland with a different birth year on all of his records.

William Phillips remarried in 1825 and by 1841 census all of the children he had with Sarah were married or working elsewhere so perhaps it's a possibility.

20 Jan 1815 William Pashley, born 29 Dec 1814, illegitimate son of Sarah Pashley
          Last edited by lennon2011; 13-05-23, 02:02. Reason: Added full baptism details

Comment

I think I may have found William's marriage on Durham Records but I cannot see anything further afterwards on there. There's an entry for Tynemouth 1838 as William Pashby (Pashley?) and so I went to FreeREG to see if it was there. It gives a father named William Pashby so I dismissed it but then I had the thought, if they ask who the father is but don't provide a Surname would that count?

​​​​​​I've gone over the timeline for William Phillips and he's baptising his 9th child, another William in Neville's Cross, Durham in 1838.

Sarah & William had 3 legitimate children: John, Mary and Henry. John is married in Oct 1838 in Great Stainton, Mary may possibly be married May 1838 in Tynemouth with a John Phillips as witness. It may be her I don't know because I've not found anything further than a birth. It's a high possiblity if I'm trying to connect them in the same place at same time. Henry isn't in any records between his birth in 1823 to his marriage in 1858.

I know William Pashley wasn't in the 1841 Census with Mary & Edward so either he was married by then or not brought up by them. But then I also cannot see the son they had either, William Williams that I found last night in FreeREG.

Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

Comment

The image of the marriage gives William's occupation as Mariner, and also names his father as William Pashby, Mariner. This may or may not be true!

Still looking, but there's this child born in 1842:
              PASHBY, ESTHER mmn CLARK GRO Reference: 1842 M Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE UNION Volume 25 Page 337

In 1851 Ann & Esther are in Hull - HO107/2363/852/5
              Ann Pashby 36 wife of William Pashby (Mariner). Born Pelton, Durham (transcribed on FmP as Repton, Durham)
              Esther Pashby 9 daughter b Newcastle

Comment

The 1838 marriage of William Pashby to Ann Clark was at Wallsend and names Ann's father as Henry, a Pitman.

This may therefore be Esther in 1861, in Wrekenton, Gateshead - RG9/3806/32/29
                Henry Clarke 72 widower Inn keeper b Lamesely, Durham
                Margaret Clarke 30 daur unmarried, b Heworth, Durham
                Esther Pasby 15 servant b Heworth, Durham

An Esther Pashby marries John Thompson Scott in Gateshead later the same year, and the 1871 census (Urpeth Colliery, Chester Le Street) gives Esther's birth as c1841, Ouseburn, Northumberland.

Not doing very well looking for Ann & William - apart from 1851 my next sighting of Ann in the census so far is in 1881 at 2 Albert Mews, Middlesbrough - RG11/4851/4/1
                John Barker 41 married Blast Furnace Engine Man b Chester le Street, Durham
                John L Barker 14 son Pupil Teacher b Coxhoe
                George Wm Barker 12 son b Cornforth
                Ann Pashby 65 widow Mother-in-Law born Pelton, Durham

A Mary Ann Pashby married John Barker in 1865, and she does appear to be William & Ann's daughter
                PASHBY, MARY ANN mmn CLARK GRO Reference: 1839 S Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE UNION Volume 25 Page 317

In 1841 she's at Diamond Row, Longbenton with Henry Clark & family (transcribed on FMP as Pashaby), and still with them in 1851 in Wrekenton, Gateshead, transcribed as MA Pashly, 12 g/daur b Wallsend.

None of this helps connect William to your family though, and his surname is clearly PASHBY, rather than Pashley.​

Comment

Oh dear, I think it's all just fallen apart :(

The merchant seaman records have a few references to William Pashby/Pashly/Pashley etc, including one from1835 - William Pashly born Newcastle c1813

But then there are several references to a William Pashby/Pashley born Hull c1814-1816. Which leads to a baptism at Holy Trinity, Hull:
                  16 Nov 1818 (born 4 May 1816) William s/o Willam & Mary Pashby, Hull, Mariner.

Last edited by teasie; 14-05-23, 14:01.

Comment

I've had a look into Ann, in 1881 she's in Middlesbrough as a Widow and in 1890 there's a death registered in Stockton-on-Tees. Would she have known her own (half?) bother in law was in Stockton-on-Tees by then? All the census records have Pelton but mix the ages between 1815 and 1821 I've noticed. There may be a death in 1858 Hull for William Pashby with no birth year though. Either it is Pashley or it isn't because I haven't spotted a birth for a William Pashby in the same area. I've noticed on Durham Records the usual name confusing for the only 2 matching records on there.

Marriages Tynemouth 1838 William Pashby [Pashley(?)] this parish 1861 Census Chester-le-Street 1861 Ann Pashley [Pashby/Paisley(?)] abt 1821 Pelton

Comment

I had another search tonight for similar names to Pashley with the forename being Sarah and I got a hit with a Sarah Peasley in 1791 Somerset. She even had an older sister named Mary and brother's named Thomas & John but upon following a paper trail it's gone cold as Mary may have died in 1811. I'm not sure as there's no age though and there may be a marriage for a Sarah because Peasley seems to have a lot of people recorded in the area at the time.

The previously looked at Sheffield link to Richard & Susannah has also gone cold as both Mary and Sarah died within 2 weeks of one another in 1794.

I won't give up, I've asked my Granda's cousin to see if she has anything and I'm also going to pop to the library on Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                      X