The missing link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The missing link

For months now I've been trying to find the parents for this person and keep coming up with different names, so I'm hoping that you pro researchers out there can finally put my frustrations to rest and share we me your thoughts. The gentleman in question is

William Sharplin
    (b) about 1818 St Leonards, Shoreditch, London
    Occupation was a Ropemaker
    He married Charlotte Terry on the 7th June 1841 at St Dunstans in Stepney, London.
    They had 10 children before his death on the 26th Nov 1854 in Bermondsey, London.
    Thanks for any help

You asked a question yesterday about some Sharplin children. Did you see the clues I gave you? Maybe looking thoroughly at more recent generations might help with the earlier ones?
    Anne

Comment

Yes i did Anne, thank you for that. Soon as ive a bit of time im on it.

Comment

The only baptism at Shoreditch is on 18 Aug 1816 to Thomas and Ann Sharplin. no image

There is another for William at Mile End Old Town on 07 July 1816 to another Thomas and Ann at Sion Chapel, Union Street (Countess of Huntingdon Connection) ​07 July 1816 - (born 8th June ) England & Wales. Non-Conformist Births And Baptisms.

I cannot get on Ancestry at the moment so not sure about any other baps.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

They married 1841? What does the marriage cert say for william's father?

Comment

Marriage certificate states Williams father was John White
            occupation - Caulker
            i cant find anything on John or his wife
            Last edited by snowywhite; 12-05-23, 01:10.

Comment

Bear in mind that William may not have known who his father was. He might have been illegitimate or his father might have died when he was too young to remember.

Ah! I see that his father is surname White, not Sharplin, so that does possibly indicate that his parents were not married. It could be very hard to identify someone with such a common name. But at least he has a specific occupation and caulker/ropemaker go together in the boatbuilding trade.
              Anne
              Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 12-05-23, 07:09.

Comment

Fathers name is John Sharplin occupation Caulker, sorry i was so tired i put the wrong surname down appologies
                Last edited by snowywhite; 12-05-23, 08:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                  The only baptism at Shoreditch is on 18 Aug 1816 to Thomas and Ann Sharplin. no image

There is another for William at Mile End Old Town on 07 July 1816 to another Thomas and Ann at Sion Chapel, Union Street (Countess of Huntingdon Connection) ​07 July 1816 - (born 8th June ) England & Wales. Non-Conformist Births And Baptisms.

I cannot get on Ancestry at the moment so not sure about any other baps.
                  Both images are online and appear to relate to the same child:

Sion Chapel, Union Street, Mile End Old Town (Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion):
                  7 July 1816 (born 8 Jun 1816) William s/o Thomas & Ann Sharplin, St Leonard

St Leonard Shoreditch:
                  18 Aug 1816 (born 8 Jun 1816) William s/o Thomas & Ann Sharplin [of] William Street, Labourer

ADDED
                  There appears to have been another William born to this couple, and baptised at Christ Church, Spitalfields
                  30 Sep 1821 (born 2 Sep 1821) William s/o Thomas & Ann Sharplin [of] William Street, Labourer
                  Last edited by teasie; 12-05-23, 12:20.

Comment

Looking at the 1841 marriage between William & Charlotte, the witnesses are John & Elizabeth Hughesdon.

John Hughesdon married Elizabeth Mary Sharplain (sic) on 15 Sep 1833 at St Mary, Newington

John & Elizabeth can be found in the census quite easily, with Elizabeth born c1813, Rotherhithe

Baptism at St Mary, Rotherhithe:
                    21 Jan 1814 (born 29 Dec 1812?) Elizabeth Mary d/o John & Jane Sharplin, Spring Court, Shipwright.

John SHARPLIN married Jane HEDGER at St John, Horsleydown on 19 May 1805, and one of the witnesses was Elizabeth Sharplin.

I haven't found a baptism for William yet, but it seems likely that this is the correct family for him.

ADDED: Burial at St Mary, Rotherhithe
                    18 Mar 1814 John Sharplin, Caulker, Spring Court, aged 29.

Your opening post gives William's YoB as c 1818, which is 4-years after John's death, so it looks like either William is wrong about his age, or he's deliberately giving false information about his father.
                    Last edited by teasie; 12-05-23, 12:59.

Comment

John Sharplin born 26th June 1785
                      father John and mother Grace. So his birth would tie in with his death date and age at time of death

Comment

On Williams Death Register it states William Sharplin Ropemaker died 1854 aged 36 , Still searching for his baptism, but im thinking he's definitely giving wong information

Comment

Working...
                        X