devon to sussex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• devon to sussex?

i have a theory about a family, no real evidence though. thoughts please?

my ancestor is margaret pasco m.1767 to charles wills (d.1772) in chichester, st peter the great/subdeanery. she appears to have died in 1819, age 82, c.1737 in chichester subdeanery.

i believe her parents are robert and margaret pasco who had william (1744), charles (1746) and patience (1749-1751) at st bartholomew, chichester. patience was buried in st peter the great/subdeanery. i have looked in both church parish registers for a burial of the father robert and come up blank. however i believe his widow margaret pasco remarried in 1757 to thomas rives (reeves?) at st peter the great, she was of st bartholomew. there are 2 potential burials under reeves for her, with no added remarks to help pick one.

there is also an edward pasco (c.1740-1813) who married twice, to jane allison (1766 midhurst) and the jane mills (1784 chichester). and an elizabeth pasco married 1774 chichester to george thornton. they witness each other's marriages. i believe they are also children of robert and margaret.

i have not been able to find any baptisms for margaret, edward, and elizabeth. or a marriage for robert in sussex.

pasco is apparently a cornish name, and there is a marriage in neighbouring county devon of robert pasco to margaret dark in 1736 at exeter. they had margaret 1737, elizabeth 1739 and edward 1741 in exeter.

exeter to chichester these days is just over a 3 hr drive, but i suspect they would more likely have gone by sea. is it possible my family came from exeter in devon?

any idea if they were skilled and what they did?

I guess you need ti understand what Chichester was up to in those times, and Exter as well.

this is always worth looking through I think

skim read says markets owned by Earl of Cornwall! off out now
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

i havn't got any ideas about occupations. margaret's sons were a shoe maker and a corn merchant when they died in 1838 and 1846 respectively. no wills for the pasco family i can see.

Comment

I don't think it would be unreasonable for someone to move that far. I have similar examples but a bit later so their place of birth is proved by censuses. Women in particular seemed to move and this was probably to get better jobs 'in service'.
        It's annoying that you can't find any proof yet, though.
        Anne

Comment

Poss. worth considering if any of your rellies were Mariners. Chichester is very near several harbourside settlements (e.g. Birdham, Bosham, Chidham, Dell Quay, Emsworth, Fishbourne, Langstone, Northney, South Hayling, Southbourne, West Itchenor, West Thorney and West Wittering.​).

Comment

I do have many ancestors from those villages, and they seem to move each generation. But occupations or any kind of detail in parish records is very rare in the 18th century around chichester. I would have expected if someone was from another county it would have been noted, but perhaps only on marriages....

Comment

there is an Edward in Chichester that is an auctioneer
              pascoe1.jpg

pascoe2.jpg

no names you mentioned but thought I would snip for you
              pasco3.jpg
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

here are a few random snips that could be some of the family, there are many about Robert Pasco that seems to be a policeman - and getting more senior. I assume there must have been a Robert of that was the fathers name.

pasco7.jpg
                pasco4.jpg
                pasco5.jpg
                pasco6.jpg
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                X