Looking for Thomas and Mercy Benefield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Thomas and Mercy Benefield

In 1788 Merc(e)y Woolley marries Thomas Benefield in Stamford Baron. I think she is the Mercey Woolley born in Braunstone Rutland in 1766, parents Edward and Susannah. I know that some of Merceys' siblings ended up in Leicester, and I found the death for a Thomas Benfield in 1837 in Leicester, age 71. His abode is just "North". In 1849 Mercy Binfield is buried in Leicester, age 85. She is a widow and her abode is Northumberland St. These could be my Thomas and Mercy, but can anyone find any more information for them, especially Mercy in the 1841 census.

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I can’t find her in 1841 census on the big two sites.

Comment

Neither can I, sorry. I did check out all households for Northumberland Street in the address search to see if there was a mistranscription :(
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 11-05-23, 16:35.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks for looking. I also had a trawl through the records and came up with this one

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...w/6497996:8978 on Ancestry she is transcribed as Mary Benfer, on FMP as Mary B?. She is living with a Charles Benfer/B? and it also looks like Edward Woolley is living with them. They are all born out of county. Charles is said to be 5 years old and a Woolcomber, but I think this is an error and Charles is older.

I then found the baptism for Charles Bonfield, son of Thomas and Mercy on 13 Sep 1807 in Warwick. There were a few other children baptised to Thomas and Mary Benfield in Warwick in the years 1803 - 1812, so maybe Mercy became Mary.

Oh and if it is Mercy, the Edward Woolley she is with in the census is her brother, my 3xGGrandfather!

Am I on the right trail?

Linda

Comment

I think ozgirl might well be right about that 1841 entry. The Enumerator's "walk-though" describes the district as follows: All that part of St Margarets Parish in the Boro of Leicester comprising Soar Lane, Pringle, Northgate Street, Frog Island, Old Mill Lane, Northumberland Street, Birkley Street (sic) https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...w/6497996:8978

In 1841 "Mary Benfer" is living at Mill Yard, which judging by the surrounding addresses was very close to Frog Island and Northgate Street. The map below is from several years later, but to the left of the railway lines you should see Frog Island leading straight down into Northgate Street.

The 1849 burial of Mercy Binfield gave her address as Northumberland Street - which is on the bottom right of the same map, and very close to Northgate Street.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/114594036#z...9686&layers=BT

Charles Bonfield seems to have moved about a bit, but the1849 baptisms of his sons John & Paul also give an address of Northumberland Street, as does John's subsequent burial.
          Last edited by teasie; 12-05-23, 02:47.

Comment

Thanks Teasie. The funny thing is, while I was looking for Mercy. I didn't even notice Edward right at the bottom of the page, even though I had identified him years earlier on this particular census, Must be because the writing is so faded, but it wasn't until I looked at the transcription for the page that the penny finally dropped,

After more research, I don't think the Charles with her is her son, as that Charles married in Loughborough in 1834. It is possible that this is Charles John Benfield born 1823 in Warwick, son of Thomas and Sarah Benfield. My theory is that Thomas could be another son of Thomas and Mercy, born between their marriage in 1788 and the first birth in Warwick in 1803, but I have yet to find anything more about him.
            Linda

Comment

Working...
            X