Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with finding out my 3rd great grandfather's parents.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
    Some great work there PhotoFamily x
    Yep, just came on to say exactly the same!

Christine

Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      Some great work there PhotoFamily x
      Yep, just came on to say exactly the same!

Christine

EDIT

PS not sure why this has repeated, but worth saying twice anyway
      Last edited by Karamazov; 13-05-23, 19:06.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Well, not much joy, and I'll send a PM.

First, there's a record of a burial in Glasgow Municipal Cemetery for Thomas Wilson, Age 65, "GR Issue of 23 Nov 1899". Hmm. I didn't see what GR stood for. But that name, age and location are a really good match for him, and it's where your other peeps are located. It seems to be a match for this grave

Sometimes the deceased are listed on censuses that they weren't alive for. Remember that in the 1900, his YOB and age are left blank. I strongly suspect he died in 1899.

There is a Thomas Wilson, Sergeant of Company E Sixth Regiment, First Kentucky Brigade - have you scoped him out? Sorry, I didn't copy the reference it came from, but it would have been in regards to Barren County.

Other thoughts - if Sandra Gorin is still in business, she would be an excellent contact, tho she may be a paid researcher. She's written numerous books of information about Glasgow and Barren Co.

I looked at two books indexing Wills and Probates that should have included your peeps if they left an estate in Barren. No joy.

I've been told that Land Records are very important in tracing family lines in South/Southeast parts of the US.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
          Letha is living with her family in the 1860 in Jackson Co, TN
          https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...3A1%3AM8TN-Z7Y

There is a Thomas Wilson, born abt 1843, living in Jackson Co, TN with his father Thomas Wilson (implied)
          https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...3A1%3AM8YM-VNR
          [/url]
          If this were my family tree, this would be my top candidate for the T E Wilson you're looking for, until I could prove it otherwise.

You could request photos of the graves of Letha and Thomas Wilson using the request function on FindAGrave - you can ask the volunteer photographer if the graves are close together/same plot. I suspect they don't have stones, or at least he doesn't. If you're very lucky, the sextant will have plat records for the cemetery, and be able to tell you who is buries with whom, and who bought the plots. A link to their info

I still think there should have been an obit in a local newspaper. No joy looking thru indexes at the library today, but a local genealogy group might know better where to look.
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 13-05-23, 22:34.

Comment

Wilson, Thomasfrom
            https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-...ilson+sergeant Overview:

6th Infantry Regiment was organized at Cave City, Kentucky, in November, 1861, and included in Cofer's 1st Kentucky Infantry Battalion. Its members were raised in the counties of Nelson, Spencer, Hardin, Franklin, Barren, Green, Allen, Anderson, Bullitt, and Simpson​.....

Not sure how you go about getting more info about the unit. There's a website for a different company, same Regiment - they're doing reenactments. They might have info about tracking down this company.

Comment

Wilson, Thomasfrom
              https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-...ilson+sergeant Overview:

6th Infantry Regiment was organized at Cave City, Kentucky, in November, 1861, and included in Cofer's 1st Kentucky Infantry Battalion. Its members were raised in the counties of Nelson, Spencer, Hardin, Franklin, Barren, Green, Allen, Anderson, Bullitt, and Simpson​.....

Not sure how you go about getting more info about the unit. There's a website for a different company, same Regiment - they're doing reenactments. They might have info about tracking down this company.
              I don't think that would be him. Why go to Kentucky when you can join a regiment in Tenneessee? I had a grandfather 3 cousins and 2 uncles in that confederate regiment though. Also the family tree with Sela Wilson and Thomas H Wilson doesn't look right. Thomas said his parents were from tenneessee in all of his census's. He also said he was 23 in 1870. Making his birth year 1847. But then again, We don't know where he got the information or if he was wrong himself.

Comment

PhotoFamily I looked up that family tree. It traces back to a Thomas F Wilson born in 1842. Not my grandfather. The pictures you sent, weren't of much help either sadly(thanks for sending them nonetheless!). Not sure where to go from here. It's like Thomas Alvin/E Wilson's family just dropped off the face of the earth.

Comment

genetic genealogy?

Comment

genetic genealogy?
                    Maybe.

Comment

Would land records be helpful?

Comment

Possibly - I haven't tried it much, and when I did, I didn't really get much. But I've been told that land records can be a key to some families, especially in the areas your researching. Also wills. I guess what you would hope is a land transfer from father to son.

Here's FS's wiki about TN land research
                        The availability of land attracted many immigrants to America and encouraged westward expansion. Land ownership was generally recorded in an area as soon as settlers began to arrive. You can locate ancestral deeds using the Tennessee Property Records Online. An online index is also available for ancestral and modern deeds specific to Shelby County. You can use land records primarily to learn where an individual lived and when. They often reveal family information, such as the name of a spouse, heir, other relatives, or neighbors. You may learn where a person lived previously, his occupation, if he had served in the military, if he was a naturalized citizen, and other clues. Sale of the land may show when he left, and may mention where he was moving.

and KY
                        The availability of land attracted many immigrants to America and encouraged westward expansion. Land ownership was generally recorded in an area as soon as settlers began to arrive. Land records are primarily used to learn where an individual lived and when he or she lived there. They often reveal other family information such as the name of a spouse, heirs, other relatives, and neighbors.

I have a friend who was researching her VA and WV ancestry. Lots of people from her area of the country have done genetic genealogy. You could be lucky and find good matches if you tested.

Comment

Working...
                        X