Edward White Sussex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward White Sussex

can anyone see edward white other than this 1861 census? he was b.1788 chichester to john and christiana.

edward white, b.1787, chichester in 1861 at midhurst, sussex. furniture broker? widowed.

i don't think he is the edward white in harting, sussex with wife elizabeth chitty, as there is a baptism in 1787 at harting for him. and he isn't the one c.1790 married to susan living in yapton, sussex.

Not finding anything

there is an Edward White in South St, Chichester in 1866, 1874 & 1882 directory as a furniture broker. could be a son/relation?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

maybe him:
      First name(s) Edward
      Last name White
      Sex Male
      Event year 1865
      Burial year 1865
      Burial date 25 Oct 1865
      Burial place Midhurst, Sussex, England
      Place Midhurst
      County Sussex
      Country England
      Record set Sussex Burials
      Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
      Subcategory Parish Burials
      Collections from England, Great Britain

The marriage of Edward and Elizabeth Chitty was at All saints, Chichester, same as his baptism. i don't think he is your man either though - he seems to be a tailor. Found quite a few marriages of his children in Harting.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...ccessSource​
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 07-05-23, 23:32.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I did notice that the property he was in 1861 the lodger Ann Reed (Reid) is there in 1851 cannot make out what her relationship is - looks like and is transcribed as waiter, and it looks like it is a shop, Rumbolds Hill seems to be a shopping area.

have had a look in papers and not finding anything either.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Comment

Not just me then....i've always struggled with this branch, can only trace 2 of the 8 siblings. The one in the directories could be related, i'm not aware of any descendants asides from his sister, my ancestor, christiana.

Comment

Sadly the newspapers for that area that are available are much later. Midhurst is on my list to visit this summer, when I go to Dad's bungalow, will have to wander down Rumbolds Hill.

Which siblings have you managed to trace, where did they end up?
            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 08-05-23, 09:43.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

I think I may have a lead....

I think one of the siblings of Edward b is John Lash/lush White?

I have been looking into Edward White b1817 (seems to have a middle name of Honeywood on and off). he was at South Street Chichester, so probably the guy in the trade directory.

He seems to have married Elizabeth turner

I have just found the baptism of his son - and it seems to be John Lash/Lush White - so must be a connection, seems to much of a coincidence.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...0&pid=40247895 3704

the children I have found so far:

Elizabeth Jane White
              1846–
              Walter White
              1847–
              Arthur White
              1852–
              Helen White
              1856–
              John Lash White
              1858–
              Edward White
              1864–
              Edith Sarah White
              1868–

this is the marriage

Name Elizabeth Turner
              Gender Female
              Marriage Date 22 Apr 1844
              Marriage Place Saint Marys,Portsea,Hampshire,England
              Spouse
              Edward Honywood White​
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Elizabeth Honeywood and Edward white married in Southwark 1813.

I think these are the children births are based on baptisms, so could be different

John White
                1814–

Frederick White
                1815–

Edward Honeywood White
                1817–1888 there are 2 deaths one in 1889 assume this to be father and son

George White
                1819–

Jemima Elizabeth White
                1822–

Thomas White
                1824–

Sarah White
                1826–

he is an upholsterer most of the time, this could be your Edward and family. can't find a marriage record with is father, banns are on Ancestry. ​

there is a Edward and George on 1841 census in Arundel ages fit with this family
                Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

not sure why marriage would be in Portsea
                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 08-05-23, 22:11.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Yes, correct, john lush white was the first sibling. I think you might have cracked edward. I'll take a closer look.

Quite a few of my ancestors from chichester have married in hampshire, portsea and north hayling so far.

Comment

found this I think it was 1854, didn't note in on snip.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 23.58.59.png

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 23.54.07.png

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 09.24.45.png

which siblings of Edward 1787 have you traced?

coincidentally I went to Arundel last Tuesday, lovely place, lots of old places, big castle and a river. Not been in years.

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 09-05-23, 09:30.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Edward white b1863 son of Edward Honeywood is an undertaker and with wife Alice on census. I can see Edward white and sons undertaker in the papers, and think they were still in business until recently, looks like they are now co-op funeralcare,

john Lush White also an undertaker in 1851 trade directories, not sure which one!

edward white.jpg ​​​​​​​
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

did you see John Lush white has a will and died childless, could be worth £1.50 to see what he says.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

John White (c.1757-1843) is in st olave, chichester in 1841, an upholder. with son john lush white, and at the bottom of the page is jemima white, age 15- likely to be edward's granddaughter: https://www.ancestry.com.au/imagevie...n&pId=10697740

would be worth getting the will for john lush white. death reg is 79, so will be the uncle.

Comment

this is the will in case you hadn't found it. fingers crossed he has mentioned lots of relatives in the will!

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Interesting about Jemima - that does link in that right Edward found then, do you know who John and Mary Heath are?

Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                            X