familysearch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• familysearch

Had an email to say I have notifications on familysearch. I find it so annoying that anybody can change your tree on there. somebody deleted my 3rd great grandfather because somebody else has done research!!!
    I have the birth certificate of my 2nd great grandmother Eliza Baker b 1843 parents Thomas Baker and Hannah Sinden formerly guy. so Hannah Sinden was widowed 1832 and just lived with Thomas Baker and moved from Sussex to Kent. Her 2 children from Sinden are now listed on 1841 census as Baker. She does not die until 1893 under the name Hannah Baker but I have never found a marriage for them. There is a death of a Hannah Sinden 1855 so everybody assumes that is Hannah Guy. I have tried to correct people with these details and as yet nobody has got the death certificate from 1855.. So now somebody has deleted Thomas Baker and put because Ken Sinden has done reseach.lol Well so have I. I have sent them a message telling them so.

That is so annoying, I remember your thread about this and how thorough you have been with your research.

Comment

how silly that it lets you make a change to someone else's tree. They are on a mission to get to the top of the tree so guess for religious reasons they will get there by any means regardless of accuracy!
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
        That is so annoying, I remember your thread about this and how thorough you have been with your research.
        Yes I even had a dna match to one of sindens descendants but the tree was being done by somebody else. tried explaining the connection but she was having none of it. lol I do feel like getting the death certificate of the one that died 1855 to see what information is on there

Comment

This is from Sussex burials. Transcript only. When was your Hannah born?
          First name(s) Hannah
          Last name Sinden
          Birth year 1800
          Age 55y
          Death year 1855
          Burial year 1855
          Burial date 18 Feb 1855
          Description St.Peter
          Place Bexhill
          County Sussex
          Country England
          Record set Sussex Burials

Comment

there was a thread on this before.

OOOooooooh so excited,,,,,,,,,, just hope I get a reply. When I ordered a birth certificate for Eliza Baker b 1842 it gave the mother as Hannah Guy formerly Sinden. Her first husband died 1832 and I never found a 2nd marriage for her to Thomas Baker so just assume they lived together but she lived until 1893. Most people that

maybe worth a new look with more records out there.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

This is why I would never put a tree on FamilySearch. I did once start on there with a tiny, tiny portion of my tree and, my goodness, you should see how it grew ..... all completely wrong!!
              Anne

Comment

Trees on familysearch are not private, they are public and anyone can edit them. Bad idea having a tree there lol we see how messed up the average ancestry tree is.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                  This is from Sussex burials. Transcript only. When was your Hannah born?

1806 as far as i know so that also helps prove my theory if the one died 1855 was born 1800 a few years difference

Comment

but on the plus side of familysearch somebody claims to be connected to my grandfathers first wife ellen clarke whom I can find out nothing about so email sent to that person

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                      but on the plus side of familysearch somebody claims to be connected to my grandfathers first wife ellen clarke whom I can find out nothing about so email sent to that person
                      Hope that one turns out to be a good contact gloryer
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 07-05-23, 17:04.

Comment

If you have your Hannah for definite on the 1861-81 censuses you could save yourself the cost of the pdf of the death.

Comment

I have her 51 to 81 and her death in parish records. what I need is the death certificate of the one that died n 1855 and hope that the informant or some other information on there proves its not mine

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Hope that one turns out to be a good contact gloryer
                            this is a bit of a strange coincidence. I found a possible Ellen clarke mothers maiden name Coombs and the person that claimed to be connected to Ellen on family search has the surname coombs Not going to jump to conclusions though as no response from her yet

Comment

If you are no further forwards in the next couple of weeks, I will look when I get home because in my mother’s DNA birthfamily lines, I have a COOMBE, COMBE, COOMBES female with a not straightforward heritage. I can’t for the life of me remember which county she was born in but she married and died in Scotland. Her husband changed his name twice by deed poll. Nothing scandalous just frictional family dynamics.

Comment

well I have paid the £2.50 for a digital image of Hannah Sinden's death 1855. I was hoping there would be more detail on there but alas there is only the person present and cause of death. However on the 1851 census I found this Hannah Sinden in Bexhill Battle which is where she died and was registered and she has a daughter Sarah Ann aged 18. Tried to find them on 1841 census but couldnt find them so I now know that I have the right Hannah Sinden maiden name Guy as my 3rd great grandmother no matter what anybody else believes.

Comment

I share your frustration, Gloryer. I made the mistake of putting part of my tree on Family Search and have had my 2x great grandmother "tampered" with. I know I have the right information, have the certs and personal family history to prove it (she lived to 99 and my father knew her well). I tried contacting the person who had made the changes but, of course, no response. I really wish I could remove my tree altogether but that's not possible.
                                  Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenoco View Post
                                    I share your frustration, Gloryer. I made the mistake of putting part of my tree on Family Search and have had my 2x great grandmother "tampered" with. I know I have the right information, have the certs and personal family history to prove it (she lived to 99 and my father knew her well). I tried contacting the person who had made the changes but, of course, no response. I really wish I could remove my tree altogether but that's not possible.
                                    It really is daft that your tree can be altered. The only solution is to alter it back again. I have heard some people spend quite a lot of time re-correcting their trees on FamilySearch, over and over again if necessary. I only put a tiny part of mine on there and it grew backwards, completely wrongly but I have just left it.

Anne

Comment

I guess as LDS need their family tree to exist, and wonder if they want to believe in certain trees being theirs, that is more important to accuracy?
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

I heard discussion that there are ways to dispute the information/connections on FamilyTree. I don't keep a tree there, tho many of my branches have been put there either by their automated entry system or by individuals.

WikiTree also sets up a dispute/arbitration system if the parties that can't agree can't work it out for themselves. In addition, there are ways of "Project Protection" for profiles that have editors that persist in changing agreed on points.
                                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 11-07-23, 13:56.

Comment

Working...
                                        X