Janet McDonald of Applecross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janet McDonald of Applecross

Janet McDonald born c.1850 Applecross, Rosshire. dau of Alexander McDonald, a ship owner and Catherine Matheson. have her in 1851 and 1861 census, then nothing. can anyone spot her?

1861: https://www.ancestry.com.au/discover...=1013687937391

Would this help? I don’t see another JanetMc/MacDonald baptised on Skye 1849-1852 on ScotlandsPeople so the family could have moved?

Marriage

MACDONALD JANET MACKAY MURDO 1887 089 / 5 UIG (ROSS AND CROMARTY
    ​

Death

MACDONALD or MACKAY
    JANET
    age 76
    mms MATHESON
    F
    117 / 2 / 6
    SNIZORT SOUTH

Comment

Ooh i'll look at that tonight.

Comment

unfortunately neither of those are correct.

marriage states parents are donald mcdonald and mary mcnaughton. death states she was janet mckay married to murdo mcdonald. parents john mckay and isabella matheson.

Comment

Tarn it! She was the only Janet Mc or MacDonald that came up in the SP deaths with mms Matheson or variant and born 1850 +/- 3 years.
          I wonder if they emigrated or ended up in England or Ireland? Have you tried both of those places yet?
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 01-05-23, 15:09.

Comment

The link you provided is to a JESSIE McDonald, so could she be the Jessie McDonald who married Murdoch BEATON in 1881, Applecross?

Their first child was Catherine b 1881 Applecross, and the family can be found in 1891 still in Applecross but Murdoch is MURDO BEATON born c1852

Jessie Beaton died in 1927, but her mother's maiden name has been given as McDonald instead of her own.

EDIT: Hmmm, maybe not. The census etc shows this particular Jessie as born c1860, not 1850.

In 1881 she is with Murdo in Applecross as Janet Beaton aged 22.​

Last edited by teasie; 01-05-23, 16:20.

Comment

Jessie and janet are interchangeable with scots for some reason. I've been looking under both, with no surname and mother's name matheson in the death indexes, but nothing jumps out at me.

I'm not averse to her age being wrong. Her parents married 1849 at applecross, there isn't a baptism. There's just no sign of her after the 2 census'. She isn't with her three sisters on any later census.

Comment

OK, I think I've got her in 1871 at 66 Huntly Street, Inverness. Ancestry has transcribed her PoB as "Appleaross, rosssh" πŸ™„

She is in a household headed by John Mackintosh, his wife Helen Ross, and their various Mackintosh children:

Jessie MacDonald 21 Unmarried Servant born Applecross, Ross & Cromarty.

ADDED: Oh dear, Ive just found another one, also in Inverness - South Side Terrace, South Side Road, Inverness:

Jessie McDonald 20 Unmarried Domestic Servant born Applecross, Ross & Cromarty

In this second one there are various McCulloch & McDonald's and also a John Matheson aged 35 born Inverness
                Last edited by teasie; 02-05-23, 01:44.

Comment

Working...
                X