Trying to find Bennett of Warwick QLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find Bennett of Warwick QLD

I just read some threads with interest. I am trying to find my ancestors back from my Grandfather, this is what I have so far;

I have traced BENNETT name back to 6th October 1876. This is when my Great Grand Parents were married.

They were married in WARWICK, QLD, the name on the marriage certificate is Henry Pillinger MABLE married Janet Sophia WHITE. His parents are recorded on the Marriage Certificate as John MABLE and Mary ANN SALMONNIE, he was born in Oxford, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND, however, this cannot be substantiate.

My Grandfather was born in 1877 and name recorded on his birth certificate is Henry William MABLE, my Great Uncle was born 1880 as George Charles MABLE, he died 9th January 1883 (2 ½), his name on his death Certificate is George Charles BENNETT.

So somewhere between when George Charles was born and his death the name changed from MABLE to BENNETT for reasons unknown. I do not know if the name was changed back to BENNETT or to BENNETT.

The family seemed to move around the Inglewood, Warwick, Leyburn, South Toolburra and some of the towns in between.

One son James Arthur BENNETT has his place of birth recorded on his death certificate as TENTERFIELD, however, on his birth certificate his name is James Arthur White PATTERSON, his date of birth is 6th June 1882.

A daughter Daisy was born in Goulburn and married a William James NEELAND in Brisbane in 1928.

A daughter May Elizabeth was born in Sydney Benevolent Society, her name recorded on her Birth Certificate is May Elizabeth Jane Kelly.

The last three children were not Henry Pillinger MABLE, Aka Henry William BENNETT’s.

Regards, Retiree46
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 27-04-23, 14:53.

Originally posted by Retiree46 View Post
    I just read some threads with interest. I am trying to find my ancestors back from my Grandfather, this is what I have so far;

I have traced BENNETT name back to 6th October 1876. This is when my Great Grand Parents were married.

They were married in WARWICK, QLD, the name on the marriage certificate is Henry Pillinger MABLE married Janet Sophia WHITE. His parents are recorded on the Marriage Certificate as John MABLE and Mary ANN SALMONNIE, he was born in Oxford, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND, however, this cannot be substantiate.

My Grandfather was born in 1877 and name recorded on his birth certificate is Henry William MABLE, my Great Uncle was born 1880 as George Charles MABLE, he died 9th January 1883 (2 ½), his name on his death Certificate is George Charles BENNETT.

So somewhere between when George Charles was born and his death the name changed from MABLE to BENNETT for reasons unknown. I do not know if the name was changed back to BENNETT or to BENNETT.
    Sorry, I'm a bit unclear as to whether your Grandfather had the name Henry William MABLE, or whether this was recorded as his father's name?

Also what name is given for the father on the birth & death certificates for George Charles MABLE/BENNETT?

Do you have any idea of the approximate YoB for Henry Pillinger MABLE / BENNETT?

Comment

Hi Teasie, This is the only paper record I have of my Great Grandfather. Janet Sophia White MC.jpg

Comment

there is a marriage between
        Martha Salmoni and John Pillinger 1822 in Oxford, about as close as I can get at the moment. Paper has this one as Mr T Pillinger to Martha eldest daughter of Mr Salmoni of St Clements

There is a Mary Ann Salmoni marriage 1838 but to John Jones in paper at St Clements Church daughter of Mr Salmoni of St Clements
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-04-23, 18:16.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I have had a look at the Oxfordshire records, and it seems even more complicated. The name Mable/Mabel does not occur at all in the time frame. I then had a look for Mary Ann Salmonnie, as that seemed an uncommon name. I found Mary Ann Salmoni who married on 9th October 1838 in Oxford to John Jones. John was a College Servant at Jesus College, and his father was George Jones, a stone mason. Mary Ann's father was Mark Salmoni, a barometer maker.

John and Mary Ann had 11 children, but as far as I can see none called Henry.
          They were John, 1839; George, 1840; Edward, 1841; Mary, 1842; Edward, 1843; Thomas, 1844; Mary Martha Pillinger. 1846; Edward William, 1848; Mary Anne Martha. 1850;Bessie Jane Matilda, 1852 and Emily Cartwright Sims, 1855.

Obviously the name Pillinger is interesting, so it might be worth a little more research into this family. Do you have any idea when Henry arrived in Australia - it might be interesting to know what name he travelled under.
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Ooh cross-posted Carolyn, but your post is interesting, as it gives a link between Pillinger and Salmoni. It is possible that Martha was Mary Anns sister, as she names a couple of her daughters Martha.
            Last edited by ozgirl; 28-04-23, 17:47.
            Linda

Comment

if it is the family, there are further announcements in the paper
              183i Thomas Salmoni (eldest son of Mark Salmoni) to Martha 3rd Daughter of Mr Bennett
              1833 marriage of Mark salmoni to Anne Mary Winefride of Dorset
              1826 marriage of Lucy salmoni to William Rouse Herald Painter of the city

Mark Salmoni died 12th July 1841 after a long and painful illness

I think he was a clock and watchmaker as his effect are up for sale in 1842,
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-04-23, 18:05.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I also cross posted! Salmoni such an unusual name like you say. Maybe Martha died? and Henry her child and brought up by Mary Ann.

there is a death of John Pillinger sadly also long and painfu; age 76 in 1868. 2 Park street much respected.

15/- pension to the widow of the late Bedel, John Pillinger

then in 1872 there are a number of properties up for sale following death of John Pillinger
                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-04-23, 18:11.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Bennett - another of the names used by Henry! Mark's will is on Ancestry, he left most of his estate to his wife on trust as long as she remained a widow, and bequests to his children, Thomas, William, Mark, Martha, Lucy, Elizabeth and Mary Ann. In a codicil he leaves £19,19s to son in law John Jones.

Mark is also on 44 trees on Ancestry. Given Henry Pillinger Mable's age on his marriage certificate, I wonder if he could be Thomas b1844, as it is possible the 2 first Edwards died.
                  Linda

Comment

Mark Salmoni will is on ancestry

Martha and Mary Ann are both named

1841 Mark and Ann on census he is a clock dealer and from Foreign parts
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

hee hee we keep cross posting. I see that on a few of the children's marriage certs Mark is a silversmith.

not seeing Mable anywhere though. I have not seen Bennett either yet

sorry just realised I had posted Thomas married Martha Bennett!
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-04-23, 19:04.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

I think Martha died childless 1876 and has a will, could be worth getting that at £1.50

Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

It doesn't look like John Pillinger and Martha had any children.

Lucy Salmoni Rouse remarried as a widow in 1839 in London to John Alexander Dowie.

Can't see what happened to Martha Bennett Salmoni - some trees have her husband Thomas with another wife in Canada
                          Linda

Comment

John Dowie is executor of will above.

you can order it via here https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Info on john and Martha

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                John Dowie is executor of will above.

you can order it via here https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/
                                Presumably that would be Lucy's 2nd husband!
                                Linda

Comment

good find on the article, need a snippet that ties in with Henry Pillinger Mable. with maybe some Bennett.

I had noticed that there was a niece with them, and was hoping to find another family member with them.

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post

Presumably that would be Lucy's 2nd husband!
                                  yes i am assuming so. the will could be interesting as she has no family of her own, maybe she mentions all and sundry.

Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

John Jones died 9 Sep 1959 of a ruptured blood vessel. He left a wife and 7 children but also a will.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource.

Trying to trace the surviving sons, John, George, Thomas and Edward William.
                                    Linda

Comment

have you found a death for Mary Ann? I can see that she ran tearooms in Park End Street, and moved to there from Holywell.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

No, haven't found it yet. The trees say she died in 1892 but the records do not match up. There is a death in Dec Q 1871, but that it another Mary Ann Jones. Last sighting is the 1861 census. I did wonder if she had remarried.
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X