Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record lookup?

I have a transcription of two baptisms
    "Edward John Veale" was baptised 19 Feb 1837, "said to be born 25 September 1826". Father John (Labourer in H.M Yard) and Charlotte Joyce; abode Devonport.
    and
    "William Coverley Veale" same dates/parents, except "Said to be born 5 Jan 1829"

These are from:

Devon Family History Society, '''The Deanery of the Three Towns''', Exeter, England : Devon Family History Society, c2004 , CD-ROM

I'm wondering if anyone has access to the actual baptismal records? Are they on FMP? I'd be interesting in getting a copy.

Also - "Labourer in H.M. Yard" - would there be any records about him, in relation to his employer and work?

Thanks!

The original records, for Stoke Damerel Church, are on Familysearch - just click through the result, when searching for Edward John VEALE, to the parish record.[Edward John is at the bottom of one page and William Coverly at the top of the next page]

Comment

I suspect the HM Yards refers to theyards ofHis Majesty's Naval Base, Devonport - (now the largest Naval Base in Europe), the history of which can be viewed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMNB_D...(New_Gun_Wharf)

At the time of the baptisms in 1820/30s there were two yards - South Yard and Morice Yard.
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-04-23, 11:56.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
        The original records, for Stoke Damerel Church, are on Familysearch - just click through the result, when searching for Edward John VEALE, to the parish record.[Edward John is at the bottom of one page and William Coverly at the top of the next page]
        So awesome! I'm revisiting research that I had done years ago, and they didn't have the images then, just the CD information. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
          I suspect the HM Yards refers to theyards ofHis Majesty's Naval Base, Devonport - (now the largest Naval Base in Europe), the history of which can be viewed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMNB_D...(New_Gun_Wharf)

At the time of the baptisms in 1820/30s there were two yards - South Yard and Morice Yard.
          This family moved around, and I'm not clear on his work. It's tough to put together details for an ancestor who wasn't newsworthy.

Also, this family were Dissenters. The children were initially baptised by a Dissenting Minister. Something must have triggered the decision to baptise them CoE.

Comment

I have another one for this Veale line -
            Edwards Emily Frances St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 670 Scan available - click to view
            GREVILLE-SMYTH John H St Geo.H. Sq. 1a 670 Scan available - click to view
            ROOTHAM Maud Mary St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 670 Scan available - click to view
            Smyth John Henry G St Geo Han Sq 1a 670 Scan available - click to view
            Veale Edward Woodhouse St Geo Han Sq 1a 670 Scan available - click to view
            ​ Edward Veale marries Maud Mary - record is not on FS. I'm interested in his father's trade, and the witnesses to the wedding.
            thanks
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 06-04-23, 18:10.

Comment

The year isnt included in your request above, but it was 1884 (26 Apr) at St George Hanover Square.

Fathers were Edward John Veale, Gentleman, and Samuel Rootham, Professor of Music.

Wits: Samuel Rootham & William George Veale.

Comment

Sorry, continuing with this line, John Roger Veale apparently married Alice, probably in Canada?. I think this is him in BC in 1891
                Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

but I can't see the other members of the household on FS.

but then they go back to UK? Baptisms for their children
                Reginald John Veale
                Clifton, St John the Evangelist, Gloucestershire
                28 May 1893
                Roger Geoffrey Veale
                Male
                Montpelier, St Andrew, Gloucestershire
                28 Jan 1900
                Amy Charlotte Grace Veale
                Female
                6 Nov 1892
                Clifton, Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom

and then to New Brunswick
                Noel Joyce Coverley Veale
                Female
                25 Dec 1901
                Red Head - Simons, St John, New Brunswick

There are death registrations, too, but I'm interested in John & Alice's marriage record

Comment

Online trees say John Roger Decoverly Veale married Alice Augusta Cogan on 3 Jul 1889 at Churchbridge, Saskatchewan (Assinaboia).

Comment

Just e-mailed a copy of Edward and Maud's Marriage
                    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

teasie thanks for both.

It looks like SK certs are not indexed/viewable online, but must be ordered (and paid for)? Anyone know anything different?

Comment

Hi Photo Family,

ehealthsask.ca/residents /genealogy

They do have a genealogy index which shows:

Births over 100 years
                        Deaths over 75 years

However they have not got the marriage index online as yet.

Saskatchewan became a province in Canada in 1905.

And yes, unfortunately you will have to order and pay for bmd certificates which is an expensive way to go - $55 for a marriage cert.

bcbrit

George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

I have ancestry.ca if you would me like me to do look-ups

bcbrit
                          George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Thanks! Letting this one go, tho.

Comment

Working...
                            X