Military Service Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Service Numbers

Hi, can I ask if military service numbers change for a person they change from one regiment to another, from Army to Navy etc?

I have photos of my Great Grandfather, Charles Peacock in his WW2 Navy Uniform and have heard he had medals but I've never been able to find a record for him online. Yesterday I attended my Grandfather's funeral and his sister in law, Charlie's daughter and her own daughter told me that Charlie had been in the Army first, they even sent me copies of his Army leaving certificate last night which mentions his name, dates of service and service number but again I'm still not getting anything from it.

I know I can apply for the records but if the number changes from branches I'm wondering if it would be more difficult?
    Last edited by lennon2011; 01-04-23, 20:54.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Yes, they can change. One of my gt. uncles had two different ones in WW1. I don’t know enough about how and why this happened but I know from a medal card that it did.

Comment

Agree with GL.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

The can change if you go to a different regiment too. In WW1 my grandfather started out with a new number from his permanent service number after he retired in 1910 and was recalled in 1914 and when the RA was reorganised later in the war for some reason 275000 was added to all RA numbers so he had 46952, then 3394 and finally 278394.
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Yes service numbers will differ from army to navy. There are no online service records for WW2, though the Navy Lists are on Ancestry up to 1970 which lists officers.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I never knew he had been in the Army first but the Regiment was the Kings Royal Rifle Corps, his rank says BGR (Brigadier maybe?)and the dates were 1926-1934, he got married in 1936. Nana was born in 1939 and we have 2 photos of Charlie in different naval uniforms, one must have been towards the end of the war because Nana looks around 5-6 at least. I've got a badly taken photo of a letter he wrote that indicates he was in India at the time and he had medals because my Dad was supposed to get them when Charlie died but they got stolen. Dad was 16 at the time.
            Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

My Dad was in the Navy in WW2 and he had his own records. Didn't know until we cleared the house out and in a very old envelope and without looking think they were sent to him quite soon after he was de-mobbed. There might be more records somewhere but this one mentions where he was and on what ship, mostly land based though.
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

After 1920 a man kept his service number even if he changed regiment, which wasn't uncommon. The numbers initially allocated to the King's Royal Rifles were 6837001 - 6905000.

Brigadier is a very senior rank, so I think the family would have known. Could he have been a bugler?

As the Royal Navy is a different branch of the military, then he would have been issued a new number on enlisting during WW2.

Comment

Working...
                X