Robertshaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robertshaw

I am trying to find info.on an Angus McLEAN b 1891 Spott,East Lothian , Scotland and his wife Marion Robertshaw .b 1887c,Allerton ,Bradford . Yorks. Can`t find anything on their time in Burma . They went to Burma in 1921,on the Herefordshire. Marion worked with children ,I believe she was in QARANC ,she was a nurse in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary 1914/1915They must have returned at some time as I have the 1925 passenger list going out to Burma . Angus is in Indian Agricultural Service. They returned in 1939 ,Southampton , on the Windsor Castle. He is a civil servant . The next info is he is the Principal of Dumfries College , Scotland . I have their death certs,which state they both died in Dumfries,but can`t find a burial place or headstone.Going round in circles on `Find a Grave `. Angus`s parents are Angus McLEAN and Mary Ann Mcdonald both born Inverness , Scotland .Marion `s parents are Illingworth Robertshaw and Martha Bywater. b Allerton ,Yorkshire .

Many thanks
    E Porteous
    Last edited by julip; 23-03-23, 16:21.

“Dumfries College”?? I haven’t heard of this in the 1930s. The former Dumfries Technical College has undergone numerous slight name changes and is now Dumfries College but it didn’t open till 1961.

What were their jobs, addresses and death dates on their death certificates? Were they Roman Catholic? If they were there might be a connection with St. Joseph’s College which was then a one faith school for boys.

The main school in Dumfries at the time which would likely call its head teacher a ‘principal’ was Dumfries Academy. Are you certain of the word “college”? What is your reference for this?
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-03-23, 19:38.

Comment

I’m not finding either of them on findagrave, billiongraves or deceasedonline. If you can wait till next week, I go and look at the death indexes in Ewart library, Dumfries. Hopefully there will be funeral notices for both of them that say where the interment will be.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-03-23, 21:10.

Comment

Just had another close look at Angus`s death cert .He was Principal of Agricultural College ,retired .Doesn`t say where, assumed it was Dumfries ,re address. Died at ``Wayside``, Edinburgh Road ,Dumfries , Marion Robertshaw, died 1956, same address. Married to Angus McLEAN ,Inspector , Dept of Agriculture . Again does not say where.

Thank you for offering to see where they are buried . That would be great .
        Evelyn Porteous .

Comment

Just checked ,there is an agricultural college ,in Dumfries.
          Wonder if I could contact them ,they might have details of principals etc .
          Would still appreciate info.from Ewart
          Evelyn Porteous

Comment

Have you tried the newspapers, having that kind of job he may have been mentioned.

It seems there is a problem at them moment with them, will have a look later
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by julip View Post
              Just had another close look at Angus`s death cert .He was Principal of Agricultural College ,retired .Doesn`t say where, assumed it was Dumfries ,re address. Died at ``Wayside``, Edinburgh Road ,Dumfries , Marion Robertshaw, died 1956, same address. Married to Angus McLEAN ,Inspector , Dept of Agriculture . Again does not say where.

Thank you for offering to see where they are buried . That would be great .
              Evelyn Porteous .
              Ah! That would be Barony College of Agriculture, locally referred to as ‘The Barony’. It was a private estate which was bought by Dumfries County Council and opened as as Dumfries Farming School in 1935. It’s not actually in Dumfries. It’s out the back of the hamlet called Parkgate approx 8 miles east of Dumfries. A former colleague of mine was once the librarian there. What a pity you hadn’t posted this last week as I could have asked her where best to look for staff records as we met at a colleagues funeral on Tuesday this week.
              Nevertheless, if I don’t come up trumps with the newspaper indexes, I’ll email her.
              The last Valuation Roll online on SP is 1940 and Angus is not in Dumfriesshire then.
              Leave it with me and I’ll have a good look everywhere I can think of.

Comment

Brilliant to both of you . I feel I am getting closer. The reason I am anxious to find them fairly quickly is my local church in Spott,where Angus was born ,is having an open genealogy day ,and we are inviting local people who have a connection to Spott to come along and see what they can find. We are very proud of a large beautiful stained glass window dedicated to Angus`s wife Marion Robertshaw . The cherry on the cake would be a headstone or photos
                Fingers crossed
                Evelyn

Comment

There is a 1944 record arriving back from India with address of Southleigh, Corstorphine Rd, Edinburgh. Indian Agricultural service again.

nothing in the papers, I think there is quite a gap of papers in that area in middle of century
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks cbcarolyn, pretty sure this is them . His sister`s address is not far away in Edinburgh.

Comment

Am in Ewart Library. Not best pleased that these idiots currently in charge have even removed the Nithsdale Burial Index out to storage!! This search could take me a while
                      If you are online anytime soon could you please post full dates of death to save me going through the death notices for the whole of 56 and 72. Ta muchly

Comment

It’s okay. Found funeral notices for them. Sadly, it doesn’t look like there will be a gravestone as Angus was cremated in Edinburgh. Marion’s funeral announcement says her funeral was private. No indication if buried or cremated. Will post images later on.
                        Have checked also for a couple of weeks beyond Angus’ funeral announcement for an obituary but no luck.
                        The first mention of Angus being the being the proprietor of Wayside is the 1951 - 1952 Valuation Roll which was valid from Whitsunday 1951 to Whitsunday 1952. Image to follow. The previous owner Miss Elizabeth J Kerr died in 1951.
                        Should be home in a couple of hours have a few things to do.
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 27-03-23, 12:53.

Comment

Here we go at long last. Apologies for the delay. Auntie (godmother) has another stroke. Today just went to h*ll in the proverbial handcart.

As there is no instant access to the Nithsdale Burial Index and things now take a week's notice to consult (Grrr!), I rang the Council's burials department but nobody answered so I tried the switchboard and they got no answer either. The lass took the dates of the funeral announcments and that at least one them was cremated in Edinburgh and sent an electronic request for them the contact me. Knowing how slow the wheels of council grind, they may not reply in time for your event. You might be quicker to telephone Warriston crematorium in Edinburgh and ask them to check their records to find out what happened to Angus' and Marion's ashes as I have since discovered they were both cremated there. n.b. the dates in the Book of Remembrance are the actual death dates, not the cremation dates. I am hoping that they will have a record that both sets of ashes were reurned to Dumfries in which case there may be a gravestone/tablet in a graveyard somewhere in town.There was no crematorium in Dumfries at the time. We have only had one since 2005.

Warriston Crematorium
                          Warriston Road, Edinburgh EH7 4HW
                          Email: warriston@edinburghcrematorium.com
                          Telephone: 0131 552 3020
                          Last edited by GallowayLass; 27-03-23, 22:11.

Comment

MACLEAN, Marion Death Notice 1956.jpg
                            Marion's death notice Dumfries and Galloway Standard
                            Last edited by GallowayLass; 27-03-23, 22:12.

Comment

Marion's entry in the Warriston Book of Remembrance 1956

MACLEAN, Marion Entry in Warriston Crematorium Book of Remembrance 1956.jpg
                              Last edited by GallowayLass; 27-03-23, 22:10.

Comment

Angus' death notice Dumfries and Galloway Standard.

MACLEAN, Angus Death Notice 1972.jpg

Comment

Angus' entry in Warriston Book of Remembrance 1972

MACLEAN, Angus Entry in Warriston Crematorium Book of Remembrance 1972.jpg
                                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 27-03-23, 22:09.

Comment

First mention of Angus being the owner of Wayside in 1951 - 1952 Valuation Roll for the County of Dumfries. line 972. Back then, properties that far out on the Edinburgh Road were not within the boundary of the Burgh of Dumfries although they were in the parish of Dumfries. Note he's still a civil servant rather than Principal of the College of Agriculture.

Wayside, Edinburgh Road, Dumfries, Valuation Roll 1951-1952.jpg
                                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 27-03-23, 22:35.

Comment

Maxwelltown West Parish Church (Church of Scotland) where Angus' funeral service was held before leaving for the crematorium.

Maxwelltown West Church Dumfries.jpg

Comment

Dunno what is going wrong with this post. I give up LOL Will try again tomorrow.

Last edited by GallowayLass; 27-03-23, 23:39.

Comment

Working...
                                        X