No announcement yet.

What became of Ethel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The will arrived today. It was written in 1917 - Agnes left everything to her husband, with the addendum that if he pre-deceased her, her estate was to be divided between her two children, Philip and Ethel. Agnes died in Gt Ryburgh in 1927. So, not of any help with locating Ethel post 1917.
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 27-03-23, 16:21.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Still haven't found anything for Ethel post 1911 census return, but haven't been able to DISprove the theory that the 1959 Kent (Bridge reg dist) death reg for Ethel W Boulter wasn't her either.

Also seems very feasible that the Violet L Boulter, Yarmouth reg dist death 1953 aged 66 yrs was that of Ethel's sister-in-law. As I can't find any likely alternative death reg , I'm of the mind that the 1958 death at Eton is very likely the death of Philip Pullyn Boulter , Ethel's brother. I can find no probate record for any of these three.
      Neither can I find grave references for them, nor for Walter Ernest and his widow Agnes Maud. Perhaps Walter Ernest decided to be cremated and all the rest followed suit?

Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

if it isn't her death, maybe she left the country not found anyone travelling. But married and then travelled?

pinning hopes on the wills.

the other deaths do seem to fit, Philip could have been staying with friends or family.

Just stumbled across this https://www.staybehinds.com/philip-pullyn-boulter
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-03-23, 13:04.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks Carolyn. The Thursford village archives also have info on Philip junior, who was shot down over Germany in 1944 and was later buried at Hamburg. He flew out of a nearby airfield - East Norfolk had several, due to its proximity to the North Sea.

I did try to chase up all the Ethel (and +W) Boulter marriages after 1911 and to follow them through up to 1939, as I didn't find MY Ethel in either 1921 or 1939. My first thought, on not finding her, was that she had very probably married. However I didn't manage to solve the puzzle. I will try to retrieve my scribbles and have another go. I did wonder if she did nursing during WW1 and went to France or Belgium - return docs for travel to/from the continent didn't used to be retained afaIk. I also wondered if Philip jnr had a house upgrade in Gt Ryburgh and then moved on to Thursford as a result of his inheritance??? As his parents lived in at Doctor's House until the death of Walter, I assume there was no property involved when Walter died. However, the parental estate was valued as £758 for Walter in March 1927 and had reduced to £473 when Agnes died in December. I will send off for the will of Walter tomorrow, but I suspect it may have been written in 1917 at the same time as Agnes's, which is totally lacking in detail and looks like a DIY job.

In Blogs you had Richard Fairman Boulter's death date as November 2013; may I ask where you found the date please, as I haven't managed to retrieve it? Was the death in Yarmouth Reg Dist? I found a record for a Richard F Boulter living in Yarmouth 2002 -2004.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

it is on ancestry

​Name Richard Fairman Boulter
            Gender Male
            Age 90
            Marital Status Married
            Record Type Cremation
            Birth Date abt 1923
            Death Date 3 Nov 2013
            Death Place James Paget Hospital, Gorleston
            Burial Date 15 Nov 2013
            Burial Place England
            Cemetery Great Yarmouth Crematorium
            Occupation Retired​
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
              The will arrived today. It was written in 1917 - Agnes left everything to her husband, with the addendum that if he pre-deceased her, her estate was to be divided between her two children, Philip and Ethel. Agnes died in Gt Ryburgh in 1927. So, not of any help with locating Ethel post 1917.
              missed the post about will, I think I read before edited :( what a shame no result.

At least you know she is alive and unmarried in 1917, you would think they would put where she was living!
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-03-23, 16:08.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you for the death details, Carolyn
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

In 1930 and 1931 an Ethel Boulter was recorded on the electoral registers - she was at the Royal commercial travellers school, Uxbridge Road, Pinner. There were no later registers on FMP.

So, perhaps after the death of both parents, she was employed there in some capacity?
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

could be likely, looking at 1921 for that place and can't see her on there.

it has its own number
                    • Piece number
                    • Enumeration district number
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks for that, Carolyn. The whole "Quaker" line seemed to have enough money to live comfortably and, in other branches, the ladies seemed to do quite a lot of "visiting" to other relatives and friends. So it is quite possible that Ethel did this too and was away from home for census night 1921. I'm feeling that there is a good possibility that the death reg is for her.
                      At the end of the day she is just a peripheral twig on a parallel line, but I do like to tie up all the ends whenever possible. Some of this line of the family led quite interesting lives, resulting in a varied and traceable paper trail. Pity Ethel and her brother didn't leave wills.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

not right person
                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 29-03-23, 23:56.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

not right person

Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

not right person
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Look what I have found....
                              Published: Sunday 09 April 1950
                              Newspaper: Weekly Dispatch (London)
                              County: London, England
                              Type: | Words: 148 | Page: 5 | Tags: none​

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 00.46.33.png

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 00.53.02.png
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 29-03-23, 23:54.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Carolyn - you are a STAR

I'm obviously rubbish at searching the newspaper site! Can't thank you enough for finding this. Perhaps she was out of England from 1914 onwards ??? Doesn't sound as if there was much sibling bonding between Ethel and Philip, does it?
                                That's my Easter break sorted - googling Red Cross volunteers and internment camps!

Excellent detective work on your part, thanks again.
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I am not sure why I didn't find it sooner, I think I was concentrating my efforts on earlier papers. Wonder if she did come back and that is her death. Will have another look tonight, maybe there is another report. seems odd that it did make the papers, but what a result that it did.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Seems the camp at Besancon was for British people and was open between 1940 and 1941. After that some of the internees may had been moved on to other camps. Someone kept a diary whilst in the camp and this was eventually published as a book. I will have to see if I can buy a copy as it would add a bit of dimension to my profile of Ethel.

ETA Have managed to find a second hand copy on Amazon and have placed my order. IF, as Ethel claimed, she became a leader/voice for the internees, there may even be a reference to her
                                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 30-03-23, 14:29.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Well done, have read this thread and a great find. Hope the book proves helpful.
                                      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

wow - that is great about the book, fingers crossed you get a result

good feeling to get interesting outcomes.
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Great find Carolyn 😊

I don't have a subscription, but a free search on Filae has a 1931 census entry in Paris for Ethel Boulter born Royaume-Uni (which I know from watching Eurovision is the United Kingdom 😁)

ADDED: She even got a mention in parliament!! See "Retained Passports (Security For Loans)"
                                          Last edited by teasie; 31-03-23, 00:26.

Comment

Working...
                                          X