What became of Ethel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What became of Ethel?

Ethel Winifred Boulter was born Plumstead Kent, birth registered Q3 1887. Her father was Walter Ernest Boulter (a doctor, who was employed at the Woolwich Infirmary, where the family lived in) and Agnes Maud, late Hogg, formerly Jones.. Ethel had a younger brother Philip. Both children were at the infirmary with their parents in 1901 and 1911 and the parents were also recorded there in 1921. In 1911 brother Philip Pullyn Boulter sailed to Canada to farm - he joined the Canadian army and served in WW1, marrying in England in 1918. He and his wife Violet went to Canada and had a son in 1920, but later returned to England and settled in Norfolk.

I can find nothing for Ethel after 1911. nothing apparent in 1921 or 1939, can't follow through a possible marriage, couldn't link her with her brother and family in Canada. The parents died in 1927 - Walter in February and "of Plumstead Infirmary" and effects left to widow & probate granted London. Widow Agnes died November & probate granted at Norwich to son Philip in December 1927.

The only feasible death registration I can find is 1959, Bridge Reg dist, Kent - Ethel W Boulter b 1887. I suspect this is probably my lady; but, if so, where was she between 1911 and 1959?
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

guess could be worth getting the wills? nothing jumping out, sounds like you have covered all bases.
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-03-23, 22:53.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

NB there are 2 children returning from Canada. another b 1924. Wonder why he didn't continue in medicine

I think it is Richard Fairman Boulter d Nov 2013
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Big thank you Carolyn - you've raced in to my rescue once again!

I didn't know about a second child - Ethel's sister-in-law was nee Firman so Richard Firman Boulter sounds in keeping with the family naming patterns for a child of her brother Philip.
        Does Ancestry have incoming travellers? What year did they return?

I found Philip Pullyn Boulter and wife Violet on the 1939 Register. They were in Walsingham Norfolk. There was an additional redacted entry, which I assumed was their son Philip Pullyn B jnr - I know assumptions are dangerous but I bet we all make one occasionally. I need to go back and look for Philip P junior in 1939, although he may already have joined/been called up, in which case he wouldn't have been added to the register. He was killed in WW2 when his plane was stot down over Germany.
        I had wondered about the change of occupation for Philip sen. When he married his occupation was corporal in the Canadian army and his address was that of his parents (dr's house, the infirmary.) Violet's address was Clandon Park hospital - I do wonder if she was "nursing" and if that is how they met?

​​​​​​​I have a copy of Philip's war service record somewhere. I will see if I can find it and see if any injuries are mentioned. Whilst he still a masseur in 1921, perhaps he became unable, physically, to continue in that career?
        I will see if I can find out anything for the second son.
        So you have given me some leads to follow through.

However, I'm still looking for clues about Ethel! The probate register website states no will for the lady who died in 1959.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Philip was injured and sent to Clandon Park, so looks like that is how he and Violet met. He was given permission to marry.
          Following his injury, it seems he had septic sores on his legs and that that was why he was sent to Clandon Park. He resumed military duties, but I'm not sure he went back to the front line. 1921 census recorded him in Canada as a masseur, but perhaps he lacked the necessary body/lower limb strength to continue in this career?
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have Philip (1891) marrying Violet Louise Fairman.

Incoming Feb 1925 to Southampton with the 2 boys.

I guess as only one redacted it is Richard. Philip probably volunteered so was already gone.

I would think it is worth getting the parents wills, they may have left something to her, and will have an address. Even if it was some personal item they may have added her.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

there is a photo on ancestry with the following description
              "From the back of the picture: Taken on 30 May 1892 at Longlands Road, Sidcup, Kent. Sitting is Agnes Maud Boulter (nee Hogg), holding son 11-month-old Philip Pullyn Boulter; his sister, 5-year-old Ethel Winifred Boulter is sitting on the ground. THe other two ladies are only given as initials: JCW and MGJ."

Walter Ernest Boulter death is on deceased on line - guess will be little info on there though

When did Philip sen die, I can only see one in Eton in 1958
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

I have notes that Violet, the wife of Philip senior, died at Yarmouth in 1953. Philip died in Eton in 1958.

!n 1926 Philip & Violet lived in Gt Ryburgh, Norfolk. By 1930 they were at Thursford. There is a plaque commemorating their son Philip Pullyn Boulter in Thursford church- also a photo of him in his flying jacket.

! saw the photo of Agnes on Ancestry.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  there is a photo on ancestry with the following description
                  "From the back of the picture: Taken on 30 May 1892 at Longlands Road, Sidcup, Kent. Sitting is Agnes Maud Boulter (nee Hogg), holding son 11-month-old Philip Pullyn Boulter; his sister, 5-year-old Ethel Winifred Boulter is sitting on the ground. THe other two ladies are only given as initials: JCW and MGJ."

Walter Ernest Boulter death is on deceased on line - guess will be little info on there though

When did Philip sen die, I can only see one in Eton in 1958
                  I have not researched the line of Agnes as I have no connection with her family. However, her birth surname was Jones, so MGJ could well be a family member. Thank you for posting that - I can see the picture but am unable to read comments.

Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

not finding anything about Ethel, perhaps with all that medical knowledge in the family she went to have a career in medicine, maybe a nurse.

think I would splash out £1.50 on one of the parents will, looks like they died close together so will may be similar.

Wonder why philip senior died in Eton, maybe a connection with Ethel.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

found this

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 00.02.43.png
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

he had a plaque too

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 00.09.15.png
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                          not finding anything about Ethel, perhaps with all that medical knowledge in the family she went to have a career in medicine, maybe a nurse.

think I would splash out £1.50 on one of the parents will, looks like they died close together so will may be similar.

Wonder why philip senior died in Eton, maybe a connection with Ethel.
                          Yes, I wondered about that.

Have sent for the will of Agnes, as she had already been widowed. Hadn't realised they were so cheap, these days! If necessary, will send for the will of Walter.
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks for the newspaper clippings - I had looked, but searched for Walter Boulter and go no hits.

2 children - let's hope the will names them!
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

wills have been £1.50 for a few years now, I feel, unless they have fallen out with her, she must get a mention. I don't think they take that long these days.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

The Ethel (37) and Richard (8) coming into Liverpool from Montreal on the 1st December 1923 will be staying c/o London Joint City and Midland Bank, Ludgate Hill, London. And although coming from Canada, their last permanent residence is listed as Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Konovolov View Post
                                  The Ethel (37) and Richard (8) coming into Liverpool from Montreal on the 1st December 1923 will be staying c/o London Joint City and Midland Bank, Ludgate Hill, London. And although coming from Canada, their last permanent residence is listed as Japan.
                                  I saw them, I think I may have dismissed as she said she was married, but she could have just said that. Think she is in a few records
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

in case it is her these are the details
                                    1923 c/o london joint city & midland bank

in 1920 from Vancouver does say Ethel M and is a wife. Richard born in England

1920 arrival Liverpool - cannot read address! Japan perm address Ethel Married

Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

I don't think it is her

Name Robert Boulter
                                      Gender Male
                                      Age 29
                                      Birthdate 1885
                                      Marital Status Married
                                      Marriage Date 16 Nov 1914
                                      Marriage Place British Consulate, Dairen, China
                                      Spouse
                                      Ethel Marie Brazier Boulter
                                      FHL Film Number 1818455
                                      Reference ID PG 4 ln 7
                                      BOULTER, RICHARD BRAZIER BRAZIER
                                      GRO Reference: 1915 D Quarter in HEMEL HEMPSTEAD Volume 03A Page 1489
                                      ​​
                                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 24-03-23, 16:16.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks, ladies. I think there was another Ethel around at that time with a connection with Canada. I didn't make a note but I think she may have been married to a George?? Boulter.

Let's hope the will comes through early next week.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X