Deciphering a name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering a name

Hello, please can anyone tell me what they think the name is under the 2nd Abraham? It's been transcribed as what I would say was a girls name but says son and I can't find the same transcribed name on any other records!
    Thanks
    Tessie
    Attached Files

Amberlane?

Comment

What census is it from, what address and where is place of birth?

Comment

I'd say Amberlane, Though I suspect it should be Amberline a gypsy name that is. [in case you didn't know] add that to the surname and occupation and i'd say a high probablilty that they were gyspies.

Last edited by Darksecretz; 21-03-23, 07:13.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

A variation of forename and a different surname was the only thing that came up with a search in ancestry version of birth index to 1837-1915 for Amber* *well. Same names on GRO online. Is this the person? Surname on the census looks like BOSWELL.
          BEWELL, AMBERZINA WALKER -
          GRO Reference: 1894 S Quarter in SCULCOATES Volume 09D Page 199
          ​

Comment

This came up when I googled Amberlane https://www.nameslook.com/amberlane/
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Hi all, yes it is transcribed as Amberline and they are a gypsy family!

I can't find an 'amberline' on the birth records though. Interestingly on the following census there is a 'William' with the same birth year (within a year) of Amberline so I wonder if Amberline and William are the same person!

There are also other children with what I assume are gypsy names that I'm also not able to find.

Interestingly, there is a birth record for 'Young Lydia Boswell' but I can't find anything on her (and there are plenty of Boswell children in the same location with what I think are different parents) and a 'Schilly' (transcribed) but I think that is a girl called Ann Celia!!

Also, it seems Abraham Boswell married Lydia Evans but Lydia uses Elizabeth/Ann occasionally!

I obviously also can't find a marriage for Boswell / Evans.

Tessie
              Last edited by tessie31082; 21-03-23, 11:07.

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                Hi all, yes it is transcribed as Amberline and they are a gypsy family!

I can't find an 'amberline' on the birth records though. Interestingly on the following census there is a 'William' with the same birth year (within a year) of Amberline so I wonder if Amberline and William are the same person!

There are also other children with what I assume are gypsy names that I'm also not able to find.

Interestingly, there is a birth record for 'Young Lydia Boswell' but I can't find anything on her (and there are plenty of Boswell children in the same location with what I think are different parents) and a 'Schilly' (transcribed) but I think that is a girl called Ann Celia!!

Also, it seems Abraham Boswell married Lydia Evans but Lydia uses Elizabeth/Ann occasionally!

I obviously also can't find a marriage for Boswell / Evans.

Tessie
                Gypsies were really quite bad at getting their children bapt/registered, there are some really strange names out there as well, have a look at the link I posted on post number 4
                Last edited by Darksecretz; 21-03-23, 17:01.
                Julie

Comment

I had help some years ago looking for a Boswell family - and it turned out they also used the surname Rogers. Someone on FTF knew to look for the other surname, but I can't remember why.

Comment

could be worth looking in the papers

off out but a lot of abraham boswells mentioned here
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                      I had help some years ago looking for a Boswell family - and it turned out they also used the surname Rogers. Someone on FTF knew to look for the other surname, but I can't remember why.
                      it was my travelling family that swapped back to the mothers maiden name, even though father still there.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

there is an Ambelina mentioned in 1889 newspaper on BNA with father and brother.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

This one looks as though it might be along the same lines, although it is 2years early to be yours, who was only 8 (or so they said!)
                          Births Sept 1860
                          BOSWELL Hameline Cardiff 11a 198
                          ​
                          Anne

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                            could be worth looking in the papers

off out but a lot of abraham boswells mentioned here
                            https://newspapers.library.wales/sea...r=desc&rows=12
                            That's a lot haha!!

I wonder if this is 'my' Abraham. It seems that it is the righ kind of area and he was apparantly very well known and at some point a 'king of the gypsy's'!

Comment

here is the clip - it is under town of Llanboidy

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 18.35.53.png
                              ​
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

here are a few more
                                Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 18.48.57.png

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 18.38.51.png
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

That's a lot haha!!

I wonder if this is 'my' Abraham. It seems that it is the righ kind of area and he was apparantly very well known and at some point a 'king of the gypsy's'!
                                  He could be yours - age out a bit though, has a daughter Delia age 20 which fits with some trees, but I have not looked that closely, guess lots of names repeat themselves in these families
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

He could be yours - age out a bit though, has a daughter Delia age 20 which fits with some trees, but I have not looked that closely, guess lots of names repeat themselves in these families
                                    You're not wrong there about names! Most of them seem not to be registered/married either so ... a tree that seems to have gone to task has him as 'King of the Gypsys' and one of his children is definately in my tree - can't see anything to argue against that, it's whether any of the other paper reports match - some names are the same!

Thanks

Comment

worth just looking at all the Boswells in Pembrokeshire registers, as lots of odd names!

and Glamorgan

a few there with (H)ezekiah mentioned, he is also in welsh newspapers
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

We were told that we have Romany gypsy in our family, though I think I know where it is just not where it began, fascinates me!
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X