X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph John Freeman, Dissenting Minister, 1774-1851

Looking for more information about
    Joseph John Freeman, Dissenting Minister, 1774-1851
    Is this your ancestor? Explore genealogy for Joseph Freeman born 1794 London St Clement Eastcheap with St Martin Orgar, Middlesex, England died 1851 German Empire including research + more in the free family tree community.

There is a bio about him (listing his name as John Joseph F.), indicating he was born in London, educated at Hoxton Academy, served as Congregational pastor at Kidderminster before he was sent as a missionary by the London Missionary Society (LMS) to Madagascar.

His wife was Esther Shrimpton.

He baptised Sarah Coverly, d/o Geo. Ed. Coverly and his wife, Maria Judith Freeman in Kidderminster. I haven't been able to establish a connection to him and Judith, but it seems (quite) likely that there is one. Judith's father was Charles Freeman.

His bio said he returned to Britain in 1837, yet I can't find him in the 1841 (only using FS). It would be nice to find him or his wife in the 1841.

It would also be nice to find his death registration (if he died in the UK) and that of his wife. His bio said he died in 1851, but not where nor the month. If he's in the 1851, I haven't found it on FS. Finding him in the 1851 census and/or finding a contemporary obit for him would be nice.

Thank you for looking!

oh, just found this register, he's on pg 28

Comment

That's a great find PF. Doesn't say where he died though. Had a quick look and couldn't find anything here, also couldn't find a will.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

?? It says he died at Homburg in Germany on 8 September, 1851 (top of next column). According to ancestry’s places list, there are three places called Homburg in different states in Germany. The book doesn’t make it clear which one.
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 20-03-23, 14:17.

Comment

Hah! Found them in the 1851

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I'm just seeing FS' transcription, does it give a birthplace for daughter Fanny? FS just says British Subject, but she was likely born in Madagascar.

And FS is connipting when I ask to flip to other household members. When/where was Esther born?
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 20-03-23, 21:37.

Comment

I'm not having any luck with an 1841 entry. It's pretty easy to pull up other of their children that were baptised in the UK, but I'm more interested in JJ Freeman's connection to Judith F Coverly

Comment

The 1851 Census birthplace for Fanny is Mauritius.

Ancestry free to view image. To view the image, right click & open in new TAB, remove "&maxWidth=520" from end of URL to show full size image.

Comment

Here's a portrait if you've not seen it before.
                https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...4669734%29.jpg

It's from the Welsh Portrait Collection at the National Library of Wales
                https://viewer.library.wales/4669734#?xywh=-2191%2C-335%2C6733%2C4224
                Last edited by keldon; 21-03-23, 12:33.
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Have you seen this site? Both Joseph John Freeman and Charles Freeman are in the database but I cannot see the connection between the two or work out why JJF should be on it at all. Very confusing website!
                  You can sign in as guest. See instructions on home page.
                  Last edited by keldon; 21-03-23, 12:55.
                  Phil
                  historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

keldon Great find! Interesting, it's an engraving, and looks like it would have been part of a book. Yes, I know about the website

Comment

There's a bit more bio here
                      https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ence_from_1832

"In 1851 Freeman’s health deteriorated rapidly, as he suffered from exhaustion and anxiety. Seeking relief, he travelled to the German spa town of Bad Homburg, but he was afflicted by rheumatic fever there. He died on 6 September 1851, and two days later he was buried in the English section of Bad Homburg cemetery." End Quote

Can't see anything on Find a Grave.
                      Last edited by keldon; 21-03-23, 14:04.
                      Phil
                      historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

keldon great article (not a complimentary quote for Freeman in it!). It also has a citation for an obit that I think I can find on google
                        Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X