Revisiting Louise/a's Missing Marriage Cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting Louise/a's Missing Marriage Cert

About ten years ago, I asked for help with a missing marriage certificate for Louise/a Richards to Thomas William Bowyer, but everyone came up with the same result - nothing!

Last week I came across a new to me birth certificate for a Louisa Richards. Born 10 October 1856 to Louisa Richards nee Allen and George Richards, St Giles in the Fields and St George Bloomsbury. I also found her in the RG4-8 records on Family Search.

1861 Camberwell, London - Louisa is living with her father George, mother Louisa and four brothers. Her baby brother is named Albert aged 2.

1871 Clerkenwell, London - Louisa is a servant, aged 16 years, living with the Wadsworth family.

1881 Clerkenwell, London - Louisa is now married to Thomas William Bowyer, plasterer, with their two children. Louisa will eventually have 10 children, and she dies in 1912, Hampstead London. Her eldest child Louise/a is born in 1877, St Pancras. They lived in the St Pancras/ Hampstead area of London.

One of the reasons that I am somewhat optimistic that I have the correct mother Louisa are the naming patterns. She has a son named George, plus another son is Thomas Albert. George and Albert were not Bowyer family names.

So - I am still missing a marriage certificate, plus all the children appear not to have been baptised. Any ideas of where to go now?

Thank you,

bcrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

I still haven’t found anything in marriage indexes in ancestry, FMP or ScotlandsPeople (in case they had gone to Gretna Green etc.)

Comment

They may never have married. Was her husband married previously?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        They may never have married. Was her husband married previously?
        I have at least two families in my tree that didn't marry until after the children were all born. And then the marriage record show the groom was a widower and the bride was a spinster in each of the families. And they appear in censuses as husband and wife prior to the marriage.

bcbrit - not sure if you've thought about the children's birth registrations? They might have skipped baptism, or if they baptised in non-conformist churches, perhaps those records are lost. I have one of those, too.

Comment

Have you got the birth certs? Any other names for the mother?

My thought is one or both parties was already married, so may never have married or as photo says married many years down the track.

Comment

here is the previous thread.

Not finding anything, does seem odd that there is not one.

Were the children baptised, I am not finding them atm.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Have you searched for a marriage decades later??

One of my Granny's sisters had an awful married life with a wastrel seaman of a husband, had 10 children and died at the young age of 38. All but one of her children led atypical lifestyles.
              The eldest Mary Ann (born 1881) set up house with William D, a marine fireman, and their first child was born in 1899. Mary Ann and William had eight children in total, although not all of them survived early childhood. After the life her mother had had, I can understand Mary Ann's reluctance to marry, even though both she & William were single.
              The couple did eventually marry in 1940, 41 years after the birth of their first child. I think probably this was because William was nearing the end of his working life and reaching eligibility for the old age pension. At that time a married man was entitled to a larger weekly pension rate than a single man and also, in the event of death, a surviving widow was eligible for a pension.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for looking. I appreciate it.

1 - I have a few of the birth certificates for the children, but have been unable to find baptisms for any of them. All the children were born in the St Pancras, London area. I guess my next job is to see if any of the local churches were bombed in the WW2.

2 - Louise/a the mother died in 1912, and her husband died in 1937. He did not remarry.

3 - Louise/a was in the 1911census as separated, and on her death certificate was noted as widow, by a son in law. However in the 1911 census her husband was living a few doors down from his
                son in Barnet.

4 - Thomas William Bowyer (1856 -1937) came from a family where everyone was baptised. His brothers and sisters baptised their children. So it seems very odd that Louisa and Thomas William didn't
                baptise their children.

I will keep on looking! This is a 30 plus year old mystery. Hopefully one day I will find the marriage certificate.

Thanks again,

bcbrit
                George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

4 - Thomas William Bowyer (1856 -1937) came from a family where everyone was baptised. His brothers and sisters baptised their children. So it seems very odd that Louisa and Thomas William didn't baptise their children.
                  While my unmarried couple did baptise their children (tho not in a timely fashion, usually in batches), lack of a marriage might have been something they didn't want to explain to a clergyman. The couple that I'm thinking of, when they did marry, seemed to take up temporary residence in a different parish and marry at that location.
                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 18-03-23, 22:34.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
                    Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for looking. I appreciate it.

1 - I have a few of the birth certificates for the children, but have been unable to find baptisms for any of them. All the children were born in the St Pancras, London area. I guess my next job is to see if any of the local churches were bombed in the WW2.

2 - Louise/a the mother died in 1912, and her husband died in 1937. He did not remarry.

3 - Louise/a was in the 1911census as separated, and on her death certificate was noted as widow, by a son in law. However in the 1911 census her husband was living a few doors down from his
                    son in Barnet.

4 - Thomas William Bowyer (1856 -1937) came from a family where everyone was baptised. His brothers and sisters baptised their children. So it seems very odd that Louisa and Thomas William didn't
                    baptise their children.

I will keep on looking! This is a 30 plus year old mystery. Hopefully one day I will find the marriage certificate.

Thanks again,

bcbrit
                    All C of E churches had to submit an annual copy of baptisms, marriages and burials to the local diocese - BTs (Bishops Transcripts.) Often these are now housed in local archives/county record offices. It might be worth your while trying to research what C of E parishes there were in St Pancras during the relevant dates, where the old registers for are deposited, which have been copied/transcribed and are available on line. Also the same for the corresponding BTs. You may then be able to do some online searches and eliminate some parishes from the list.

Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

there are records on FMP of Thomas on reg of electors, but don't think any new news, in Friern Barnet where he seemed to remain.

If you could post the addresses on the birth certs, I can have a look where the local churches were.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

When was the first child to the marriage born bcbrit? if it was after 1875 then this might mean that there will only be registrations of their births.

What was the birth registration Act 1875?

It was on the all-important date of 1 January 1875 that the Registration of Births and Deaths Act 1874 came into effect andregistration became the responsibility of the parents, or the householder where the birth took place, on penalty of a £2 fine​
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

here are a few of the births, I know already found but thought might be useful to see

Annie in Islington, can't find a couple atm, so potentially could be in same church

BOWYER, LOUISA ELLEN RICHARD
                          GRO Reference: 1877 J Quarter in PANCRAS Volume 01B Page 110
                          BOWYER, ANNIE RICHARDS
                          GRO Reference: 1879 S Quarter in ISLINGTON Volume 01B Page 242
                          BOWYER, THOMAS ALBERT RICHARDS
                          GRO Reference: 1882 S Quarter in PANCRAS Volume 01B Page 95
                          BOWYER, EDWIN RICHARDS
                          GRO Reference: 1885 J Quarter in PANCRAS Volume 01B Page 79
                          BOWYER, EDWIN ARTHUR RICHARDS
                          GRO Reference: 1889 M Quarter in PANCRAS Volume 01B Page 87
                          BOWYER, LILY RICHARDS
                          GRO Reference: 1895 J Quarter in PANCRAS Volume 01B Page 89
                          ​ ​​​
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                          X