Name deciphering help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name deciphering help please

I'm struggling a bit with Sarahs fathers first name, can anyone else make it out please, I know what it looks like but other transcriptions have transcribed it totally wrong.
    thank you for looking.

Sarah Stanrod bapt 1743.jpg
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Looks like esho, but not the same as the e in ellen. Also looks like a feint letter after the o, an r or n?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
      Looks like esho, but not the same as the e in ellen. Also looks like a feint letter after the o, an r or n?
      Thanks Kyle I was/have been seeing Eshor/Esher/Eshom? FS have it transcribed as Thos!! er.. nope.. appreciate the reply, thank you.
      Julie

Comment

Could it be a surname? Or a weirder biblical name?

Comment

Whatever it is has been abbreviated as there is a colon after it.

Comment

Well...I like Thos...

The 'T' has an odd flourish on the top left. The 's' has ink that's faded in the middle, giving it the appearance of a colon.

Or not.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              Could it be a surname? Or a weirder biblical name?
              Not a surname as the actual surname is Stanrod.. or a variant of...
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                Well...I like Thos...

The 'T' has an odd flourish on the top left. The 's' has ink that's faded in the middle, giving it the appearance of a colon.

Or not.
                Nope I definitely see ?sho

have a look at this and see what you think.

William Richards son with same name .jpg

now FS have also transcribed this... but not as Thos in the page before!...
                Julie

Comment

Isho?

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                    Isho?
                    who knows? I'm still seeing Esho[r] or Eshom which sounds kind of like hebrew ish.
                    Julie

Comment

Nope. Still like funny capital 'T' followed by "hos." If you look at the "Will'm" that follows, the second 'l' is fading as the pen/stroke runs out of ink. I think the same is happening with the 's' in "Thos"

or whatever...
                      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 15-03-23, 16:55.

Comment

Do you have a link? On FS?

Comment

Do you have a link? On FS?
                          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

here you go Sarah, thanks for having a look.
                          Julie

Comment

Agree with Thos for both examples.
                            Glen

Comment

I Have inverted the images, so it might be a bit clearer

sarah stanrod inverted.jpg

inverted 2.jpg
                              Julie

Comment

At the bottom of the left page, there are examples of the letter 'E'.

Those are not the same as the letter in your examples.

I went forward several pages to look for a readable capital 'T' - apparently Thomas was an unusual name in the parish? Couldn't find one.
                                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 15-03-23, 17:21.

Comment

My thought is that it may be Christopher. A weird cross for the "Christo" bit and then a squiggle for the p then her. I have seen Christopher written as Xpher before.
                                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

At the bottom of the left page, there are examples of the letter 'E'.

Those are not the same as the letter in your examples.

I went forward several pages to look for a readable capital 'T' - apparently Thomas was an unusual name in the parish? Couldn't find one.
                                    I've only reached 1744 atm Sarah the Thos's have been before that, I began in 1694 and am working my way forwards.

I can see a Tho in 25 Nov 1740 Martha d/o Tho and Sarah Haber if that helps?
                                    Julie

Comment

I can see a Tho in 25 Nov 1740 Martha d/o Tho and Sarah Haber if that helps?
                                      oooooohhhh look!! is IS Tho... by eck!

inverted 3.jpg

I feel a bit daft now!! why didn't I think to invert the blooming thing earlier!! twit!
                                      Julie

Comment

Don't know if this will help but I approached it from a different angle. Thought I would see if I could find a marriage for a surname of Stanrod to a Sarah in Derbyshire. Using the Derbyshire records on Ancestry, what I found was a Burial for a Gorg Stanrod with parents Thomas and Sarah on 18 March 1756 at Pinxton. As the original image you posted was from the Pinxton registers in 1743, I think it might be worthwhile considering that this was another child of the couple and his name would, therefore, be Thomas. I have not found the marriage, nor the Baptism of Gorg.

Another burial I have just found is for a Robert Stanrod with parents Thos and Sarah in Pinxton 0n 4 April 1742.

Having checked again, the name Thomas is written in full on the burial record for Gorg.

Pat
                                        Last edited by Elderflower; 15-03-23, 18:07.

Comment

Working...
                                        X