If anyone has some spare time ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If anyone has some spare time ..

to help me work out who Thomas' parents are!

On a tree I'm working on there is a Thomas Taylor, who says he's born in 1839, Melksham on the 1871/81 census' (living with his wife Mary Ann nee Leveridge).

On Ancestry hints for 1851 census it has him being the son of Danl (Daniel I assume) and Edie (Edith) b.1835 (baptism 1836 but father down as David).

Then on another hint for 1841 census, there is a Thomas Tayler (notice the slight different spelling) with parents as above.

However, there are several different baptisms when just searching on Ancestry for Thomas Taylor/Tayler also born in Melksham so how do I know if the 1841/51 hints are correct for my Thomas Taylor/Tayler?

I also have a bit of a problem with Thomas' wife

Thanks Tessie

In the marriage cert , Thomas Taylor to Mary Ann Liveridge, Thomas, a Plate Layer of full age, father Isaac Taylor, marries Mary Ann Liveridge, a minor, father George Liveridge on 22 Dec 1861 in Chippenham.

Does this match your couple?

Will do a bit more digging?

Last edited by ozgirl; 11-03-23, 15:40.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thomas Taylor, son of Isaac was baptised 2 Jul 1837 in Wootton Bassett.

Thomas Taylor/Tayler son of Daniel (Writing in Baptism very ambiguous, could be either Daniel or David depending on how you squint. However in Census he is down as Daniel). It looks like he married Mary Ann Bolwell in DecQ 1860 in Melksham. By 1871 they have 4 children, Rosina, Frederick, Arthur and Lewis, all mmn Bolwell (once misspelled as Bodwell) in GRO. Thomas is an Ag Lab.
      Linda

Comment

One of the trees on Ancestry has another Thomas Taylor, this one born ca 1845 in Calne, marrying Mary Ann Liveredge. However the dob doesn't match (he would only have been about 15 when married) and the Mary Ann they have was born in London and died young. Additionally, the maiden name of the mother of the children attributed to this marriage was Whittaker, so a complete shambles.
        Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          One of the trees on Ancestry has another Thomas Taylor, this one born ca 1845 in Calne, marrying Mary Ann Liveredge. However the dob doesn't match (he would only have been about 15 when married) and the Mary Ann they have was born in London and died young. Additionally, the maiden name of the mother of the children attributed to this marriage was Whittaker, so a complete shambles.
          Hi Ozgirl,

I seem to have seen all these as at some stage which is where I got confused with the hints Ancestry is throwing at me!

I think now that the Thomas Taylor I have didn't marry Mary Ann Leveridge as I've now looked up the son's birth (Arthur b.1868) on the GRO and his MMN is Bolwell!!

Will now try and find the Taylor/Bolwell marriage and according to your message above that Thomas WAS the son of Daniel/David so that will tie up who his parents are

Thanks

Comment

I now have Thomas and Mary Ann on a few census and Mary Ann's baptism etc.

The thing I can't find is their marriage.

I looked on the GRO for the eldest daughter shown on the 1871 census - Rosina - and the only birth I can see born in the Melksham area is 1859 but MMN is Smith not Bolwell?

So I thought she had been married before Thomas but I can't find a Smitl/Bolwell marriage either

I'll keep looking as I must have missed something but I can't see it!!

If anyone wants something to do on a Sunday afternoon or evening then I'd appreciate any help

Thanks

Tessie
            thought I would post here - as deatils on here about rest of family
            TAYLER, ROSINA BODWELL
            GRO Reference: 1861 S Quarter in MELKSHAM Volume 05A Page 104
            ​​
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

David and Daniel are notorious for being mistranscribed as one or the other.... Do the other children's births have Bolwell as MMN? ahh just seen lindas post about the children/surname etc...
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I still can't see a marriage using Bodwell / Bolwell! Will keep trying different spellings of all the surnames

Comment

marriage

First name(s) Thomas
                  Last name Tayler
                  Marriage quarter 4
                  Marriage year 1860
                  Registration month -
                  MarriageFinder™ Thomas Tayler married one of these peopleMary Ann Bolwell, Harriet Pepler
                  District Melksham
                  District number -
                  County Wiltshire
                  Country England
                  Volume 5A
                  Volume as transcribed 5A
                  Page number 243
                  Record set England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005
                  Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
                  Subcategory Civil Marriage & Divorce
                  Collections from Great Britain, England​

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...jY1MS40My4wLjA.
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-03-23, 19:24.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

Marriages Dec 1860

Bolwell Mary Ann Melksham 5a 243
                    Bull John Melksham 5a 243
                    Pepler Harriet Melksham 5a 243
                    Tayler Thomas Melksham 5a 243

from FreeBMD
                    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/searc...es&action=Find

I will usually try and pair up the other couple ie: John Bull & Harriet Pepler that way if I can find them in say the 1861/71/81 and especially if they had children to check the index to see the MMN to confirm that John did marry Harriet, then in all probability Thomas did marry Mary Ann.
                    ​
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-03-23, 06:50.
                    Julie

Comment

tessie31082 I will add though I haven't checked out the census for them, I don't have a current sub to any of the sites that do have census images. Good hunting!
                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                        tessie31082 I will add though I haven't checked out the census for them, I don't have a current sub to any of the sites that do have census images. Good hunting!
                        This is the right marriage

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

This is the right marriage
                          did you find the other couple in the census then?
                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                          X