No announcement yet.

The Savages of Wootten Rivers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You give births for Thomas and Ann as 1804 but when they married by banns in 1823 there is no suggestion that they were minors and no parental consent is noted.
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

There is a baptism for Thomas on 09 Dec 1792 - parents Thomas and Mary- at Wootton Rivers.​
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Death: Wiltshire, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-1916
      Name Thomas Savage
      Age 43
      Birth Date 1793
      Burial Date 14 Apr 1836
      Burial Place Wootton Rivers, Wiltshire, England

First name(s) Hannah
      County Wiltshire
      Last name Savage
      Record type Parish Registers
      Burial year 1834
      Record set Wiltshire Burials Index 1538-1990
      Burial date 02 Dec 1834
      Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
      Place Wootton Rivers
      Subcategory Parish Burials
      Residence Wootton Rivers​
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks for those, Kat, I'll follow them up later. Unfortunately I have to go out for the day so no time for researching today

BUT...

Yesterday I followed up one of the trees on Ancestry that had some photos of people in this part of the tree (always a good sign) and I sent a message to the tree owner in Australia. Overnight I had this reply....

We are descended from Elizabeth Gale Savage b. 1829–1911 BIRTH 5 JUL 1829 • Wootton Rivers, Wiltshire, England
        DEATH 15 MAY 1911 • Newlands, Tynet, Enzie, Scotland. Elizabeth and her sister Ann, your great great grandmother, were born in Wooten Rivers. Elizabeth's parents were Thomas Kingston Savage and Ann Gale. Elizabeth and Ann were very young when ther parents died and it looks like their sister Mary ended up being ressponsible for them. Elizabeth ended up working an Inn at Devizes, Wiltshire. Apparently is was frequented by well off travellers and that might be how she made her way to Scotland where she worked in the Gordon Castle and Estate in Fochabers in the northeast of Scotland.
        You may be able to see this in our tree. I think it is public. If you ever get your DNA tested we will know for sure if we are related .

Cheers, Gillian

WOW! RESULT!

Wish I had time to follow it all up today - she has some interesting information on her tree which is here https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...d=122118316135 Including an interesting comment re Thomas Kingston Savage. She has the same birth / baptism dates that Kat found plus this comment "See Burbage Baptisms "begotten in sin?" No father's name"
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

she hasn't been able to solved the age mystery, she must have been one of the trees I looked at, as she has all the census, and they all have birth years of 30 and 31, starting with baptism at 29. Her husband was born in 31 maybe she didn't want to be older than him, so continued being 2 years younger.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

As their parents died when they were young and Mary had to bring them up maybe she got things a little muddled? a great success though with the new contact Gardengirl look forward to any updates.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

What is it with some people?! After two or three instant responses to my messages via Ancestry, the contact gave me her email address and I sent her a photo of my great grandmother and a newspaper article which had lots of relevant family names and info in it. And have I had a response since? NO! Not even an acknowledgement or a thank you
              Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

do you think it got there? if there were attachments some people have 'vigorous' spam rules. I would message on ancestry to see if they have it
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I did that, Carolyn, 48 hours ago, and I can see that she has read it but still no response. To me it just feels plain rude! I know sometimes we all get busy but it only takes a few seconds to reply and say ‘thanks, I’ll have a look at that later’. I’m really fed up and wish I hadn’t bothered offering and sending her things.

Comment

Gardengirl I have had ones like that too, I even went to a village to take photos for her last summer and got no reply, then Hey Presto last month had a lengthy email and we are now collaborating on a narrative history of a particular ancestor. Hope you get a response eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                      What is it with some people?! After two or three instant responses to my messages via Ancestry, the contact gave me her email address and I sent her a photo of my great grandmother and a newspaper article which had lots of relevant family names and info in it. And have I had a response since? NO! Not even an acknowledgement or a thank you
                      Oh I know about that! trouble is that it riles us beyond words! and then we get cross because of their inability to be polite!!

I feel for you, I really do....
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                      X