francis halliwell & anne markland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• francis halliwell & anne markland

francis halliwell married anne markland in 1812 at st peter's leeds. they are here in north leeds, 1841:https://www.ancestry.com.au/imagevie...2?pId=14952775

the kids are their daughter eliza's, married to matthew warren in 1835.

can anyone see what happend to francis and anne? i'm struggling to find anything more on them.

Keeping in mind I don't know the geography...
    HELLIWELL, FRANCIS 69
    GRO Reference: 1845 M Quarter in WORTLEY UNION Volume 22 Page 525

And maybe this one for her?
    Ann Helliwell
    27 Jun 1842
    Ecclesfield, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
    Sheffield, St Mary, Ecclesfield, Yorkshire (West Riding), England
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6618-ZSWG
    HELLIWELL, ANN 57
    GRO Reference: 1842 J Quarter in LEEDS Volume 23 Page 270

Wait,those must be two different ANNs - ages are quite different
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-03-23, 15:56.

Comment

Cannot use .com au here.
      1841 Shear Street
      Spelt differently and with a Sarah age 25 and no Eliza. The only one I can see for 1841 is this one:
      Name: Francis Helewell
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1776
      Where born: Yorkshire, England
      Civil parish: Leeds Town
      Hundred: Leeds Borough
      County/Island: Yorkshire
      Registration district: Leeds
      Sub-registration district: Leeds North
      Piece: 1347
      Book: 6
      Folio: 7
      Page number: 6
      Francis Helewell 65
      Ann Helewel 60
      Sarah Helewell 25​
      ​There are two children with Sarah a
      ​James Marron 3
      Ann " 4 mths.
      Is the above family the correct one?
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 09-03-23, 20:29.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Is this Eliza's husband? If so I assume you have Eliza's details and just need the parents' further censuses/deaths?

Record details
        Name Matthew Warren
        Age 27
        Birth Year 1813
        Birth Place Gloucestershire
        Arrival Year 1840
        Arrival State New South Wales
        Status M 1m
        Ship Woodbridge
        Occupation Cloth dresser

Name Matthew Warren
        Age 26
        Estimated Birth Year 1813
        Date of Trial 9 Mar 1839
        Trial Year 1839
        Location of Trial Yorkshire - West Riding, England
        Sentence Transportation​
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 09-03-23, 20:30.
        Kat

Comment

DUH! Just realised that the Sarah in the 1841 census is really Eliza and her two children (transcribed as Marron) are Warren.
          Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

"the kids are their daughter eliza's, married to matthew warren in 1835." ... Francis doesn't have a daughter Sarah.
          Kat

Comment

btw did you know Ann was a widow when she married Francis?

Screenshot 2023-03-09 213749.jpg

The Sheffield death is way south of Leeds and the age would be wrong although I cannot find another suitable one.

HELLIWELL, ANN 57
            GRO Reference: 1842 J Quarter in LEEDS Volume 23 Page 270

Looks ok ish, but birth would be a bit out ie. born c1785 - do you have her baptism?​
            Kat

Comment

Ann's burial at St. Marys, Mabgate, Leeds:

9 Jun 1844 Ann Halliwell of Shear Street, aged 65, wife of Francis Halliwell.

GRO have the surname wrong:
              HELLEWELL, ANN aged 65 GRO Reference: 1844 J Quarter in LEEDS Volume 23 Page 284​
              Last edited by teasie; 09-03-23, 23:21.

Comment

Earlier the same year at the same church - not sure if she's connected though:

4 Feb 1844 Sarah Helliwell aged 41 of Shear Street, Single Woman

Comment

Thank you everyone, that is the correct 1841 census.

The only death i could see for francis was in wortley, but it's quite far from leeds.

I was thinking the 1844 leeds death was anne's, but couldn't spot any burials. good to have confirmation.

I'm working on this family wondering if they might be the parents of my ancestor, but i have no proof. Was hoping to find thejr death certs, and see who the informants were.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                    Is this Eliza's husband? If so I assume you have Eliza's details and just need the parents' further censuses/deaths?

Record details
                    Name Matthew Warren
                    Age 27
                    Birth Year 1813
                    Birth Place Gloucestershire
                    Arrival Year 1840
                    Arrival State New South Wales
                    Status M 1m
                    Ship Woodbridge
                    Occupation Cloth dresser

Name Matthew Warren
                    Age 26
                    Estimated Birth Year 1813
                    Date of Trial 9 Mar 1839
                    Trial Year 1839
                    Location of Trial Yorkshire - West Riding, England
                    Sentence Transportation​
                    That must be him, marriage recorded him as a cloth dresser.

Comment

so i bought the death certs for anne and sarah hellewell in 1844 leeds, and the death for francis in 1845 at wortley.

anne and sarah are correct, informants are george and eliza yates respectively. eliza had married matthew warren in 1835, and had a son james in 1837. matthew was transported in 1839 to nsw and haven't been able to find out ultimately what happened to him. eliza has then married george yates in dewsbury in 1840. i believe the "anne warren" in the 1841 census is supposed be jane yates b.1840 bury lancs, as there is no sign of any birth regs after james's for warren's. eliza and george are traced in census entries with children (until 1855) until she dies in 1872 leeds, buried in the beckett st cemetery.

the death for francis i'm unsure of. 15 jan 1845, thurlstone. francis helliwell, 69, b.1776. cropper, cause of death asthma. informant: "elihu brown", in attendance, thurlstone. he was buried at penistone. my francis was a cloth dyer according to the marriage, and baptism records. in 1841 and anne's death in 1844 he is a cloth dresser. a cropper, from what i can spot, does work with cloth. so the age is right, and i can't see another francis in the 1841 census. there is a birth at huddersfield in 1777, father thomas.

i can't see a marriage for a markland to an anne either, on ancestry or FMP.

none of this answers my question whether this is my family also. quite a few trees have them as the parents of dorothy halliwell (c.1812 burial/c.1816 from 1841 census- d.1848) who married lawrence ambler (b.1812) in 1832 leeds. wittnesses emmanuel and sarah rushworth (rushforth). emmanuel's father was john ruhforth and mother sophia patterson. sarah was his wife. but without knowing anne markland's maiden name, i can't see a connection. i also don't know who lawrence ambler's mother was. he was the son of john, and there are 3-4 marriages of a john ambler in the right period. i was hoping lawrence or dorothy might have been an informant on one of the deaths.

Comment

francis also appears to have 4 children prior to marriage with anne, including sarah (age 41 at death c.1803, but bap for 1811) but can't see any info on a prior marriage or wife's burial.

Comment

Working...
                        X