Help with Daisy please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Daisy please.

Daisy Campbell Mawdsley was born 31 Jul 1903 in Earlestown, Lancashire. I have her in the 1911 at home with her family. Next possible sighting is a marriage between Sidney Whitty (b1898) and Daisy C Mawdsley in Jun Q 1920 - the bride would have been 16 years old. It looks like Sidney is with his family in 1921, no sign of Daisy anywhere.

As far as I can see in 1921, Daisy's father (Thomas Leigh Mawdsley) is with her brother George; one sister (Sarah) has married, one sister (Bessie) has died, and the remaining 2 siblings, Edith and John emigrated to Australia in 1915. In John's military record, dated 1918 he states his mother Mary is dead. I haven't found that record yet.

Next sighting of Daisy is also in Australia when she marries Cyril Hills in Yass in 1930. I have managed to find Cyril and Daisy (now calling herself Joan) through the electoral rolls, all the way until Cyril's death in 1991. A newspaper report regarding Cyril's probate names her as an executor, as Daisy Campbell Hills. Daisy/Joan died in 2007 according to Ancestry trees.

Meanwhile Sidney is next seen in 1939, with his wife Ellen and at least 2 children. According to the GRO Ellen's maiden name was Davies, but I cannot find a marriage for them.

Can anyone find when Daisy went out to Australia, or confirm that the marriage to Sidney was her, or was it a different Daisy C.

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Not finding a thing on ancestry or FMP other than the marriage index entry. I found it on UKBMD.org where it’s listed as a civil marriage or registrar attended ceremony and the groom is mistranscribed as Sidney WHITTTY and the bride is mistranscribed as Daidy C MAWDSLEY however there is another entry where Sidney’s surname is correct but Daisy is still Daidy. In the ancestry version of the marriage indexes, using Sidney as the search person, his spouse is given as Mandsley but if you use Daisy as the search person, her surname is spelled correctly. Well done you for finding it in the first place
    There’s no parish register image on either ancestry or FMP which leads me to think it was a register office marriage although there are many churches whose registers are not yet online so not 100% conclusive.

Comment

there is a Daisy C Whitby on FMP and Ancestry - seems to be on her own 86 Earle Street Earlstown. says she is a domestic
      28 Aug 1923
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 05-03-23, 20:59.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

AD8178B5-AA62-45F6-9B21-64BD3CF9CA0F.jpg

If this is your Daisy in 1911 then she emigrated as Daisy C. WHITBY 28 August 1923 out of London and into Sydney, NSW as a 3rd class passenger on the ‘Esperance Bay’. Her UK address was still as the above census.

9302A336-9CBF-4916-B741-EBBCCAF880FF.jpg
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 05-03-23, 21:05.

Comment

It seems that NSW passenger lists on the state website only go up to 1922. Perhaps their rules mean that 1923 arrivals will not appear online till 1924?

Comment

Sidney Whitty was baptised in 1903 at St. John the Baptist, Earlestown along with two other siblings. Daisy Campbell Mawdsley was baptised in the same year in the same church. Presumably they knew of each other from childhood? As she would only have been 17 in 1920, I’m still thinking of a register office wedding if her parents were not keen on the match.
            I don’t see any children on the GRO online index searching Whitty or variants with mms Mawdsley or variants in the correct area.

Comment

Wonderful GL and cbcarolyn, that certainly looks like her arriving in Sydney. So it looks like it is the same person who later morphed into Joan. Many thanks
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I guess divorce was still not something you did back then for the ordinary people, so maybe why no marriage. Perhaps why Joan introduced in Aus?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Sidney WHITTY’s parents were;

WHITTY William HAYNES Fanny Amelia 1892 St John the Baptist, Earlstown

Cannot find a marriage in England, Wales or Scotland that fits for Sidney and Ellen. GRO online index shows Sidney jnr. on the 1939 Register to have been registered at birth as Sidney Davies WHITTY so it’s likely that Ellen’s ms was DAVIES as per the mms for the two children.

Doris WHITTY born 1929 died unmarried 1949
                  Sidney Davies WHITTY married 1952 Ann Lilian MOTH Manchester Register Office or Registrar Attended. Can’t find any children.
                  Ann is listed as Lilian in 1939 Register as at school in Holly Mount, Tottington near Bury. Her sister Elizabeth (listed as Betty) is there too. Very annoyingly, neither girl appears on the page image when I click the link and even worse, I can’t find either of them at all on the FMP version under their maiden or married names.

Lilian Moth[Ann L. Whitty]
                  Female
                  Single
                  28 Aug 1929
                  Holly Mount
                  Tottington, Lancashire, England
                  At School
                  Inmate
                  Nxjg
                  Tottington
                  462a-1
                  Betty Moth[Elizabeth Lucas]
                  Female
                  Single
                  8 Aug 1929
                  Holly Mount
                  Tottington, Lancashire, England
                  At School
                  Inmate
                  Nxjg
                  Tottington
                  462a-1

At the time, Holly Mount was a school and orphanage for Roman Catholic girls but it did also take boys at one point. Details here. http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/TottingtonHollymount/
                  The girls were not orphans though as I think I have found their parents in 1939. Not living together as the mother was living at 100 Market Street, Tottington listed as married with another much older single lady. Both of them were doing unpaid domestic duties and the father was on his own at 12 Wovenden Street, Oldham working as a railway carriage cleaner and also with the ambulance service.

The parents were;
                  MOTH John Henry LYONS Elizabeth Mary 1929 Prestwich Registrar Attended

​​​​​​​There were two further children, both boys but will not post names as likely still alive. New info. the youngest one born in the last year of WW2 is in a tree on ancestry as having died 25 January - presumably that’s this year.

Right then missus, it’s way past my bedtime. Hopefully there something there that helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X