Is this the end of the search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the end of the search?

I'm at the point where I think I'm out of options trying to unravel a batch of relatives in my DNA matches. There are around 20 shared matches that go back to Edward Kinslow and Anne Walsh but private trees and conflicting information on findagrave, familysearch and elsewhere don't help.

Edward is said to be born in Ireland, England or Philadelphia around 1840. Anne in Leeds or England, around 1845 or 1850. Some name siblings (including a twin brother called John). Some say her parents are English, others say Irish, some don't name them and others do. All I know for sure is there are no Walsh births in the Leeds area matching any of the claims made about her or her family in the bmd. The only thing they agree on is that she married Edward Kinslow in 1869 in Philadelphia.

As for the matches I'm seeing, the closest is a 2nd-3rd cousin, maybe a half thrown in there somewhere and a great grandchild of Edward and Anne. I don't know if one or both are my ancestors or of it may be a sibling. I'm not even sure when they went to the USA. There is no overlap with any other matches on my maternal side and the link to me could be anytime from 1924 backwards. I don't know where to start as it seems the important info isn't there for making a start let alone anything else.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

I can't offer anything helpful, but how very frustrating for you, Glen
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Glen,
      i found this which tallies with the scant info you have, so let us know if you want to pursue further

Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
        ...so let us know if you want to pursue further ...

Christine
        Couldn’t help myself - there’s a lot of information on various memorials on findagrave - how reliable it is, who knows and you may already have seen it.
        When Anne Walsh and her twin brother John were born in 1845 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England, their father, John, was 22 and their mother, Mary, was 24. Anne's parents had five other children—Mary (1844–), James (1850–), Elizabeth Betty (1851–), Sarah (1854–), and John (1856–1902). Anne married Edward Kinslow on January...

Would your DNA connection be via the Walsh line rather than Kinslow?

Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

If he is the Edward Kinslow who died in 1907 his soldier's pension record has him as alias Edward King.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Screenshot 2023-03-03 114326.jpg
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
            If he is the Edward Kinslow who died in 1907 his soldier's pension record has him as alias Edward King.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery.../10428025:4654

Screenshot 2023-03-03 114326.jpg
            That's the index card to a pension record. The pension record can (usually!) be retrieved. It would have his application for pension, and any correspondence he had with the department.
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 03-03-23, 15:25.

Comment

I know that but thought the alias King might have been important, assuming the record is his of course.
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 03-03-23, 16:17.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I know some of the bits on findagrave where created by a descendant of Edward and Anne, their surname comes up in my dna matches though I think it's another family member. My closest match on that side has a private tree and. I don't have the right names or even countries in my tree and they don't want to help, I wonder if that is because there is so much doubt about dates and places. There are around 15 in the group of shared matches.

The link is on my maternal side and the closest match is a 2nd-3rd cousin so I suspect it is around the Edward/Ann generation or possibly the one before but it seem there's nothing documented beyond census returns and we all know those can hide secrets. I also have another maternal 2nd-3rd cousin group of about 20 people, there is no overlap between the two groups but neither group matches to anyone linked to my maternal grandmother so it is either my grandfather or bypasses him completely somehow. DNA has proved I'm not a descendant of the Goulson line which on paper is my ancestral line through my grandfather. It's the fact they don't overlap or match maternal grandmother links that bothers me. I can't place any of the families with my lot at the right time or place and common communities with my mother are consistently in Ireland though every document/cert I have is Lincolnshire and a couple for events in Northumberland back in the 1840's.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                X