Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is Catherine, wife of James Freegard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Catherine, wife of James Freegard?

James Freegard and his wife Catherine lived in Bremhill, Wiltshire.

From census records, she was born in London circa 1792.

Can't find a marriage record for this couple. I don't have an active sub anywhere, so I'm limited to Familysearch (includes parish reg for Bremhill) and FreeReg(doesn't include this parish).

No known children for this couple.

1841: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M73P-ZT4
    1851: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZZ-6N5
    1861: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7V9-HTM

Hoping to find the marriage - and find her maiden name!
    Thank you for looking.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 26-02-23, 16:20.

Struggling to find a marriage to Catherine. There are 2 baptisms in Bremhill for James, one in 1790 and one in 1791, different parents but one of them marries Sarah. Not a lot of help but will make people aware to be careful.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Just looked on FMP. Don't have a sub though. Military James Freegard born 1792 Bremhill in army 1810. Perhaps someone could look it up please.
      Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
        Just looked on FMP. Don't have a sub though. Military James Freegard born 1792 Bremhill in army 1810. Perhaps someone could look it up please.
        I think I remember seeing it indexed on FS

Comment

this is the army record
          First name(s) James
          Last name Freegard
          Birth year 1792
          Birth parish Bremhill
          Birth town Chippenham
          Birth county Wiltshire
          Birth country England
          Service number -
          Private
          Regiment Lancers
          Year 1810
          Attestation date 05 Jul 1810
          Attestation age years 18
          Discharge corps 19th Regt Of Lancers
          Document type Discharge
          Archive reference WO 97
          Series Wo 97 - Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records 1760-1913
          Box 50
          Box record number 48
          Archive The National Archives
          Country England
          Record set British Army Service Records
          Category Military, armed forces & conflict
          Subcategory Regimental & Service Records
          Collections from Great Britain, England

I have put image on here https://photos.app.goo.gl/W1itwdvA721MhLgw7​
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

there is a tree with Barrett on it, but i can't see why they have put that as MMN
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I'm wondering if he married while in the Lancers, possibly overseas? That would explain the lack of possible marriage record matches.
              Anything that says how long he was in service?
              For the registrations of marriages overseas, when did that registration start?

cbcarolyn that link isn't working for me?

Comment

So, it looks from this FIBIS page, that the 19th Lancers served in India until 1821? Oh, the history book that it references indicates that they also fought in the US during the War of 1812

cbcarolyn was there only one page to the Chelsea Pensioner record?
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 26-02-23, 22:41.

Comment

Does this link work for you PhotoFamily

Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I can't see on the paper that it mentions any marriage. He served for 9yrs and 212days. He was discharged as he fell from a horse and sustained an injury where he couldn't sit on the horse for chest pains. His occupation prior to joining up was a labourer.
                    Julie

Comment

Is it just the marriage you want ? Do you have their deaths and burials? Don't want to go over things you have but seem as though James was living with close family nearby when he was widowed.

Think I got confused about another James as it is on a tree on Ancestry with the same death as I thought was you James. They didn't live in Bremhill though.
                      Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                        Is it just the marriage you want ? Do you have their deaths and burials? Don't want to go over things you have but seem as though James was living with close family nearby when he was widowed.

Think I got confused about another James as it is on a tree on Ancestry with the same death as I thought was you James. They didn't live in Bremhill though.
                        Not sure that Sarah/@PhotoFamily will see this yet, I think shes some hours behind us. Pretty sure she's trying to find out what this Catherines MN was.
                        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Not sure that Sarah/@PhotoFamily will see this yet, I think shes some hours behind us. Pretty sure she's trying to find out what this Catherines MN was.
                          Yep, it's Catherine's MN that I'm seeking, which (of course) could come from her marriage. Interestingly, she's from London, which raises the question - how did she meet him? And since we can't find a marriage record, I'm wondering if she had been following the Lancers or living overseas for whatever reason, and married him overseas.

Is this your ancestor? Explore genealogy for Catherine (UNKNOWN) Freegard born abt. 1792 London, Middlesex, England died 1867 Wiltshire, England, United Kingdom including research + more in the free family tree community.

Darksecretz thanks, link worked
                          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-02-23, 14:36.

Comment

Just wondering if Catherine's father was in the army and took his family with him. Not sure if they did that then but presume they did.
                            Lin

Comment

I thought Freegard sounded quite unusual, was astonished to see how many in that area!

Maybe he ended up in London for a while with Lancers
                              19th regiment of the Lancers

Can see he was there from 1810 to 1818 and a horse accident meant he was discharged.

this was the chap in charge on papers

and says he was " Major-General, 4 June. Command of infantry brigade"

19th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons (Lancers) (1816)​The history on the internet doesn't tie up with dates

looks like they were in India for a while.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

OK, take a peek at this
                                James Freegard
                                Male
                                St Philip & St Jacob, Gloucestershire, England
                                Clifton
                                Census
                                Brick Street
                                Chippenham, Wiltshire
                                Married
                                Pen Chelsea Hos 19th Regt Fort
                                Head
                                1954 / 149
                                HO107
                                James Freegard's Spouses and Children

Sarah Freegard
                                Wife
                                F
                                Cape Good Hope Brit Sub

​So, this James Freegard is married to Sarah, Occupation "Pen Chelsea Hos 19th Regt Fort​" which sure seems a lot like the guy who got the Chelsea Pension? Born in the wrong parish tho?

oh, oh, oh.

Comment

That is the other James I found on a tree on Ancestry married to a Sarah. So he was the soldier then.

They have the same death as you do. Feel yours is right as Henry the nephew, who was living with them is either in the same household or living nest door on a later census. Just going out but will look him up again later.
                                  Lin

Comment

seems to be no other clues about your James Freegard.

There are baptisms with James and Sarah as parents too, he seemed to be better at getting in the records! Catherine could be a second wife, but not liking him to be the other James as he was pensioned out and would have probably mentioned that in his census returns?

There is another record on Ancestry about the riding accident in teeny tiny writing.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

James who married Sarah and James who married Catherine are both in the 1851 censuses, different places. There both in the 1841 censuses, too (as I recall), but of course YOB calculations may be off in the 1841.

Yes, I suspect James and Catherine married later in life, didn't have children, or at least not in the UK and didn't survive. I don't know of another way to find Catherine's MN.
                                      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 28-02-23, 17:44.

Comment

Working...
                                      X