Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 61: My ancestor was a tobacco worker

Week 61: My ancestor was a tobacco worker

This is an opportunity to showcase a tobacco worker from your family tree, you might want to offer a short biography and speak about their work eg
    Name
    Birth location/date
    Family background
    Where you've found them on the census
    Their workplace/employer
    Any tips on researching this occupation?

Trades and Occupations - Family Tree Forum

[Next week: Bicycle maker]​​​​​

My fathers aunt, Lucy Everitt born 1907 worked at Players in Nottingham. She married Rupert Saxon in 1960 and died 1991 in Grantham Lincolnshire
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

my Aunt worked at the Black cat factory in Camden during the war. I didn't know until 1939 register was out and she was on there (alive at the time!). I asked Mum about it, and said did Aunt Rose smoke then, and she never smoked.

The building is now owned by ASOS and they have left the facade and the cats there. When my son went for an interview he told them that his great aunt worked there, he thought it was a bit of an ice breaker! he did get the job
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
        My fathers aunt, Lucy Everitt born 1907 worked at Players in Nottingham. She married Rupert Saxon in 1960 and died 1991 in Grantham Lincolnshire
        I remember there being an abandoned factory/offices near the university (satellite campus) when we visited with son, it looked very sad.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Yes, Carolyn, there was Raleigh and Players. 2 big factories that were neglected. Players is now Imperial Tobacco and have a huge building on an industrial estate, or they did a few years ago.
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            my Aunt worked at the Black cat factory in Camden during the war. I didn't know until 1939 register was out and she was on there (alive at the time!). I asked Mum about it, and said did Aunt Rose smoke then, and she never smoked.

The building is now owned by ASOS and they have left the facade and the cats there. When my son went for an interview he told them that his great aunt worked there, he thought it was a bit of an ice breaker! he did get the job
            I love that building, it's close to where my family had a grocers in Victorian times and we walked past and marvelled at it.

Comment

Working...
            X