Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another CLAXTON puzzle, which has me challenged!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another CLAXTON puzzle, which has me challenged!

Following on from my George and Lizzie Claxton thread, I have another missing couple.

George had an older brother, Robert Burton Claxton bp Burton Fleming (aka North Burton) in 1880. He was recorded in Burton Fleming in 1881 & 1891 - 1901 he was in Bridlington working as a labourer and boarding with the Cockburn family. Later that year he married Jane Elizabeth, one of the Cockburn daughters. They had Robert William (born Brid 1903) Walter (b Brid in 1906) Hilda May (b Brid 1908) & Gladys (born Brid 1909.) They then moved to the village of Cranswick, but removed from there on census night, leaving the completed form for the enumerator. They had two children at Driffield (Doris 1911 -1911) and Elsie (1912 - 13.)
    I cannot find Robert or Jane in 1921 census, nor can I find death registrations. I suspect that they had died as three of the children were in institutions in 1921 - Walter in Adel (Yorkshire), Hilda in Llanbedr Festiniog (Wales) and Gladys in Crosby (Lancashire). Robert William would have been 17/18 so probably in employment, but I can't find him either. I know this was the era of Spanish flu, but I would have expected to find death registrations. However, the family did seem to move frequently - in 1911 Robert stated he was a labourer on a farm and at that time the hirings still took place in this part of the world. So, he could have signed on for a yearly contract and then decided to move or his boss asked him to do so! In which case, perhaps no one knew enough about them to give accurate information to the registrar.
    All suggestions welcome!
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 19-02-23, 08:35.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

He is in the army records - 38450 RFA and 89599 Northumberland Fusiliers - he deserted.

Comment

As Jane was born in Loftus, could this be her death (Cleveland RD includes Loftus)

​CLAXTON, JANE ELIZABETH aged 74 GRO Reference: 1954 J Quarter in CLEVELAND Volume 01B Page 581​

ADDED: There is a Jane Elizabeth Claxton born Loftus c1880 in the 1921 census at Skelton. I only have access to the free index, but a William Claxton b 1874 West Rudham, Norfolk, and Hilda Taylor b1914 Brotton are with her, so possibly a different person.
      Last edited by teasie; 18-02-23, 03:10.

Comment

Burial at Hunslet Cemetery, Leeds

13 Dec 1913 Robert William Claxton son of Robert Claxton of 22 Paradise Terrace, Hunslet, aged 10. Grave No. 13384

The grave is a common one with unrelated people who all died within a few weeks of each other, but there is a memorial headstone containing all their names.

Comment

Thanks Teasie. I'm pretty sure the Jane in Skelton in 1921 is NOT her. Lots of folks migrated to Cleveland to work in the ironstone mines (Loftus was in that area so potential Loftus brides were readily available!) Also there was an adopted daughter Hilda Taylor, which I thinks fits with a 1905 marriage of William Claxton and Jane Elizabeth Taylor in the Cleveland area.
          The Hunslett burial is very interesting - Robert Burton had Claxton relatives in the Leeds/Hunslet area so it is possible one of them had found him a job, or it could be one of their offspring.
          The deserter is also interesting - I found an RB Claxton , but he was in the navy and came from Biggleswade.
          You've given me food for thought - thank you.
          The extended family bred like rabbits and used the same few forenames in each line, so sometimes they have taken a bit of sorting out
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks to Teasie's input, I tried to see if I could get any clues about the family's movements - the Driffield school's admissions register recorded that Robert William was enrolled on 10 April 1911 and left on 29 May 1913 and went to LEEDS!! So, it seems that, sadly, the Hunslet grave marker records his death and burial.

I'm still not sure about the army info as I only have access to FMP at present as well as free access to the medal cards roll on Ancestry. I cannot find any reference to Robert Burton, only to Robert and the odd Robert B. None of the records I can access include a place of birth, father's name etc. Just about all the Claxtons I can find in East Yorkshire are a part of my extended family; there is another prolific gang in North Yorkshire (where the head of my dynasty originated - this is a parallel extended family.) There was also a large extended Claxton family in Norfolk, but I don't think they have anything to do with my lot.

I'll see if I can access any West Yorkshire records re burials.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Have found a picture of the inscribed gravestone recording the death of Robert William.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

According to 1921 census, Gladys Claxton's mother is living. There seems to be some doubt about the condition of the parents of Walter &Hilda. The plot thickens - were these children abandoned, parents serving a sentence at his Majesty's pleasure, in a hospital/asylam, living with a new partner???
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hmmm - The parents are both on the electoral roll 1920 -1922 - 20 Cable St, Holbeck.

Is 1921 census searchable by street names?? Plenty of names if I search for Holbeck, no hits if I search for Claxton.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                    I'm still not sure about the army info as I only have access to FMP at present as well as free access to the medal cards roll on Ancestry. I cannot find any reference to Robert Burton, only to Robert and the odd Robert B.
                    The medal rolls give his full name and the fact that he deserted:

Claxton, Robert Burton.jpg

Comment

Jane Elizabeth Claseton (mistranscribed) is at 20 Cable Street, but no Robert.

a boarder George Pearson only other occupant
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-02-23, 17:20.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                        Hmmm - The parents are both on the electoral roll 1920 -1922 - 20 Cable St, Holbeck.

Is 1921 census searchable by street names?? Plenty of names if I search for Holbeck, no hits if I search for Claxton.
                        Yes you can, and from the free index its been transcribed as Jane Elizabeth CLASETON, at that address with George Pearson.

ADDED Apologies - it doesnt warn you if there's been another post so I didnt realise cbcarolyn had posted the same information
                        Last edited by teasie; 18-02-23, 17:39.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post

The medal rolls give his full name and the fact that he deserted:

Claxton, Robert Burton.jpg
                          Thank you Teasie - I can't access the medal rolls, only the medal cards.
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There is a newspaper article in the Leeds Mercury 10 May 1930 about a decree nisi being granted to Lily Brown formerly of Burley Place, Leeds now of Grove Park Terrace, Harrogate, against her husband Charles Brown for his misconduct with Elizabeth Claxton with whom he had lived at Cable Street, Marshall Street, Holbeck, Leeds

In 1931 at 20 Cable Street:
                            Charles BROWN
                            Jane Elizabeth BROWN

So is Jane Elizabeth BROWN really Jane Elizabeth CLAXTON?

Comment

Thank you Carolyn - I've got her now.

Just seen your post above

Wonder if Robert was in the glasshouse????? Perhaps Jane stayed on at the home and did her own thing to help the war effort??? ?

This particular set of brothers didn't fare too well with the army: James Frances was in the Wagoners Reserves (a group trained by a local landowner and all paid £1 per year + chance of bonuses, called up on the day war was declared and sent off to barracks. James Francis was declared unfit and sent home immediately - his total service had lasted for 187 days.)
                              Thanks to Teasie I now know that Robert Burton served in the army. but eventually deserted.
                              Then there was George Ernest who seemed to have a gay old time before abandoning his wife.
                              And then there was Archie, who lost a leg and was never able to work after his discharge in 1919, being pronounced unfit to .discharge his military duties.
                              Another brother, William, wasn't fit for military service and died in 1917. I'm unsure whether or not brother Joseph was in the military.

Thank you both for your efforts.
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

have you found his death?
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                  have you found his death?
                                  No. But now it seems that he and his wife parted company, I will need to search again, using different parameters and strategies. He could have remarried, gone back to where his mother and siblings lived, or one of his children, and horror of horrors, just morphed into Robert Claxton.
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

there is the marriage of Gladys in 1928 and I think it says his father says deceased.

NB still at 20 Cable street

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource
                                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-02-23, 19:30.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

His daughter Gladys married in Leeds in 1928 and on the marriage cert it stated that her father, Robert Burton Claxton, was deceased. Of course, she may not have been telling the truth.

We crossed posts again!

ETA - I don't think the same word is written for the groom's father, but I can't work out what it is.
                                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 18-02-23, 19:36.
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hilda May was still single in 1928

Teasie and Carolyn, I really do appreciate your interest and your input.
                                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 18-02-23, 19:46.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X