Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What became of George Ernest Claxton and Elizabeth Simpkin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What became of George Ernest Claxton and Elizabeth Simpkin?

Can anyone help, please?
    Elizabeth (Lizzy) Simpkin was born at Hull c 1880 & in 1901was recorded in Bridlington at the home of her aunt Mary E Simpkin, widow, born Hull. In 1908 she married George Claxton, born 1886 and a native of North Burton (aka Burton Fleming) and they were both recorded in Bridlington in 1911, George being a shepherd. There were no children of the marriage.
    George served in the army during WW1 (1915 – 1919) and was awarded the British war & Victory medals and the 15 star. However, it seems that after the war he did not return home to his wife and was eventually up at court in 1920 on a charge of neglecting her and later on a charge of bigamy, for which he was sentenced to 6 weeks in jail. His wife gave evidence at the court hearing for neglect, but was reported to be very frail, and as her husband had given her no financial support, she stated that she had had to go into the workhouse.

In 1921 George lived in at his place of employment (a farm at Goxhill East Yorkshire) and declared that he was married. (To whom?????? )
    I cannot find Lizzy in 1921 census. I cannot find feasible deaths or remarriages for either of them.

As an aside, George seems to have been a bit of a "bad boy." in 1916, a woman wrote to George's sister (they'd worked together some years previously) and asked if she could go and stay for a few days. She arrived some weeks later (December 1916) in a taxi, with no belongings and no money to pay the driver and they arranged for her to stay at the home of a relative. After a few days, they asked her when she was leaving - the woman announced she was pregnant and would like to stay until after the birth. The baby eventually arrived in late March 1917, but the mother died on 6 April as a result of puerperal fever. (This info is from a newspaper account of the inquest of the "mystery" woman.) In 1921 the child lived with George's mother and, after the death of George's mother in 1938, the child lived with George's married sister, where she was registered in 1939. A member of the Claxton family has added this child to her family tree, as the daughter of George. (She could well be right, given his track record and also through being privy to family info! I can't find out what happened to the child post 1939 - but that's a separate inquiry )

Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Deleted post
    Last edited by keldon; 16-02-23, 15:50.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

there is an Elizabeth Claxton death 1964 Buckrose district
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Hull Daily Mail 19 May 1920

Hull Bigamy Charge.jpg

Elizabeth Claxton is reportedly at 42 High St Bridlington.
        I'll look at 1921 census.

Marriages Mar 1920
        Claxton George E Kirk Sculcoates 9d 448
        Kirk Ada Claxton Sculcoates 9d 448​​
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Interesting:

H Simpkin Head Female 1848 72 Hull, Yorkshire, England Oldage Pension None ...Widow ....
          S Claiton Boarder Female 1878 42 Hull, Yorkshire, England Servant ...married ----------- CLAXTON???

Screenshot 2023-02-16 194738.jpg
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

That census entry clearly says Claxton in my opinion. Good find!
            Anne

Comment

is this Elizabeth in 1939 in Bridlington

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 22.54.56.png
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                Interesting:

H Simpkin Head Female 1848 72 Hull, Yorkshire, England Oldage Pension None ...Widow ....
                S Claiton Boarder Female 1878 42 Hull, Yorkshire, England Servant ...married ----------- CLAXTON???

Screenshot 2023-02-16 194738.jpg​ ​
                Brilliant, Kat , thank you. Definitely ClaXton and L for Lizzie.
                Just George to sort out now.

Thank you, Carolyn - I reckon that is her in 1939. I've just looked up Mrs Belt - she was a Machen before her marriage, which means nothing to me. Perhaps she was a relative of Catherine? My connection is George Ernest, who is just a twig on my Claxton line.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet in Yorkshire what about the death in 1964, is that likely?

Can't find George death seems to have vanished, maybe he went abroad
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

cbcarolyn

I wrote the following last night and THOUGHT I'd posted it - but must have forgotten to press Post reply. It came up NOW as restore

The 1964 death could well be her. For a couple of decades Bridlington and another district were amalgamated to form Buckrose. I should have twigged as I was born in Bridlington and my birth was registered in Buckrose!

Thank you all for your help. George is still missing.

I now have a mystery with one of George's brothers and the sister-in -law' I will start a new thread.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                    X